Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #17834
View in linear mode

Subject: "Bad pixel, hot pixel or what?" Previous topic | Next topic
zorch Registered since 17th Sep 2004Wed 11-Jul-07 08:58 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Bad pixel, hot pixel or what?"

Moscow, RU

I tested my new D80 for hot pixels (1/15 s, ISO400 with cap on, NR OFF) and found one blue dot.

It does not disappear at other settings, even at 1/60 ISO100 without cap. In this case it is white dot with a blue area around it.

I wonder what it is and shoud I bother to do anything about it if there is just one such pixel on the sensor?

Best regards,
Denis
http://www.denis-kazakov.name

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

yunfat Registered since 22nd Dec 2006Thu 12-Jul-07 03:16 AM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Bad pixel, hot pixel or what?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Honestly, with 10 million photosites, this is bound to happen. Put simply, there is no surefire hardware solution, as a trip to Nikon repair facility for a remap is no guarantee that when the camera is shipped back to you a new hot pixel won't develop.

I sent my D80 into Nikon repair Melville facility with 0 hot pixels, and it came back with a pixel so hot it can be seen in basic quality jpgs. It says in the repair they upgraded the memory compression... oh well. I simply accept that, no camera is perfect.

Your best solution is a software raw processor that filters hot pixels. There are quite a few software packages that do this. And of course, there's always the clone stamp (gasp).

zorch Registered since 17th Sep 2004Mon 16-Jul-07 06:00 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Bad pixel, hot pixel or what?"
In response to Reply # 1

Moscow, RU

Thanks for the answer. There is an authorized service center in my city, but I decided not to go there for remapping. I called the shop and luckily they let me come and change that camera for another one and let me test the new one in the shop to my complete satisfaction.

Best regards,
Denis
http://www.denis-kazakov.name

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #17834 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.