nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Yikes, dust on my sensor!

Bill_SFNM

Santa Fe, US
48 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bill_SFNM Registered since 22nd Jul 2007
Wed 25-Jul-07 05:43 PM

A few months after purchasing my D80, I checked for dust by taking a shot (small aperture: f/30) of a piece of white paper. Viewed on my computer monitor, there were just a few specks that were easily brushed off the sensor. Four months later, I decided to check again because I began to notice spots on all of the shots I had taken the included expanses of sky. Yikes! There must have been over a hundred dust particles, most small, but some fairly large. I live in a very dry, dusty climate, so I think checking and cleaning the sensor is something I need to do much more frequently.

I'm far from an expert in this having only cleaned my sensor twice, but this Thom Hogan article (http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm) is the source of everything I know. One thing I have been very careless about is storing the camera with the lens up. I'm now trying to remember to store with the back up to see if it makes much difference.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Yikes, dust on my sensor!

G