Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #1903
View in linear mode

Subject: "D70s and D80 image quality" Previous topic | Next topic
Calabrais Registered since 05th Sep 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 04:25 AM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D70s and D80 image quality"

US

Hi everyone, this is my first post on Nikonians so please excuse my ignorance. I am a beginning enthusiast photographer, and I just purchased my first DSLR 2 months ago, the D70s. Now that the D80 was just released I kinda have this queasy feeling in my stomach like I should have waited and just spent $1,000 on something outdated.

I was wondering if the picture quality on the D80 would be significant enough to try to sell the D70s and buy the D80? I know this is more or less a personal question pertaining to my budget, but I know the D80 has the 12 bit (I believe, correct me if i'm wrong) image sensor from the D200. What does this mean for image quality compared to the D70s?

Thanks for your help.

^
With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
~Unknown F1 Driver

My Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D70s and D80 image quality
Nikonator
05th Sep 2006
chingstudios
05th Sep 2006
Spectric
05th Sep 2006
MstrBones Silver Member
05th Sep 2006
Calabrais
05th Sep 2006

Nikonator Registered since 31st Dec 2005Tue 05-Sep-06 06:59 AM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D70s and D80 image quality"
In response to Reply # 0

Cupertino, US

Picture quality of D80 is certainly expected to be better than that of D70/D70s. And in addition you will have higher resolution. But that itself does not make your current camera any more useless than it was two months ago. Or conversely, even though there is a more sophisticated tool out there, your D70s will continue to make as good a picture it used to make on day 1. So, if you were happy with its quality then, why not now. Unless of course you want to be the one with the best possible tool available!

Seriously though, if I were you and had extra cash, I would buy the latest out there. But for me personally, always being strapped of cash, I am continuing to use my severely outdated D70 (not the D70s). And I can tell you that even with that camera I can kick some butts when it comes down to making prints.

----------------
Looking for an authorized dealer that sells photography talent. Need regular import. Grey market will not do!

chingstudios Registered since 03rd Jun 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 09:29 AM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D70s and D80 image quality"
In response to Reply # 0

Big Town, AQ

>............ but I know the D80 has the 12 bit (I believe,
>correct me if i'm wrong) image sensor from the D200. What
>does this mean for image quality compared to the D70s?
>
OK, here's what I think you mean to say about the sensors. The D70, D80, and D200 sensors all record 12 bit data. So in that regard they're similar. In practical terms, that means you can shoot Raw with all three of them and process these images as 16 bit files using programs like Photoshop. The other common method is to retrieve 8 bit jpg images from your camera and process them. All three cameras can do that too. The result is smaller file size for easier handling and storage, but a decrease in the ability to process images without degrading the quality. That's an over simplification, but you get the idea. In an nutshell, all three cameras are quite similar as far as having 12 bit sensors.

I think the specification you really mean to be looking at is the fact that the D80 has a 10.2 mp sensor very similar to the 10.2 mp sensor in the D200. This is a significant (but not tremendous) increase in resolution over the D70. I'd say it's one of the major differences between the D80 (D200) and the D70. But, it is not necessarily a big deal and most likely not a good enough reason for anyone on a tight budget to dump a D70 and buy a D80. A great deal has to do with how and what you shoot and what your particular needs are. Resolution is great, but it always comes at some cost.

The D70 (I have one) is quite capable of making great looking large prints and unless you have a specific reason, as I do, for needing increased resolution, upgrading may not be a wise choice. Spending the money on a better lens is likely to be a wiser investment.

Of course if you have plenty of money and you like to have the latest-and-greatest, then go ahead and scratch that itch if you like.

As you would expect, the D80 has many other features that are nicer than the D70 and the D200 in turn has features that the D80 lacks, but each cost more than the other too. It all boils down to money vs your requirements, but the D70 will take great pictures for a long time.

Spectric Registered since 04th Nov 2004Tue 05-Sep-06 10:16 AM
417 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D70s and D80 image quality"
In response to Reply # 2

Northern Cumbria, GB

Hi all

Could not agree more, the d70 is a great camera. Ok the D80 & D200 have more pixels, so what. You will find that when you start taking pictures the limiting factor will be the user not the camera, I have still not fully mastered my D70 or fully reached it's capability.

A more important issue than pixels are the features the camera provides to allow you to take and interpret your shots, this again depends what you are shooting.

At this early stage of the game invest in some good glass to cover what it is you like shooting. In a couple of years you may decide that you need more than the D70 has to offer or want to take things to a higher level, maybe looking at a D300 or D3x etc etc.

all the best
Roy

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Tue 05-Sep-06 11:12 AM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D70s and D80 image quality"
In response to Reply # 0

AW

Michael,

Welcome to Nikonians and I hope we see you over in the D70/s forum before long if you have any questions on the great camera you purchased.

Image quality of the D70/s models is excellent. Pros use them at times. The resolution at 6mpixel will give you stunning 8x12 images, very good 12x18 and with proper interpolation software, very nice, huge images.

So don't get caught up in megapixel wars and get that funny feeling out of your stomach, you did fine in purchasing a D70s, (I assume that is what you purchased a couple of months back).

If you are a beginner, which is what your profile says, you are going to find that your D70s is going to provide you many years of use. Figure the shutter mechanism for around 40-50,000 actuations. If you shoot 12k shots a year, (and that's a bunch of shots!), you're going to get a good 4-5 years out the camera.

D80/D200 - from a sensor perspective, that would not be an upgrade reason to me. If you set 8x10 identical subject D80/D70s prints down in front of people, they could not tell you which camera took the picture, (and prints are where you learn how good your camera is).

Regards,

""

Calabrais Registered since 05th Sep 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 07:24 PM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D70s and D80 image quality"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Ok, thanks to everyone for the great advice! I think i'm going to stick with my D70s for awhile, because I am strapped for cash, and buying a better lense seems like the better investment. I just wasn't sure if there was a huge difference in image quality with the D80 that would justify the switch. This community really does live up to it's name, and I can't wait untill I can start contributing as well.

Thanks for all the help,
Mike

^
With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.
~Unknown F1 Driver

My Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #1903 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.