Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #18356
View in linear mode

Subject: "Could use some feedback..." Previous topic | Next topic
zampano Registered since 10th Jun 2007Sat 21-Jul-07 08:39 AM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Could use some feedback..."

Tried a few areas for feedback on my new shots, but not getting much. I'm new and have been shooting actors the last few weeks on my D80. If there's any advice or thoughts on these shots that would be great. Just trying to improve

www.ricardezphoto.com in the 'professional' area.

Thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Could use some feedback...
briantilley Moderator
21st Jul 2007
dm1dave Administrator
21st Jul 2007
zampano
21st Jul 2007
dm1dave Administrator
22nd Jul 2007
simpo two
22nd Jul 2007
zampano
22nd Jul 2007
dm1dave Administrator
23rd Jul 2007
zampano
23rd Jul 2007
James23p Moderator
23rd Jul 2007
dm1dave Administrator
23rd Jul 2007
spiritualized67 Silver Member
23rd Jul 2007
zampano
23rd Jul 2007
zampano
23rd Jul 2007
James23p Moderator
23rd Jul 2007
spiritualized67 Silver Member
23rd Jul 2007
zampano
23rd Jul 2007

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 21-Jul-07 09:50 AM
28675 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Could use some feedback..."
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

>Tried a few areas for feedback on my new shots, but not
>getting much.

I'm sorry to hear that.

The best place for general critique (rather than critique on any particular type of subject, or advice on using a particular camera feature) is our Constructive Critique Forum. As far as I can tell, you have not posted there so far

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 21-Jul-07 01:47 PM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Could use some feedback..."
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

When you post for critique in the "feedback in the Constructive
Critique Forum" and any of the "Image Making & Shooting Issues Forums" try to concentrate on individual images and specifically ask for feedback in your post.

People are less likely to respond to a group of images. It is easier to give good advise based on one or two specific images.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

zampano Registered since 10th Jun 2007Sat 21-Jul-07 05:11 PM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Could use some feedback..."
In response to Reply # 2

Great idea, I'm on it! But in hindsight I'll wait till I improve a little before jumping in with the sharks

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 22-Jul-07 02:30 AM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Could use some feedback..."
In response to Reply # 3

Lowden, US

Don’t worry about the sharks <<< they only eat non-Nikon photogs >>>

There are a lot of people who are to help us all improve. I don’t think I have ever seen any harsh or mean comments here on Nikonains. You will just get a lot of good advice about what is working and what is not and how to make the improvements you need.

So jump on in… The waters fine!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

simpo two Registered since 17th Aug 2004Sun 22-Jul-07 04:39 PM
2103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Could use some feedback..."
In response to Reply # 4

GB

I don't have a problem with most of the photos, but the thing I didn't like much was the website. If I see a thumbnail I want to click on it and see a big version straightaway. Your way seems to need to load every large image before I can see any at all - a needless wait and some bafflement as you think 'I clicked on it, it's not working' etc.

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

zampano Registered since 10th Jun 2007Sun 22-Jul-07 04:55 PM
#6. "RE: Could use some feedback..."
In response to Reply # 5

Hmm. That's a big problem then. However, I don't quite understand. There is a row of thumbnails which you can select from if you want to see the image right away. Or, you can simply watch the slide show. Maybe I misunderstood you? Can you be more specific? I want to fix it if its a problem.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 23-Jul-07 04:12 AM
#7. "RE: Could use some feedback..."
In response to Reply # 6

Lowden, US

For someone who has not visited your site before when you go the 'professional' area the thumbnails all load and scroll at the bottom. When you click an image you have to wait a considerable time for the first images to show up. Because your using Flash the player (browser plug-in) tries to download all 48 full size images to the computer before it will display any large images. Once they have all loaded then you and freely click on a thumb and get the big version right away. You don’t see this issue on your own computer because it is all the images are in a temp file somewhere ready for use.

Try to find a computer that has never loaded your site like at an internet café or library and test it out.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

zampano Registered since 10th Jun 2007Mon 23-Jul-07 07:31 AM
#8. "RE: Could use some feedback..."
In response to Reply # 7

Ugh. That's bad news. How can I get that to move faster for the visitor? Reduce the image size? I'm not real website savvy. I've tried to reduce the size of each image. Let me know if it's still slow tomorrow, I'll reduce the image size a little more I guess. Thanks for the notes, I'm trying to make it faster or at least easy to watch

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Mon 23-Jul-07 10:00 AM
9451 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Could use some feedback..."
In response to Reply # 8

Memphis, US

zampano I am on dial up and it is very slow I am unsure how fast it is on faster connections. I agree with the others having to wait to see the picture you want until all the others have loaded is frustrating and will decreas your viewers as many will just leave. I do like you front page thought.

That said from the first few shots I looked at I see some very nice portraits. Seems to me you are on the right track and have an excellent eye for portrait work.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 23-Jul-07 03:07 PM
#10. "RE: Could use some feedback..."
In response to Reply # 8

Lowden, US

One solution it to offer a traditional (not Flash) web gallery without any bells and whistles. Just give your visitors a choice of waiting a bit or clicking a link that will take them to a basic page with 10 or so thumbnails more like the look of Nikonians Member Galleries. Your Flash based site is cool and people will like it so keep using it but give an alternative epically for those who have slower connections. You will have to look around to find a program to make a gallery without it being tedious.

Also go over to the Website Creation forum. I have been out of the web creation loop to long now but the guys over there should be able to point you in the right direction.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Mon 23-Jul-07 04:10 PM
3172 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Could use some feedback..."
In response to Reply # 10

Western PA, US

Hello Zampano, I had a chance to review your pictures and wanted to give you my constructive thoughts. First of all, I did not have a problem with your website functionality or design. As a matter of fact, I kind of like the moving thumbnail idea as well as how you showcase your pictures. The intro graphic is also a nice lead in and gives the site a polished look and feel. I suppose it is all a matter of personal preference.

As for your pictures, I would agree with James23p with regard to your portrait work. Clearly, that is your strength and you should expand on that. Many of your portrait pictures are quite good so far as lighting, subject and composition are concerned. As for your personal pictures, I thought some of them did have potential, but overall had some strong reservations with regard to your choice of subject matter and composition. You should also avoid photographing subjects or scenes that are cliché. At times, it appeared as though you took a picture just for the sake of taking a picture. And while I think I know what you were trying to accomplish from an emotional perspective--many of them just don't hit the mark.

Let me give you some examples...

Construction worker holding a cone: The picture is somewhat dull and has background elements that are distracting. Rather than just taking a picture of a worker doing a mundane task, I would have opted to capture the worker engaged in some activity that is unique (maybe working with dangerous equipment, doing a unique task, etc.). In many of your shots, it is difficult to determine what your main subject is. And if you are trying to capture a particular expression or mood, the theme of your picture should reinforce the emotion you are trying to capture. Just to show a person with an expression on their face--and no additional context to back that up, makes for an un-dynamic shot.

Woman watering plants in garden: So much is going on in this picture. Again, you should look for a strong subject to shoot (preferably one that exhibits a universal theme that evokes emotion in the viewer), use your photographic skills to isolate that subject (for example, blurring the background using shallow DOF) and lastly, eliminating distracting background elements (or including elements that support your theme). Like so many of your pictures, there is way too much clutter going on to effectively draw attention to your subject matter. Also, many of your pictures would benefit from better composition. For example, in your moth picture, the wings are cut off.

American flag on condo: Again, just to shoot an American flag does not automatically give the viewer an overwhelming feeling of patriotism. Flags are so common nowadays. Maybe a picture of a Mexican migrant worker walking down the street waving a small U.S. flag would be more of what you should be shooting for. In my example, the theme would be "the American dream." Again, just because you photograph an icon (or expression on a person's face) does not make for a compelling story. There must be some context to your pictures.

A few blurry shots: I know where you were coming from creatively with these, although they just look like bad shots. It's OK to be abstract, but you still need good composition and a strong subject.

I don't want my criticism to come off as too harsh Zampano. Your actor portrait work clearly is excellent. What I recommend with your personal work is a little more research into what makes for a compelling and dynamic photographic subject. I also recommend that you explore composition to learn how to identify and isolate your subjects more effectively. Good luck and keep the passion. Thanks for reaching out for feedback.

Cheers,
Dan

www.danielstainer.com

zampano Registered since 10th Jun 2007Mon 23-Jul-07 07:20 PM
#14. "RE: Could use some feedback..."
In response to Reply # 11

Dan,

I didn't see your message. This is fantastic advice and I totally agree, thanks. One thing to keep in mind, I haven't been able to explore my personal side yet. I've only been shooting photography for four weeks man! I never even picked one up until last month.

Once I can peel away from doing headshots I'm going to do some exploring with my camera and find some fun artistic shots. I'm brand new to this, just learned how to get off the auto and P function two weeks ago. But your criticism is spot-on and I really appreciate it. Once I have some decent pics I'll get them up.

Thanks again you guys!

zampano Registered since 10th Jun 2007Mon 23-Jul-07 04:11 PM
#12. "RE: Could use some feedback..."
In response to Reply # 10

Great advice, I made some adjustments, reduced image sizes and simplified a few things. Please let me know if it's any faster at all. Thnaks again guys, this is a huge help!

By the way, I have a new logo up, good, bad?

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Mon 23-Jul-07 07:07 PM
9451 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Could use some feedback..."
In response to Reply # 12

Memphis, US

Much faster, still a tad slow for dialup but hey I live in the dark ages but I could look at several shots in a few minutes and this made the browsing much nicer. I also liked the fact I could turn off the music as on dial up it was very choppy but again thats on me and my slow dialup sooner or later we will get DSL in my part of Memphis.

The front page is very nice and I find the overall color pleasing as it is soft and highlights the gallery nicely. The information is clear and concise over all a good job.

Again as far as your pictures I enjoyed the ones I looked at. You have pleasing lighting that tends to highlight you subjects nicely. I wish I had time to look at more but lately I am over the top busy.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Mon 23-Jul-07 08:47 PM
3172 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Could use some feedback..."
In response to Reply # 13

Western PA, US

Hey Zampano:

You deserve credit for reaching out to Nikonians to try and improve your skills. Producing excellent portrait shots like you have done after only four weeks is a true testament to your natural ability--which will only get better with practice and time. When I was learning, I found the best teacher was to look at photographs from other people. Once you train yourself on why a photo does or does not work (what makes it resonate on an emotional level), it will be easier for you to spot opportunities that make sense for your particular style--yet are aesthetically, emotionally and compositionally powerful. Don't ever try to force your pictures--and don't be in a rush to have a full picture gallery. I would rather see 10 really good pictures on your site than 50 so so ones. To that end, keep up the great work. You should be proud of what you have accomplished thus far. The rest will come with time and a lot of trial and error.

-Dan

www.danielstainer.com

zampano Registered since 10th Jun 2007Mon 23-Jul-07 10:10 PM
#16. "RE: Could use some feedback..."
In response to Reply # 15

Again, some strong advice. Thanks Dan.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #18356 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.