nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #215632
View in linear mode

Subject: "Better idea for vertical D70 grip?" Previous topic | Next topic
ieaarva Registered since 03rd Oct 2003Mon 15-Mar-04 11:56 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Better idea for vertical D70 grip?"

Oslo, NO

As far as I understand it is possible to control the D70 via the USB. So a vertical grip with a very short cable could connect via the USB which is close to the bottom of the camera anyway. Pretty much like the wireless unit connects to the D2h...

Iver Erling Ĺrva
Nikon SLR fan since 30 years - D300 user

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

vchong Basic MemberTue 16-Mar-04 01:42 AM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Better idea for vertical D70 grip?"
In response to Reply # 0

Victoria, CA

Yes, this would be possible but you would need quite a bit of electronics in the grip. The electronics on the grip would have to implement a USB compliant device and be able send USB commands using a point-to-point protocol to the D70. It's not impossible to do but without some custom manufacturing I don't think a do-it-yourself job would be very compact.

A FAR easier way to trigger the D70 would be to take apart the infrared remote control and extend the leads for the infrared LED. As a quick and dirty example, take the infrared LED and tape it to the infrared received window on the D70 body and tape the remote control to the bottom fo the D70. It's not glamorous, but it'd work as a vertical shutter release.

http://www.finearts.uvic.ca/~vchong/images/vchong.gif

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberTue 16-Mar-04 09:07 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Better idea for vertical D70 grip?"
In response to Reply # 1

Salt Lake City, US

Also, the Nikon USB connector isn't a standard design, so you'd have to buy an expensive Nikon cable to build your short cord.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

ieaarva Registered since 03rd Oct 2003Tue 16-Mar-04 11:23 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Better idea for vertical D70 grip?"
In response to Reply # 2

Oslo, NO

Yes, I know. But I was thinking more along the lines of 'perhaps it will be manufactured after all... ...perhaps not by Nikon, but by someone with the necessary production means. I never meant to suggest making it ourselves.

Iver Erling Ĺrva
Nikon SLR fan since 30 years - D300 user

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #215632 Previous topic | Next topic