nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #19015
View in linear mode

Subject: "Your advice on camera and glass please?" Previous topic | Next topic
unplugged_boy     Registered since 23rd Apr 2007 Sun 05-Aug-07 04:20 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Your advice on camera and glass please?"

hi! i am a new user on this forum! and i need some helpful advice from some experienced people. ive been a canon user (film/dslr) looking to make the switch to nikon. i have been looking at two options:
1) Nikon D200 with a Tamron/Sigma 18-200mm lens.

or

2) Nikon D80 with a Nikon 18-200mm lens.

wish i could have the best of both worlds with a D200 and a Nikon 18-200mm... but i am on a budget. =(
i don't think the faster fps on the D200 is a necessity for me because i just do mostly urban photography, the odd wedding and pictures of family/friends. but it would be nice to have since i was spoiled with my canon 20D.

which one would you place of more importance? which one would you go for? the superior camera or the superior glass?
thanks!

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Your advice on camera and glass please? James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography
05th Aug 2007
Reply message RE: Your advice on camera and glass please? PhilsFrontier
05th Aug 2007
Reply message RE: Your advice on camera and glass please? BuckeyeNikonian
05th Aug 2007
Reply message RE: Your advice on camera and glass please? spiritualized67 Silver Member
05th Aug 2007
Reply message RE: Your advice on camera and glass please? Floridian Silver Member
05th Aug 2007
Reply message RE: Your advice on camera and glass please? sewwhatsports
06th Aug 2007
Reply message RE: Your advice on camera and glass please? unplugged_boy
07th Aug 2007
Reply message RE: Your advice on camera and glass please? yunfat
06th Aug 2007
Reply message RE: Your advice on camera and glass please? simpo two
07th Aug 2007
     Reply message RE: Your advice on camera and glass please? unplugged_boy
20th Aug 2007

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography   Memphis, US  Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004 Sun 05-Aug-07 07:12 PM
10039 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Your advice on camera and glass please?"
In response to Reply # 0

Thats a tough one. I really like the D80 and the D200 is as solid as they come. I would think that adding average glass to a great body would produce average results. Adding very good glass to a very good body would produce very good results.

For what its worth I would go with the 18-200VR Nikon and the D80 or the D200 and the 18-135DX or 18-70DX, the 18-135DX is panned alot but I get excellent quality and very sharp pics and the pedigree of the 18-70 is well established.

Good Luck. Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

Click on image to view larger version

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

PhilsFrontier   Whitehorse, CA  Registered since 12th Jun 2007 Sun 05-Aug-07 08:02 PM
269 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Your advice on camera and glass please?"
In response to Reply # 1

Jim has some good points there, I like his idea of D200+18-70DX lens. That has a good range to start....then you can save up for the 70-200 when your ready to upgrade. IMHO you are better off investing in a better body to start. In hindsight, the D200+18-70 would have been OK for me though a steep learning curve at first. I always use my D80 in either A/S/M modes. Never once have taken a shot with the 'automatic scene modes'

Phil D80 18-200VR, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mmDX, Manfrotto 190xpro Tripod, 488rc4 Ball Head, Lowepro Nova 4 aw bag

I Love Matrix Metering

BuckeyeNikonian   Columbus, US  Registered since 30th Oct 2006 Sun 05-Aug-07 08:07 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Your advice on camera and glass please?"
In response to Reply # 1

IMHO the whole point of buying a Nikon body is to use its fantastic lenses. If you think that the D80 is not enough for you, buy the D200. But more importantly go for the best Nikon lens(es) that your budget can afford.

Marcelo

spiritualized67 Silver Member  Western PA, US  Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007 Sun 05-Aug-07 10:44 PM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Your advice on camera and glass please?"
In response to Reply # 0

The D80 is an awesome camera--as is the 18-200 VR lens. For the most part, the D80 and D200 share similar resolution and image quality, otherwise I would have probably opted for the D200 because of the additional features and flexibility (which is modest). Based on what I have heard from forum members, the D200 will require more post processing whereas the D80 has punchier images out of the gate--especially with JPEGs.

Overall (and you hear this time and time again), it is always best to pick the better glass--especially when the differences between the two models are minimal (at least from an image quality perspective). The D200 does have better weatherproof housing, faster fps and mirror lock up (plus a few more things here and there). But it came down to image quality for me. Personally, I'd go with the D80 and better glass.

Dan

www.danielstainer.com

Floridian Silver Member  Tallahassee, Florida, US  Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007 Sun 05-Aug-07 10:45 PM
2780 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Your advice on camera and glass please?"
In response to Reply # 0

One thing to consider is that if you get a lens you really like, you're likely to have it longer than the camera. So, I'd be leaning toward getting the Nikkor 18-200 VR, thinking you'll be using it with this camera and the next one and the one after that. I have that lens and really like it. I've never tried the competing Tamron or Sigma, but in comparisons I've read they don't stack up to the Nikkor. So, if you've decided you want a lens in this category, I'd get the Nikkor 18-200VR.

Why would you rather have a D200 than a D80? There are lots of good reasons, but because they have the same sensor you should be able to get photos from the D80 that look as good as those from the D200. If there are some things the D200 has that the D80 lacks, then you should consider the D200, but what are those features?

I don't have either camera. I'm shooting with a D50, but I do have the Nikkor 18-200VR and a few other nice lenses. So you can see that my inclination is to go with the better glass. The lens creates the image. All the camera does is expose the sensor to the image coming through the lens. Of course, in the digital realm, some camras have better sensors than others, but because the sensors are the same on the D80 and the D200, I don't see the D80 as too much of a compromise.

If you "need" some of the features of the D200 (weatherproofing, faster FPS rate in burst mode, better autofocus, etc.) then consider it. But what is it about the D200 that you would like better than the D80?

Randy

sewwhatsports   US  Registered since 03rd May 2007 Mon 06-Aug-07 06:56 AM
945 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Your advice on camera and glass please?"
In response to Reply # 5

I would go with the better glass no matter what. It is going to last you longer than the body. I have the D80 and love it. I have invested in 3 good lenses, the 50mm f/1.4, the 18-200 VR and the 70-300 VR.

You need to evaluate what you need in the camera body. Do you need the weatherproofing, the faster burst rate or the difference in the autofocus? Will you use those features enough to justify the added expense of the D200? You can get the 70-300 VR for the difference in the prices of those 2 camera bodies. Like I said, I would rather spend my money on the better glass.

Rena in Delaware

Rena in Delaware
Knowledge is the power behind the lens.

unplugged_boy     Registered since 23rd Apr 2007 Tue 07-Aug-07 06:30 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Your advice on camera and glass please?"
In response to Reply # 5

thank you everybody for your input.
i think its very true that a lens will outlast your camera. hence i am starting to lean towards a D80 and nikon 18-200mm lens.
couple things that i like about the d200 is the faster fps, better auto focus and the overall sturdier build. it just "feels" more substantial than the d80, which feels a little cheap. camera weight is not that much of an issue for me. i guess ive been spoiled by my canon and if i really need a faster camera on projects i can just rent one out.

i plan to also get a few primes in the future and possibly the 12-24mm if God willing. man..i love the results from that lens!

yunfat   US  Registered since 22nd Dec 2006 Mon 06-Aug-07 10:29 PM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Your advice on camera and glass please?"
In response to Reply # 0

How about a d40x with a 17-55?... that is the best combo given your budget. If you do more landscapes then people, try the nikkor 12-24.

The problem with the 18-200 is it's a jack of all trades and master of none, if you have to buy a zoom, and you really want the best glass, I'm not sure the 18-200 is the best way to go. Just my 2ç.

simpo two   UK  Registered since 17th Aug 2004 Tue 07-Aug-07 09:44 PM
2103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Your advice on camera and glass please?"
In response to Reply # 7

I suspect that as you go up the 'photographic ladder of knowledge' you'll want to trade in your 18-200 anyway.

So I'd agree with the poster who suggested the D200 and 18-70 for now. Add extra lenses later as needs and budget allow.

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

unplugged_boy     Registered since 23rd Apr 2007 Mon 20-Aug-07 01:59 PM
#10. "RE: Your advice on camera and glass please?"
In response to Reply # 9

thank you all for your help and advice!
so i did end up getting a used D80 and a new nikon 18-200mm for about $1300. absolutely fantastic lens. like others stated.. its not the best. but as i travel a lot.. i can't be bothered carrying a bag full of primes and other lenses. its a very impressive all around lens. highly recommended for the average/above average photographer.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #19015 Previous topic | Next topic