Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #1925
View in linear mode

Subject: "Canon is once again winning the race" Previous topic | Next topic
fgottlieb Registered since 01st Jun 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 04:43 PM
292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Canon is once again winning the race"

US

Canon just announced the upgrade to their Digital Rebel DSLR called the Rebel XTi only days after Nikon's announcement of the D80.
Not only has 10 megapixels, but also has a Self Cleaning Sensor, an auto-off LCD when one places the eye on the viewfinder, a free RAW image editor and with an 18-55mm kit lens, it undersells Nikon for $400 @ $899 MSRP.

Whether the self cleaning sensor works or not, it probably does attract those new dslr buyers who are worried about sensor dust (although the reality is that if you are careful is not that big of a deal) if nothing else, for its marketing value. I believe that this offering provides a very interesting proposition for new DSLR buyers.
Interestingly enough, it also includes a RAW image editor and it takes CF cards (even though the people in this very forum think that CF cards will be obsolete soon).

I don't know what, if anything, is Nikon planning to do.

If I were a newbie and not commited to the set of lenses that I have, on paper I would say that Canon has won the race again by providing what is perceived to be a better value.

I just ordered my D80 from Ritz and according to them is being shipped today. One of the reasons why I chose Nikon is becasue you don't have to get the $1000 + lenses to get good quality glass, and you can buy old lenses that are still outstanding (Nikon 35-70mm f2.8D, 50mm 1.8D among others) where with Canon the selection is much more limited.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nikon and unless they really drop the ball I will never switch, but I must admit that if I was starting from scratch, I would probably lean toward Canon for its perceived greater value.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Canon is once again winning the race
MstrBones Silver Member
05th Sep 2006
fgottlieb
05th Sep 2006
MstrBones Silver Member
05th Sep 2006
fgottlieb
05th Sep 2006
MstrBones Silver Member
05th Sep 2006
swyost Silver Member
05th Sep 2006
fgottlieb
05th Sep 2006
Covey22 Moderator
05th Sep 2006
Drbee Silver Member
05th Sep 2006
fgottlieb
05th Sep 2006
MstrBones Silver Member
05th Sep 2006
fgottlieb
05th Sep 2006
MstrBones Silver Member
05th Sep 2006
fgottlieb
07th Sep 2006
MstrBones Silver Member
05th Sep 2006
fspeeder
05th Sep 2006
     Reply message RE: Who cares?
LAR860
06th Sep 2006
drichi
06th Sep 2006
LAR860
06th Sep 2006
Tokyo Mike
07th Sep 2006
LAR860
07th Sep 2006
fgottlieb
07th Sep 2006
fspeeder
05th Sep 2006
F2AS
05th Sep 2006
Reply message Compare apples to apples...
dwright
05th Sep 2006
skorj
05th Sep 2006
Geoffrey4 Silver Member
05th Sep 2006
dwright
05th Sep 2006
swyost Silver Member
06th Sep 2006
fspeeder
05th Sep 2006
dwayner
06th Sep 2006
northjay1
06th Sep 2006
edmun
06th Sep 2006
northjay1
06th Sep 2006
MstrBones Silver Member
06th Sep 2006
Covey22 Moderator
06th Sep 2006
ZDude
06th Sep 2006
Reply message RE: Which race
Len Shepherd Gold Member
06th Sep 2006
northjay1
06th Sep 2006
F2AS
06th Sep 2006
MstrBones Silver Member
07th Sep 2006
briantilley Moderator
07th Sep 2006

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Tue 05-Sep-06 04:58 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 0

AW

Hmmm, well it still has a bad grip compared to the D80 or even the EOS 30D. The kit lens is low quality compared to the 18-135mm and self cleaning sensors are still unproven over the long term IMHO.

BTW, what makes you think that Nikon did not evaluate all the self cleaning technologies out there when they designed the D80? I don't think they deliberately thumbed their nose at what would seem to be a great feature.

I respectfully disagree that Nikon dropped any ball.

""

fgottlieb Registered since 01st Jun 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 05:13 PM
292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 1

US

David, the kit lens is the "improved" 18-55mm II lens. Whether that means that it is good lens or that it sucks less, who knows.

I don't know whether Nikon evaluated the self cleaning sensor option or not, but it seems more and more than DSLR manufacturers are inluding this feature (Canon, Sony, Olympus) as I said before, if nothing else for marketing value. Even so, Canon's offering is $400 less WITH the self cleaning sensor.

Think of it from the standpoint of someone wanting to make the leap into DSLR from P&S and hs $1000 to spend (which is part of the target audience). If you look at the market right now, the 3 biggest sellers are Canon, Nikon and Sony (I saw this on a different post around here). Two of those 3 offer a lens and sensor cleaning for $999 or less, one doesn't. If this was your first DSLR, you were not a pro or even an amateur, which one would you choose? What does Nikon offer(in the eyes of an inexperienced but hopeful photogrpaher) that justifies the $400 difference?
I would be dissapointed to have Nikon take the stance that they determine what is necessary in a camera even though consumers want certain features.

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Tue 05-Sep-06 05:46 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 3

AW

Fernando,

Two reviews indicate that the Canon lens is not that much different than the 350D lens. Imaging Resource's review was very impressed with the Nikon 18-135mm, comparing it to the very good 18-70mm in build quality and it's very usable focal length range.

When you take the lenses out of the equations, there is $100 difference in cost and at the bare minimum, the ergonomics, granularity of control and superior control layout of the D80 trounce the new Canon.

""

fgottlieb Registered since 01st Jun 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 06:01 PM
#7. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I am not disagreeing with you that the lens may be crappy. I actually had a chance to shoot wih the first generation's version when I first got my 20D and I took one outing's worth of pictures and sold it on ebay!

I think that you math is wrong, though. If you take lenses out of the equation, then Nikon's offering is $999 and Canon's offering is $899 MINUS the lens which is about a $140 lens so it's really a $759 body or $240 difference.

Having handled both cameras, the 350D and D70 (which should be similar in construction) I prefer the Nikon's feel to it. The Canon seemed very cheap, light and breakable, much more toy like. It also forces you to use a lot of menu options to change basics like exposure compensation, ISO and the like. But price is price and that's all that some people can afford.

I just hope that other buyers can see beyond the price tag. For me, Nikon is a better camera in every aspect, except the price.

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Tue 05-Sep-06 06:38 PM
#10. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 7

AW

Fernando,

You're right, I didn't subtract out the cost of the Canon lens, though I've not yet seen just a body only price in the U.S.

I've got to say, though, I think you got the better camera of the two, even if you spent a bit more to get it.

Regards,

""

swyost Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2007Tue 05-Sep-06 05:08 PM
693 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 0

US

It is certainly not my job to play moderator, but isn't this simply a Canon post in a D80 forum? There are lots of Canon forums out there to discuss new Canon offerings....

Stephen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

fgottlieb Registered since 01st Jun 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 05:18 PM
#4. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>It is certainly not my job to play moderator, but isn't this
>simply a Canon post in a D80 forum? There are lots of Canon
>forums out there to discuss new Canon offerings....
>
>Stephen

Stephen, not necesarily. I am a Nikon owner who just bought a D80 and I am feeling a little bit like I am always going to own the second best camera manufacturer since Canon is always one-upping Nikon in terms of features. At this point switching is out of the question because I still love Nikon and I have a lot of Nikon equipment(I have owned both Nikon and Canon, recently a 20D and never really liked it)

Is not necesarily buyer's remorse, but more like - why can't they get it right the first time? I want Nikon to be the undisputed #1 Camera manufacturer, not the competitor to Canon.

Canon's recent offering make me wonder also if the XTi is a better camera or better value (which are two separate things) than the D80.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 05-Sep-06 06:10 PM
10675 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 4

US

It's generally acknowledged that sooner or later, you will have to swab the sensor. Wet swabbing is the only way to get rid of really embedded dust and even Canon has not solved the idea of what to do with the dust once it's knocked off the sensor. They've resorted to the same tactic as Olympus did - create a sticky adhesive landing zone inside the mirror box. Guess what - this zone is not user-servicable. So sooner or later, you'll have to send that camera back to have the adhesives replaced. So how is this any better than the Oly E1 which is now almost 5 years old that introduced the technology in the first place?

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Tue 05-Sep-06 06:13 PM
5778 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 4

Naperville, US

Congratulations on you new D80. It should be a camera to last for many years.

I think Nikon got it right with every one of the last half dozen DSLR offerings - especially DX. If your business plan is succeeding, there is nothing wrong with being second or third, there is a problem with being fourth. Generally there are three survivors for a product focus in a general market place. "Avis" has even turned "second" into an asset.

Like you, I've stuck to Nikons for a while and the product philosophy has remained consistent, the ergonomics and design realization has been well executed and the images great. For me "best", would be Nikon, but you can also be "good enough" which for me is even more so Nikon. Viewing digital images at 100% reveals “flaws” that are for most beyond good enough.

While I have a D200, my dream camera is the D2Hs. For me the D2Hs may be the F3 of digital. Good enough forever. In fact some of these cameras are getting so good, it's hard to see how the current generations of DSLR are going to continue to attract enough buyers to pay for the engineering improvements. I think that is worrisome.

My last “best-images” were taken with a 20 year old FE2 when my D200 was getting tweaked by Nikon just before the warranty runs out.

If buyers would jerk their plans out of the mind-set created by the current marketing hype, they would be keeping their cameras longer, not worrying so much about the cost differences between x & y and buying instruments that will take the photos they need.

Reading the wedding photography forum is very enlightening. There you get a tutorial in what is sufficient to make money. It brings sanity to the discussion. There is often an economics driven discussion about what it takes to get a job done, rather than a technology driven fear of not having the best.

Respectfully Submitted,

Roger
Is it soup yet?

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

fgottlieb Registered since 01st Jun 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 06:49 PM
#11. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 9

US

I agree with you in terms of the fact that all of these technological advancements are, in fact, mostly marketing gizmos. I sent my Canon 20D to get serviced once a year anyway and never had any dust problems. I thnk that it's just another marketing technique to attract those pseudo DSLR and P&S owners who are afraid to jump to DSLR because of "all of the dust problems"

I am partly a tecnho geek myself so part of the thrill is getting not necesarily the latest, but a great gadget and I guess that I need to understand that a camera is more than just a gadget, is a tool to capturing great memories.

It's interesting to hear you say that your best pictures were captured with a 20 year old FE2. A good friend of mine let me borrow his Canon 1D. It's a behemoth of a camera with "only" a 4.1 MP sensor and the images that he has taken with that camera are outstanding.

I will post comments once I get the camera, I will probably be happily surprised, have to eat my words and realized that Nikon is a better camera and Canon simply has a better marketing department

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Tue 05-Sep-06 07:30 PM
#12. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 11

AW

Fernando,

Ok, you have a 20D. A great camera. Now go pick up a 350XT or the 400XTI. They have awful ergonomics, limited external controls, and to me, a tacky appearance. Your D80 is so nicely built, is loaded with functionality, has good external controls, great granularity of control over ISO, WB, etc, etc. You have a picture taking machine more comparable to the D200 than say, my D70s!

""

fgottlieb Registered since 01st Jun 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 07:54 PM
#13. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 12

US

The Canon 20D died a while ago and it was too much money to fix. That's what happens when you let your 3 year old take pictures!

I know exactly what you mean in terms of build. The 350XT feels like a toy camera and it's much too small on my hands.

My D80 is actually supposed to ship today from Ritz so I will update next week when I get it and have a chance to eat my words!

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Tue 05-Sep-06 08:10 PM
#14. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 13

AW

>That's what happens when you let your 3 year old take pictures!

Sounds like a violent death! Maybe you can post a picture of the corpse with your new D80!

""

fgottlieb Registered since 01st Jun 2006Thu 07-Sep-06 01:15 PM
#37. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 14

US

The canon is long gone. My kid took a picture on the top steps of my in-laws' brownstone. He had taken many pictures before with the camera but this one time the camera slipped from his fingers and rolled and bounced and cracked everywhere on its way down the 7 or 8 cement steps to the sidewalk. Needless to say it was not a pretty sight!

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Tue 05-Sep-06 08:36 PM
#17. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 9

AW

>Reading the wedding photography forum is very enlightening.

Roger,

I agree, and take that one step further, just visit the photo forums for what you like to shoot and look at the fabulous images from Nikon DSLRs of all descriptions. I have seen fantastic B&W images from D100's, great landscapes from D50's, there is no reason to think there is some inherent limitation in the earlier cameras technology or sensors.

""

fspeeder Registered since 06th Jan 2005Tue 05-Sep-06 08:21 PM
1418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 4

Barrington, US

> I am a Nikon owner who just bought
>a D80 and I am feeling a little bit like I am always going
>to own the second best camera manufacturer since Canon is
>always one-upping Nikon in terms of features.

Simply not true. D80 is certainly better than the new Canon, although it is probably not the 2nd best in the market. What do you see better in the new Canon? So called self cleaning is not yet proven.

LAR860 Registered since 10th Dec 2005Wed 06-Sep-06 02:10 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Who cares?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Worried about owning a camera from the second-best camera manufacturer? Really....who cares? This is just silly. For God's sake, be happy with what you have. Believe me, no one will ever look at any of your photos and say "ick, this was taken with a Nikon...the SECOND BEST camera manufacturer!" I guarantee you, no one will know, no one will care. Just go out and take some pictures. First off, it's highly debatable who makes the best or second-best camera. Secondly, it's a monumentally stupid debate. This kind of imaginary one-upsmanship is not going to help you make better images. Concentrate on that instead of getting your undies in a bunch over who makes the worlds bestest camera. You're probably already aware that Nikon makes wonderful cameras. Canons aren't bad either. After that, who gives a s***? It's a camera, not a status symbol.

drichi Basic MemberWed 06-Sep-06 12:24 PM
392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Who cares?"
In response to Reply # 25

GW

What a great reply. I have never been able to tell which digital camera took which photo. I would bet that nobody esle could tell either. In fact, that is nearly always the last thing that crosses my mind.

LAR860 Registered since 10th Dec 2005Wed 06-Sep-06 11:34 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Who cares?"
In response to Reply # 29

US

Thanks. It seems that some have lost focus as to why they ever got a camera in the first place. forgive the bad pun.

Tokyo Mike Registered since 31st Aug 2006Thu 07-Sep-06 02:30 PM
389 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: Who cares?"
In response to Reply # 36

JP

Boy, talk about taking someone's comment out of context and then going for the throat. He was criticizing Nikon, not you.

LAR860 Registered since 10th Dec 2005Thu 07-Sep-06 03:25 PM
#39. "RE: Who cares?"
In response to Reply # 38

US

oh, please. I took nothing out of context. Did it really appear as though I thought I was the object of the criticism? No, it didn't. They are cameras, take some pictures with them instead of obsessing over whether the manufacturer makes the best or second-best.

fgottlieb Registered since 01st Jun 2006Thu 07-Sep-06 05:43 PM
#41. "RE: Who cares?"
In response to Reply # 39

US

you sound like a really angry person.

What's a point of a forum if you can't voice out concerns, thoughts or ideas with other people without fear of getting slammed like you did?
Why do you even bother reading these forums if all you're going to do is criticize negatively other people's thoughts?

fspeeder Registered since 06th Jan 2005Tue 05-Sep-06 05:59 PM
1418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 0

Barrington, US

The new Canon is inferior in many aspects, without a top panel LCD alone turns me off. It does not have spot metering, does not have a viewfinder as nice, build quality is inferior too. Again it is a marketing and sales pitch. On the other side, D80 is a fine upgrade from D70s and D50. The new Canon is not in the same league. D80 competes with 30D and we have already seen 30D price falling.

F2AS Registered since 23rd Nov 2005Tue 05-Sep-06 08:35 PM
485 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 6

Washington, US

". . .it undersells Nikon for $400 @ $899 MSRP."

Just as a Chevy Malibu undersells a Honda Accord by $3000, I'm sure there is a reason for that.

Mike

dwright Registered since 08th Nov 2005Tue 05-Sep-06 08:52 PM
288 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "Compare apples to apples..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

To clear up the price difference, the Canon XTi is only $200 less than the D80... B&H has the D80 body for $1000, the XTi body for $800. Add $100 to cost of either for a 18-55 lens.

For that $200 you get better ergonomics, better viewfinder, spot metering, etc. as discussed above... money well-spent.

skorj Registered since 19th Aug 2003Tue 05-Sep-06 09:49 PM
180 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 0

Fort Erie, CA

Nikon and Canon may compete head to head, but they do so differently. Nikon's philosophy will appeal more to buyers with certain priorities while Canon's will appeal more to those with different priorites. These comparisons between the D80 and the XTi is just evidence that nothing has really changed.

I was in photo retail in the early-mid 90's, and sold the 35mm EOSs & Rebels of the day along with Nikon's comperable offerings. It seems the differences between the products the two companies offered then boil down to pretty much what we're talking about now. Some would see that Canon gave them more features for less money and wouldn't need to know anything else. Others would hold both cameras and note that for a little extra money the Nikon felt like it belonged in an entirely different class. Then as now I heard many say they felt Nikon was falling behind. More than a decade later however they are still in the same postion relative to each other, at least at the portion of the market we're discussing here. (The high end, where the full-frame Canon's are becoming the new medium format, may be another story.)

What I think really changes the mix is Sony's new entry, resurecting the faltered Minolta line with a bang. The A-100 seems like a much more interesting camera to me than the new Rebel. What impact this and the basic but seemingly capable and utterly pronouncable new offerings from Pentax will have on the market will be interesting to see. The reviews I have seen tend to pit these cameras against the closest Nikon competitors, so it might be natural to think of their impact on sales of the Nikon models. My guess however is that they will appeal more to buyers who are interested in features vs. price which is Canon's real domain.

-Joe Iannandrea

www.evermorephotography.com

-Joe Iannandrea

Geoffrey4 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2005Tue 05-Sep-06 10:45 PM
291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 19

Perth, AU

Does this new Canon accept Nikon lenses??

If not, why are we discussing it here?

I'm often amazed at the inter-brand debates that happen here - the cost of changing all one's lenses would be so prohibitive to my budget, maybe I'm in the wrong economic bracket to be a Nikonian?
Just wondering..........
Geoffrey
In the golden west - Western Australia

Geoffrey

Western Australia
(a state nearly 4 times the area of Texas)

dwright Registered since 08th Nov 2005Tue 05-Sep-06 11:36 PM
288 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 20

US

The discussion at hand is about relative strengths and weaknesees of the D80 vs. the competition's offering. How in the world can such discussion NOT be relevant to intelligent persons/photographers who want to be able to honestly regard themselves be well-informed?

swyost Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2007Wed 06-Sep-06 12:13 AM
693 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 22

US

Actually, to defend the above post, the original posting that started this thread barely mentions the D80 - it talks about a new Canon offering. It also established that Canon is a better value and apparently superior innovator, and that they are winning some mythical race. Regardless of where it has gone from there, the thread was established as being about a Canon offering. It is comparing a released Nikon body (actually more than one) to a not yet released Canon body as well (not the other way around). In some ways it reads like a Canon PR release, regardless of what it is intended to convey.

It also has somewhat of the same effect as classic Mircosoft vaporware releases, comparing the features of something not yet in the market to a product that is already out. Regardless of what anyone says in this thread, the item that has never been touched (or seen) usually ends up looking impressive. In the end you can't have much of a constructive discussion or argument about a product that doesn't yet exist. It simply elevates that product to the same status as real ones before it has even been touched. Of course there is also now a long (20+ post) thread stating that Canon is winning something, on a Nikon focused site, that people will shortly be able to find via a Google search (or whatever your favorite search engine is). Great advertising for Canon since most people only skim such threads - too bad they didn't have to pay for it.

By the way, before anyone assumes that I am some diehard Nikon person, I have owned (and still own) both Nikon and Canon products. I also buy Pentax SLRs for my offices for fieldwork on archaeology projects since they are cheap and work.

While the above poster may have been a bit sarcastic, the fact is that more essentially gray area threads than this have been stopped by moderators at Nikonians in the past as being about cameras other than Nikons. Those of us who question the point of this are just as entitled to our opinions and have a right to express them.

Just my opinion....

Stephen

fspeeder Registered since 06th Jan 2005Tue 05-Sep-06 10:57 PM
#21. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 19

Barrington, US

D80 appeals to more sophisticated users. The Rebel appeals to less sophisticated users. Actually it looks like Nikon has always believed one has to know basic photography to use an SLR.

dwayner Registered since 15th Jan 2005Wed 06-Sep-06 12:35 AM
262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 21

Calgary, CA

I think anyone who worries about what camera someone else uses is a bit insecure. I really dont see this new canon being anything to be jeleous about. If someone thinks this new Canon is so great buy one.

northjay1 Registered since 10th Feb 2006Wed 06-Sep-06 02:40 AM
249 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 0

Estes/westminster, US

sure sounds good to me remember the metering system leaves a lot to be desired and then spend 4 or 5 hours on thenet and in the camera shops and check the freqency of complaints on cannon cameras

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Wed 06-Sep-06 05:52 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 26

eugene, US

Nikon sales drop some but canon looses shares of market to Sony and Pentax.
Japan Digital SLR Market Share by Unit Sales
Vendor-------- July ------- June
==========================================
Canon ------ 33.3%--- 51.6%
Nikon ------- 27.4%--- 32.6%
Sony ------- 21.6%--- 2.3%
Pentax------ 14.0%--- 7.6%
Olympus------ 2.8%--- 4.8%
Matsushita--- 0.8%--- 0.1%

-June sales for Sony and Matsushita reflect advance orders.
Source : BCN Ranking

To contact the reporters on this story: Kyoko Suzuki in Tokyo at ksuzuki3@bloomberg.net

shows that Nikon is not loosing to Canon but Canon is loosing to Sony

The D80 sales figures are going to be fun to see as the July figures are a month when Nikon was having trouble suppling demand.

I am surprised how much market Sony got -- I wonder what figures in the US are.

ledmun

northjay1 Registered since 10th Feb 2006Wed 06-Sep-06 11:35 AM
249 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 27

Estes/westminster, US

thanks for this post keep in mind that cannon spends a lot more money then any other camera company and they send field rep's every where to market where as nikon rawly does and pentax all most never

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Wed 06-Sep-06 01:29 PM
#30. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"

AW

>I am surprised how much market Sony got

Well, one has to admit they are big with a huge name presence. The thing with Sony will be how good are the cameras and how committed they turn out to be to the DSLR business.

Just my 2 cents.

""

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 06-Sep-06 03:28 PM
10675 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"

US

I would take these figures with a grain of salt. Some industry reporting counts cameras *delivered* to retail channels as "sales." The only way to get real figures is to get them directly from the channels themselves. And that in of itself would be an exercise in one-offs and pre-conditions..

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

ZDude Registered since 28th Feb 2007Wed 06-Sep-06 06:21 PM
537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 31

US

>I would take these figures with a grain of salt. Some
>industry reporting counts cameras *delivered* to retail
>channels as "sales." The only way to get real figures is to
>get them directly from the channels themselves. And that in
>of itself would be an exercise in one-offs and
>pre-conditions..

Agreed! Although it is interesting that in the June-July timeframe D200s for example were pretty scarce.

----------------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words! I took a photograph and couldn't think of that many. I guess I'll keep trying!

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Wed 06-Sep-06 07:47 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Which race"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

>because you don't have to get the $1000 + lenses to get good
>quality glass,

There is perhaps more to "other lenses" than some appreciate. The 400D outer sensors need expensive f2.8 of faster lenses to work. Nikon outer sensors work with any f5.6 lens

The D80 is an altogether better than entry level camera - which is what Canon describe the 400D as being. Nikon's 10MP entry level replacement for the D50 has been indicated by Nikon UK as early next year.

Interestingly Canon have also incorporated an image dust off facility similar to that on recent Nikon's. This may be because dust is not removed from the mirror can get disturbed back onto the sensor when the mirror lifts.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

northjay1 Registered since 10th Feb 2006Wed 06-Sep-06 08:10 PM
#34. "RE: Which race"
In response to Reply # 33

Estes/westminster, US

Hi Len
Where did you read that the d80 is a replacement for the d50?
every thing printed so far says it is the 70s that a done deal. I know for a fact a company in Asia placed an order last Easter for a large number of d70s replacement's AKA/D80's
Cannon is all ways is big on marketing they spend more that any camera company on marketing and there spin doctors are hard at work with add campains . Now with Sony in the game they have the money to make Cannons life difficult lets hope Nikon contuinues with a sharp marketing campaign of there own

F2AS Registered since 23rd Nov 2005Wed 06-Sep-06 08:21 PM
485 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Which race"
In response to Reply # 34

Washington, US

I think what he is saying that there will be a 10 mp replacement for the D50 early next year. Something other than the D80. Could be right, if not say an 8 mp replacement.

Mike

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Thu 07-Sep-06 04:50 PM
#40. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 0

AW

Well,

Just handled the new 400xti at Best Buy. Miserable grip, as I expected. Appearance and feel - very plastic. The new lens looks just like the lens on the 350xt next to it, except for the II on the front.

And of course, so many of the things that have already been said, - no top LCD, fewer external controls, etc.

BTW, this is in Little Rock, AR. They have D80's in stock and will have them out on display this afternoon!

""

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 07-Sep-06 06:21 PM
29041 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#42. "RE: Canon is once again winning the race"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

This thread seems to have run its course, and the latest replies are starting to sound a little impolite.

As it was never really about the D80 anyway, it will now be closed.

Thanks, everyone.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #1925 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.