Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #18505
View in linear mode

Subject: "Yikes, dust on my sensor!" Previous topic | Next topic
Bill_SFNM Registered since 22nd Jul 2007Wed 25-Jul-07 05:43 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Yikes, dust on my sensor!"

Santa Fe, US

A few months after purchasing my D80, I checked for dust by taking a shot (small aperture: f/30) of a piece of white paper. Viewed on my computer monitor, there were just a few specks that were easily brushed off the sensor. Four months later, I decided to check again because I began to notice spots on all of the shots I had taken the included expanses of sky. Yikes! There must have been over a hundred dust particles, most small, but some fairly large. I live in a very dry, dusty climate, so I think checking and cleaning the sensor is something I need to do much more frequently.

I'm far from an expert in this having only cleaned my sensor twice, but this Thom Hogan article (http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm) is the source of everything I know. One thing I have been very careless about is storing the camera with the lens up. I'm now trying to remember to store with the back up to see if it makes much difference.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Yikes, dust on my sensor!
James23p Moderator
25th Jul 2007
Bill_SFNM
25th Jul 2007
James23p Moderator
25th Jul 2007
Bill_SFNM
25th Jul 2007
James23p Moderator
25th Jul 2007
dm1dave Administrator
26th Jul 2007
James23p Moderator
26th Jul 2007
PhilsFrontier
25th Jul 2007
dm1dave Administrator
26th Jul 2007
PhilsFrontier
26th Jul 2007
Bill_SFNM
31st Jul 2007
James23p Moderator
31st Jul 2007
dm1dave Administrator
01st Aug 2007

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 25-Jul-07 06:21 PM
9443 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Yikes, dust on my sensor!"
In response to Reply # 0

Memphis, US

I tend to check if I am going to do some landscape shots and then I use a rocket blower this seems to work for 95% of the visable stuff. When needed I use sensor swabs and eclipse fluid for stuck on stuff but so far I have only had to do that once for the D50 in over 18 months and none for my D80(I think I may have used swabs once but my mind is mush).

A good site to buy cleaning supplies and a great how to is www.copperhillimages.com see at the bottom of the page CMOS/CCD cleaning.

Hope this helps Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Bill_SFNM Registered since 22nd Jul 2007Wed 25-Jul-07 06:34 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Yikes, dust on my sensor!"
In response to Reply # 1

Santa Fe, US

Jim,

Did you notice that the D50 and D80 use different versions of the Eclipse fluid?

http://www.photosol.com/cameras_bymfg.html

Bill

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 25-Jul-07 06:42 PM
9443 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Yikes, dust on my sensor!"
In response to Reply # 2

Memphis, US

E2 is also Eclipse but a new formula and is listed on the copperhill website. But to be honest the E2 is new and the cameras listed are old and many have used the original eclipse with their D1, D1X, D70 etc what I find funny is the D70s and D50 have the same sensor yet are listed as using different versions of Eclipse. But since it is available I guess the safe bet is to get the E2 for the D80.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

Bill_SFNM Registered since 22nd Jul 2007Wed 25-Jul-07 06:47 PM
#4. "RE: Yikes, dust on my sensor!"
In response to Reply # 3

Santa Fe, US

Is it possible the sensor coatings are different?

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 25-Jul-07 06:51 PM
#5. "RE: Yikes, dust on my sensor!"
In response to Reply # 4

Memphis, US

Bill I have to be honest I do not know I was under the impression they were the same. But I have a friend who has used the origianl Eclipse on his D70 for 3 years without problems and since Nikon USA does not recommend any in home cleaning they usually do not answer those questions.

In the end I would play it safe and use the E2 I guess I need to order some as I use Optic Pure which is a generic brand of eclipse that was recommend to me by a camera tech at a repair shop.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 26-Jul-07 02:08 AM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Yikes, dust on my sensor!"
In response to Reply # 5

Lowden, US

I got the basic cleaning kit from cooperhill before they started selling the E2 so I have used the original eclipse. I have only cleaned the sensor with it twice though.

Supposedly the reason for the different formula has to do with protecting some kind of coating. However I read an article (I cant find it now) were someone tested and could find no evidence that regular eclipse adversely affected the coatings.

If I can find it I will post it.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Thu 26-Jul-07 03:26 AM
#8. "RE: Yikes, dust on my sensor!"
In response to Reply # 7

Memphis, US

I to have used the original Eclipse but I guess if the new one is available I will get it. But like Dave I know several who have used the original on their D70s and D80. Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

PhilsFrontier Registered since 12th Jun 2007Wed 25-Jul-07 11:25 PM
269 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Yikes, dust on my sensor!"
In response to Reply # 1

Whitehorse, CA

Yikes!.....is right. I just did a quick test and found about 40-50 specs on my D80. Will have to try out this sensor cleaning, until then I guess I will have to shoot more around the smaller f/stop numbers.

Phil D80 18-200VR, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mmDX, Manfrotto 190xpro Tripod, 488rc4 Ball Head, Lowepro Nova 4 aw bag

I Love Matrix Metering

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 26-Jul-07 03:48 AM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Yikes, dust on my sensor!"
In response to Reply # 6

Lowden, US

Phil,

The first step is to get a good blower like this.

Mine is just like that but not Giottos that I got at a local camera shop.

This will remove the majority of your dust bunnies.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

PhilsFrontier Registered since 12th Jun 2007Thu 26-Jul-07 01:03 PM
269 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Yikes, dust on my sensor!"
In response to Reply # 9

Whitehorse, CA

>Phil,
>
>The first step is to get a
>good
>blower like this.>
>
>Mine is just like that but not Giottos that I got at a local
>camera shop.
>
>This will remove the majority of your dust bunnies.

Been there done that, looks like I need a wet cleaning, but this thread has definitely steered me in the right direction. Thank goodness we have a good camera store in town.

Phil D80 18-200VR, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mmDX, Manfrotto 190xpro Tripod, 488rc4 Ball Head, Lowepro Nova 4 aw bag

I Love Matrix Metering

Bill_SFNM Registered since 22nd Jul 2007Tue 31-Jul-07 06:49 PM
#11. "RE: Yikes, dust on my sensor!"
In response to Reply # 0

Santa Fe, US

For the record, I got around to cleaning the sensor today.

1) First step was to use the recommended method from the D80 manual to use a blower (and nothing else!). After using a large Giotto Rocket several times, I took a test shot to see how much of the original dust remained. Almost all of it remained!

2) Next step was to use Dust Patrol D-SLR Brush. Air is blown into the brush to charge it and the brush is then lightly whisked across the sensor. I did this several times and took another test shot. Almost all of the dust was gone. I repeated the process and no other particles were found.

3) I was planning to use the Sensor Swab/E2 wet cleaning, but that was not necessary.

FWIW.

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Tue 31-Jul-07 07:17 PM
#12. "RE: Yikes, dust on my sensor!"
In response to Reply # 11

Memphis, US

Great info on the sweep Dust Patrol maybe I need to get one. Jim

Thanks

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Wed 01-Aug-07 01:06 AM
#13. "RE: Yikes, dust on my sensor!"
In response to Reply # 11

Lowden, US

That’s good info. I have seen the dry “charged” brush method and wandered how well it worked.

Thanks for the update!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #18505 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.