Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #1897
View in linear mode

Subject: "Suggested first lens for D80" Previous topic | Next topic
cranfill Registered since 05th Sep 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 01:58 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Suggested first lens for D80"

Frisco, US

I am planning to buy a Nikon D80 this week and would like to get some suggestions on the first lense I should buy. I am a beginner who likes to take pictures of sports, people and some outdoors. Autofocus and image stabilization is important for me as a beginner. Any suggestions?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Suggested first lens for D80
stevefrog123
05th Sep 2006
Delta5
05th Sep 2006
edmun
05th Sep 2006
akira
05th Sep 2006
briantilley Moderator
07th Sep 2006

stevefrog123 Registered since 19th Mar 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 02:12 AM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Suggested first lens for D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

As a beginner I recommend the 18-55. It's cheap, lightweight and takes good pictures. You can get it with the D80 as a kit. Take some pictures with it, explore, experiment, and you'll have a better idea of what your next lens should be. You might later find that the 18-200 would be nice, or maybe 12-24 for wide angle photography. Since both lenses are currently hard to get, there's really no rush to get it right away.

Ken Rockwell 18-55 review:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1855.htm

Have fun, Steve

Delta5 Registered since 16th Jan 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 10:36 AM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Suggested first lens for D80"
In response to Reply # 0

London, GB

Hi Chris

I've been checking out Nikkor lenses for similar reasons and if it helps here are some thoughts:

Lets assume you will get just one autofocus lens - and AF-S rather than AF. (AFS lenses have their own internal focus motor, so they focus faster than the AF lenses which rely on a motor in the camera body, via a little drive-screw in the mount.)

Consider these:

The AFS 18-70 mm f/3.5 - 4.5 DX G ED-IF is well regarded and on a Nikon DSLR will give you the equivalent of a 28-105 zoom range on 35mm. You'll benefit from the short telephoto, especially for portraits, and shots of children where the extra working distance is helpful. It seems like better value for money than the 17-55.
(IMO Ken Rockwell's evaluations offer an interesting point of view, but they tend to be quite subjective.)

Take a look at this link - Bjørn Rørslett does thorough objective evaluations and is considered by many to be an authority on Nikon equipment. http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

( Be aware that there is also the AFS 17 - 55 mm f/2.8 G DX ED-IF which is a 'pro' lens . . . and is not light and cheap! )

- The new 18-135 might be worth a look, but SFAIK there are no thorough tests or reviews of it yet. It is not VR - but it is therefore cheaper. I'd wait for the verdict on this one.

- The AFS 18-200 mm f/3.5-5.6 VR G ED DX is worth a look. If you want to shoot sports you'll need more than 135 mm (= 200 on a 35mm format). It has VR and gives equivalent of 28-300 zoom range on 35mm. Bjørn Rørslett has evaluated it too.

I suggest you also trawl through the Nikkor discussion group here at Nikonians before deciding - especially re the 18-200.
DP Review also has useful info - http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1030
as does Thom Hogan - http://www.bythom.com/18200lens.htm#autofocus
There is also NikonD1.net (a much smaller forum than this, but one I find quite helpful)

Dv

"Live like you're going to die tomorrow, learn like you're going to live forever." - Gandhi

Dave
Blue Delta Photography

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Tue 05-Sep-06 01:16 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Suggested first lens for D80"
In response to Reply # 2

eugene, US

Delta5 has some good comments.

I would lean toward te 18-200 for your first lens (or the new 18-135) the 18-70 is a good lens and it is very fast focusing. (If the 18-135 turns out to be a not what you want which I doubt, the dealer I am sure, would be glad to refund your money on it because of the high demand.

The 18-55 would be my last choice because of it short zoom range and its reported slower focus than the 18-70.

The 18- anything are daylight sports lens and will not work well inside for any sport with fast action. They will work with a flash like either the SB 800 or SB 600 but not the built in one.

ledmun

akira Registered since 01st Sep 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 02:56 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Suggested first lens for D80"
In response to Reply # 3

Yeah, if you have the budget, get the D80 body with the 18-200VR lens. If your budget is more limited, then get the D80 kit with the 18-35 lens. I opted for the 18-200VR myself.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 07-Sep-06 06:32 PM
29045 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Suggested first lens for D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Hi, and welcome to Nikonians!

Check out our Nikkor Lenses Forum, where there is a lot of great information about lens choices

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #1897 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.