Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #1876
View in linear mode

Subject: "New guy considering D80 has some questions" Previous topic | Next topic
jagjetta Registered since 05th Sep 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 12:49 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New guy considering D80 has some questions"

First time poster, so thank you all, in advance, for your indulgence.

I have been using works D70 for about 1.5 years. I shoot a lot of magazine covers and calendar shots. The resolution is just barely able to accomodate it, but I have been making it work.

I have been planning buy my own D70s, and today, when I went searching for best prices, I stumbled into the D80 (forgive me, though I use a camera every day at work, I am, by no means a camera afficianado...it is just a great tool to me). I have been doing some fast reading, and was quickly attracted by the 10.x megapixel that the D80 offers.

But, I am having reservations....

Am I correct that the D80 will not use the same memory cards as the D70?

What about downloading the images? Does the D80 use a USB to mini B cord like the D70s?

Does the same Nikon Capture software work with the D80?

Can anyone offer any tangible reasons (other than the added cost) that I shouldn't pursue a D80 instead of the D70?

Thank you so much for your kind patience!
John A-G
Iola, Wisconsin USA

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New guy considering D80 has some questions
Geoffrey4 Silver Member
05th Sep 2006
jgreg Silver Member
05th Sep 2006
jagjetta
05th Sep 2006
Reply message Another question: Cabling to my computer?
jagjetta
05th Sep 2006
Reply message RE: Another question: Cabling to my computer?
Geoffrey4 Silver Member
05th Sep 2006
Geoffrey4 Silver Member
05th Sep 2006
jagjetta
05th Sep 2006
gettingbetter
05th Sep 2006
Reply message Okay...you guys sold me.
jagjetta
05th Sep 2006
Reply message RE: Okay...you guys sold me.
cockers Silver Member
05th Sep 2006
jagjetta
05th Sep 2006
cockers Silver Member
05th Sep 2006
Editorman
06th Sep 2006
ARCHK
10th Sep 2006
Editorman
10th Sep 2006
Davidpeter1 Silver Member
10th Sep 2006
caprae
09th Sep 2006
ARCHK
10th Sep 2006
Dawnn Silver Member
10th Sep 2006
jagjetta
11th Sep 2006

Geoffrey4 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2005Tue 05-Sep-06 02:36 AM
291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New guy considering D80 has some questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Perth, AU

John

I use a D70 at present and I am waiting for my D80 to arrive, so my answers are based on the brochures and what others are saying.
The D80 uses SD cards, I think these are the way of the future and are rapidly coming down in price and capacity becoming larger, but it does mean that your cards are not interchangeable between D80 and D70.
Certainly the D80 will give higher resolution, when the D200 was introduced (also 10mpx but too expensive for me) there were some interesting comparison photos published showing the noticeable improved resolution.
The D80 uses a similar cable to download, as with the D70.
Nikon Capture has just been released in a revision which will deal with D80 files - have a read of the thread in this forum about "D80, RAW and Photoshop".

As to whether you buy a D80 instead of a D70s, thats up to you. Main improvements are the better resolution, brighter viewfinder (pentaprism instead of the mirrors in the D70, looks like lower noise at high ISO (early days to know this).
Apart from that, D70s production will stop soon, so D80 support and maintenance will be better in future.
Good luck!

Geoffrey
In the golden west - Western Australia

Geoffrey

Western Australia
(a state nearly 4 times the area of Texas)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jgreg Silver Member Charter MemberTue 05-Sep-06 07:29 AM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New guy considering D80 has some questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Sheboygan Falls, US

>First time poster, so thank you all, in advance, for your
>indulgence.
>
>I have been using works D70 for about 1.5 years. I shoot a
>lot of magazine covers and calendar shots. The resolution is
>just barely able to accomodate it, but I have been making it
>work.
>
>I have been planning buy my own D70s, and today, when I went
>searching for best prices, I stumbled into the D80 (forgive
>me, though I use a camera every day at work, I am, by no
>means a camera afficianado...it is just a great tool to me).
>I have been doing some fast reading, and was quickly
>attracted by the 10.x megapixel that the D80 offers.
>
>But, I am having reservations....
>
>Am I correct that the D80 will not use the same memory cards
>as the D70?
>
>What about downloading the images? Does the D80 use a USB to
>mini B cord like the D70s?
>
>Does the same Nikon Capture software work with the D80?
>
>Can anyone offer any tangible reasons (other than the added
>cost) that I shouldn't pursue a D80 instead of the D70?
>
>Thank you so much for your kind patience!
>John A-G
>Iola, Wisconsin USA
Ah somebody from my state. If you can deal with the SD cards than get the new D80 or D200. I was going to get the D200 until they came out with D80. Now I have one on order. I have about 12 compac flash cards so this is hard for me. But I'm keeping my D70s so I will need my cards. I started with D100. At least the cards are getting cheaper and they are comming out with bigger ones. Like 4g and 8g.
So something to think about. I can't wait to get mine.
James gregus
Designs by Gregus
Sheboygan Falls, Wi.

jagjetta Registered since 05th Sep 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 11:33 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New guy considering D80 has some questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Thank you Geoffrey and James for the information. Everything is looking good for the D80 argument. I am always hesitant to improve on something that already works, so you can imagine that I am pretty wedded to the D70. However, the lure of the 10+ megapixel of the D80 is enough for me to make the switch.

Again, thanks for your thoughts and advice.

John A-G
Iola, Wisconsin USA

jagjetta Registered since 05th Sep 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 01:14 PM
#4. "Another question: Cabling to my computer?"
In response to Reply # 0

Another question:

I like to hook my D70 directly to my laptop. Will I still be able to that with the D80?

Thanks again for indulging my neophyte-questions!
John A-G
Iola, Wisconsin USA

Geoffrey4 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2005Tue 05-Sep-06 01:40 PM
291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Another question: Cabling to my computer?"
In response to Reply # 4

Perth, AU

John

I believe so - the same sort of mini-USB cable is provided.
I usually download my D70 by connecting it to my PC thru this cable, and I expect to do teh same when my D80 arrives.
Good luck
Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Western Australia

Geoffrey4 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2005Tue 05-Sep-06 01:44 PM
#6. "RE: Another question: Cabling to my computer?"
In response to Reply # 4

Perth, AU

There's a useful diagram of connections at page 15 of teh D80 brochure, try here:

http://chsv.nikonimaging.com/global/products/digitalcamera/slr/d80/pdf/D80_16p.pdf

Good luck!
Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Western Australia

jagjetta Registered since 05th Sep 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 03:01 PM
#7. "RE: Another question: Cabling to my computer?"
In response to Reply # 6

Thank you, again, Geoffrey. I printed out the full article and am studying it right now. I am sure it will answer many of my quesions.

Best Regards,
John A-G
Iola, Wisconsin USA

gettingbetter Registered since 17th Jul 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 03:45 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: New guy considering D80 has some questions"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Whatever you decide, don't buy a D70 until you have looked through the viewfinder of either the D200 or the D80 and compared it the viewfinder of either the D70 or the D50.

It's a surprisingly big difference.

Something else that hasn't been mentioned here is that the D80 has full YRGB histograms, whereas the D70/D70s has only one. And if you think 1 is Ok, remember that in the D70/D70s the single histogram is actually just the green channel. It makes it possible to make some weird exposures for Red (for instance) when it looks spot on the histogram. I was amazed when I found out that this was the case and that my D70 wasn't showing an average of all 3 channels on the histogram.

Finally, one other big draw of the D80 is the way auto ISO works. On the D80 it is possible to set the lowest shutter speed at which the ISO begins to rise, and it is also possible to set the maximum ISO you are prepared to shoot. It's a really great feature borrowed from the D200 and makes sure you never have to set your camera to a high ISO setting. Anyone (I bet every D70 owner has done this) that has ever taken a full days shoot on ISO 1600 by accident and regretted it will appreciate the benefit.

Enjoy your D80. You know you want it!

Mike

Mike, London UK

jagjetta Registered since 05th Sep 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 07:49 PM
#9. "Okay...you guys sold me."
In response to Reply # 8

I have spent two days researching and asking questions...Just called Ritz Camera and took the plunge. I ordered a D80 and a 2gig card. My check book feels depleted, and I am nervous...but I think this will be a good thing.

Mike, thanks for the gentle nudge. I was standing on ledge. Could have gone either way. I am currently in a free-fall!

John Adams-Graf
Iola, Wisconsin USA

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 09:33 PM
4232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Okay...you guys sold me."
In response to Reply # 9

Plover, US

John - sorry I didn't see your post until now. I'm a fellow Wisconsin
Nikonian and i just finished posting that Best Buy stores in Appleton and here in Stevens Point have them in stock with the 17-135 kit lens for $1,299.

Perhaps it's not too late to cancel your Ritz order if they are not in stock there.

Cockers -from Plover Wisconsin

jagjetta Registered since 05th Sep 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 10:07 PM
#11. "RE: Okay...you guys sold me."
In response to Reply # 10

Cockers:
Thanks so much for the tip. Ritz says they are in stock and will ship tomorrow. I will believe it though when the camera is in my hot hands!

I had been to Best Buy in Plover about two weeks ago and was troubled to not even see a D70 on display! I didn't bother to check when I was in Green Bay last week, though. Thanks again...if the Ritz deal falls through, I will certainly check out the local stores.

Happy shootin' from your "neighbor"--
John Adams-Graf
Iola, Wisconsin USA

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Tue 05-Sep-06 10:50 PM
4232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Okay...you guys sold me."
In response to Reply # 11

Plover, US

John -
Glad to be of assistance. By the way I did get to play with one at the Plover store today and I can tell you that if feels just great in the hand! Moreover, I own a D200 and I think you're gonna love the 10.2 mp that the D80 offers.

You have some wonderful scenery out there in Iola, so I'm sure you'll find some great subject matter to test the new camera. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it when it comes!

Cockers - Plover, Wisconsin

Editorman Registered since 06th Sep 2006Wed 06-Sep-06 08:22 PM
203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Okay...you guys sold me."
In response to Reply # 12

Toronto, CA

New Nikonian here. Was close to purchasing the D70S, then learned of the D80. That's the way I'm going to go. Thanks for all the great information offered in this forum.

Question for anybody out there on the lens and a speedlight. I'm not a professional or anything, but if I'm going to spend a few bucks would like to get good home hobbyist quality. Thinking about the 18-200 lens rather than the kit lens. Seems the 18-200 will suffice for most of my non-professional needs, and the VR is an added bonus. Also, less equipment to carry around (my 35mm Nikon, four lenses and various filters make for a lot to carry).

Again, for the non-professional, anybody care to comment on the need for a speedlight - such as the SB-600 or SB-800?

Thanks in advance.

Editorman

Paul
Nikonian in Toronto

ARCHK Registered since 11th Nov 2004Sun 10-Sep-06 05:54 AM
764 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Okay...you guys sold me."
In response to Reply # 13

Baguio City, PH

Hi Paul,

The VR is more than an added bonus, IMO, it makes the lens.

The built-in flash works well only up to a few meters, though very convenient, especially for fill flash in daytime. The SB-800 is versatile, has great distance, and can fill a room. A wonderful flash. Even though it is rated only to focal lengths up to 105mm, I use it often with either my 18-200 at 200mm, or my 200/2 VR. Works fine in both instances, though sometimes I need to boost the flash output. My view - get the SB-800.

Regards,

Alan in the Philippines

http://www.arcasia.multiply.com

Editorman Registered since 06th Sep 2006Sun 10-Sep-06 11:51 AM
203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Okay...you guys sold me."
In response to Reply # 16

Toronto, CA

Thanks Alan. You've confirmned what I was thinking. Appreciate your input.

Paul

Paul
Nikonian in Toronto

Davidpeter1 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Mar 2004Sun 10-Sep-06 12:41 PM
559 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: New guy considering D80 has some questions"
In response to Reply # 8

Cardiff, GB

seems to me that unless there the D70 is hugely discounted, it's a dead duck in sales terms compared with it's replacement - the D80, which seems to be more like it's big brother than the D70. Doesn't seem much point in overlooking the new in favour of the old.

David.

Cardiff,Britain.

BE A BLOOD + BONE MARROW DONOR TO FIGHT CANCER, YOU MAY SAVE A LIFE.
http://www.nikonians-images.com/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=16427

caprae Registered since 20th Apr 2006Sat 09-Sep-06 07:17 PM
925 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: New guy considering D80 has some questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Athens, US

>Thank you so much for your kind patience!
>John A-G
>Iola, Wisconsin USA

Dang, I grew up just up the road from you in Waupaca. I started off in the country between Iola and Scandinavia (looks like the corne of G and Bestul Road based on mapquest), went to Kindergarten in Iola and 1-3 in Scandinavia.

Tim
We think because we have words, not the other way around. Madeleine L'Engle

My Gallery

ARCHK Registered since 11th Nov 2004Sun 10-Sep-06 01:11 AM
764 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: New guy considering D80 has some questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Baguio City, PH

Hi John,

Important features in favour of the D80:

1. A decent viewfinder.
2. A 2.5 in LCD with 25x zoom.
3. RGB histograms.
4. Eleven point AF sensor with dynamic tracking.
5. Provision for a Nikon supplied vertical grip with extra battery.
6. Programmable FUNC button (that I can set to spot metering!)
7. 100 ISO.
6. FP flash synchronization up to 1/4000 sec.

Nevermind the larger sensor, the better noise control at high ISO and the editing functions, this camera has been radically improved over previous entry level offerings to better assist the photographer while taking the photo. IMO this is what is really important and makes this upgrade an obvious choice to those of us who can afford it.

Regards,

Alan in the Philippines

http://www.arcasia.multiply.com

Dawnn Silver Member Charter MemberSun 10-Sep-06 12:59 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: New guy considering D80 has some questions"
In response to Reply # 0

New Castle, US

I just purchased my D80 from Best Buy and made the jump from a D70. I LOVE the D80. The straight from the camera pics I am getting from the D80 are so much better than the D70. The biggest difference is the white balance is much improved with the D80. My hands are small and the D80 is lighter and smaller and feels better to me. I love the fact that the higher resolution allows larger crop prints. The viewfinder, the lcd, everything is much improved. I look forward to playing with the double exposure possibilies without dealing with photoshop! I would not hesitate to recommend the D80 over the D70.

jagjetta Registered since 05th Sep 2006Mon 11-Sep-06 09:50 PM
#20. "RE: New guy considering D80 has some questions"
In response to Reply # 19

Dawn:
My D80 just arrived from Ritz camera today...I am itching to leave work and start learning the new system.

This past weekend was my last with the D70...have shot about 30,000 images with it, but am nervous about my first pictures with the D80!

Hope to enjoy it as much as you seem to be enjoying yours.

Best Regards from Wisconsin,
John A-G

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #1876 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.