Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #215540
View in linear mode

Subject: "Digital Film" Previous topic | Next topic
bilbobwn Registered since 14th Mar 2004Wed 17-Mar-04 06:25 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Digital Film"

CA

I'm putting together my want/wish list for the day I can walk into my local shop and put together my camera outfit.
My question (and I'm not sure this is the proper forum) is what about the digital film for this camera. I haven't been able to find out much about differences in types or brands (read, write speeds, is this even a concern?) Some say type I and others type II does that have a significance?
Am I still looking at this too much like an SLR user?

Thoughts on what others are using.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberWed 17-Mar-04 06:51 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Digital Film"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

Quit using the term "digital film". You're looking at memory cards and microdrives and you'll just confuse folks if you use the film terminology (one company refers to their memory cards as "digital film" but this just means if you use the term people will point you toward a particular brand).

There are differences in compatibility (not all cards work with all cameras), speed (some media writes faster, but the performance is also dependent on your camera's write speed and compatibility), media (solid state or a tiny hard drive), type (compact flash type I is thinner than type II cards, type II cards are pretty much all Microdrives) and price. Unlike film, if the card works with the camera there isn't any impact on image quality. The only functional difference you will experience is write speed and perhaps compatibility issues with other devices besides your camera.

You'll have a hard time finding much specific information on performance and compatibility of memor with the D70. You can at least get an idea looking at the compatibility and performance lists at robgalbraith.com

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

Lexar and Sandisk are usually a good bet for CF memory if you can't find specific recommendations. Although I own a microdrive, I've had one fail and I'm disinclined to buy them in the future.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Rally Registered since 31st Jan 2004Thu 18-Mar-04 02:19 AM
479 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Digital Film"
In response to Reply # 0

Auckland, NZ

Hi,

Check out this thread for a list of "approved" memory cards for the D70 from Nikon.

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID86/96.html

also check out the following information at dpreview

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #215540 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.