Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #169179
View in linear mode

Subject: "Yet another D70 kit or body only question" Previous topic | Next topic
PharmaSea Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2004Wed 04-Aug-04 04:35 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Yet another D70 kit or body only question"

Palm City, US

I recently purchased the 24-85 AFS 3.5-4.5G IF-ED (what a mouth full) when Nikon had the good rebates.

With this in mind, should I still get the D70 kit? It seems that most people are buying the kit rather than the body only. Is the difference between 18 and 24 that significant?

As I understand it the kit lens will not work on my F5, is ithis the case.

Man I though spending money was easy!

Thanks in advance

Jim Kosinski

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Yet another D70 kit or body only question
Purpleorchid Silver Member
04th Aug 2004
BJNicholls Gold Member
04th Aug 2004
Alex_86
04th Aug 2004
RWCooper Silver Member
05th Aug 2004
Covey22 Moderator
05th Aug 2004
edmun
07th Aug 2004
PharmaSea Silver Member
08th Aug 2004
Mike_walters
20th Aug 2004
tflub
20th Aug 2004

Purpleorchid Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2004Wed 04-Aug-04 04:46 PM
181 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Yet another D70 kit or body only question"
In response to Reply # 0

Kirkland, US

The 18mm end on the D70 is equivalent to 27mm on film.
The 24mm you have is the equivalent to 35mm on film.

It's up to you if you want to forego the wider end provided by the kit lens.

Correct, the kit lens is for digital bodies only and will not work on film bodies.

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberWed 04-Aug-04 05:35 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Yet another D70 kit or body only question"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

The difference of a few millimeters is significant at the wide side of focal length ranges. 18mm gives you a true wide angle capability on a DX sensor (27mm full-frame equivalent angle of view) vs. a wide-normal capability at 24mm (36mm equivalent).

The bundle's a very good deal, saving $100 over the cost of the 18-70mm alone.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Alex_86 Registered since 19th Aug 2003Wed 04-Aug-04 07:45 PM
1431 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Yet another D70 kit or body only question"
In response to Reply # 2

CA

I was in your shoes not long ago. I had the AFS24-85 that I used as a general purpose lens on my F100. I knew that for my self I would not be satisfied with the wide end on either the kit lens or the 24-85. With this mindset I knew that I would be destine for the 12-24DX in the future. So I decided to go with the body only and use my existing lens and plan to purchase the 12-24DX ASAP after I upgrade to the SB-800.

Best Of Luck,
Alex

Alex Ratson
www.alexratsonphotography.com

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004Thu 05-Aug-04 04:32 PM
975 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Yet another D70 kit or body only question"
In response to Reply # 3

Winnipeg, CA

Hi,

I bought the body only and the 12-24mm DX zoom as I too have the 24mm on up range covered. This is a very good lens and as 12mm on a D70 is equivlant to about an 18mm lens on an F5 I think it is well worth getting. It doesn't have that silky smooth feeling of the older Nikon ED lenses, but it feels OK. I believe the lens projects an image to cover the size of the CCD sensors and not the 36x24mm needed by the F5, so you will get vignetting (spelling?) if you use it on your F5. I'm not that familiar with an F5 but I believe it handles G series lenses without an aperature ring.

I hope this helps.

Randy

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 05-Aug-04 04:48 PM
10406 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Yet another D70 kit or body only question"
In response to Reply # 4

US

The 12-24 is supposedly usable on full-frame from 18-24 FL. But that's an *expensive* and less versatile lens given the existence of the 17-35.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sat 07-Aug-04 08:26 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Yet another D70 kit or body only question"
In response to Reply # 5

eugene, US

The 18 to 70 is a wonderful lens. It is the equivalent of a 27 to 105.

I wish it were a little longer but I rarely take it off.

ledmun

PharmaSea Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2004Sun 08-Aug-04 07:49 AM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Yet another D70 kit or body only question"
In response to Reply # 0

Palm City, US

Thanks for all the suggestions. Well I decided to go with the body only. My darling wife of 22 years reminded me of this years sickness with NAS...F5, 70-200VR AFS, 24-85 AFS and misc other equipment and now a D70. That convinced me to wait for a MAJOR holiday or b-day to "need" something else.

A friend lent me his D70 with kit lens to compare to my 24-85. While there is a difference I can live with the lens I have until the wife's memory starts failing.

Jim Kosinski

Mike_walters Registered since 04th Apr 2003Fri 20-Aug-04 09:03 AM
1058 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Yet another D70 kit or body only question"
In response to Reply # 7

Taunton, GB

I got a D70 body only as I already had a 17-35mm lens and a 28-80mm G lens (the cheapo one). Just got a 24-85mm AFS lens and love it, and the good thing is it also works with my F80. Plus that the 18-70 is a DSLR lens ONLY. I think a lot of us have film cameras and will keep them for sometime as a backup and to shoot the odd velvia 50 slide, so having DSLR lenases is a bit restrictive.

Regards

My website Digital Eyes Photography
My Nikonians Gallery

Mike

tflub Registered since 22nd Feb 2002Fri 20-Aug-04 12:59 PM
257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Yet another D70 kit or body only question"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I have the 24-85 which I've been using with my N80 and this week, when I got my D70, I decided to get the body only. My reasons were as follows:

1. The 18-70 is about a 27mm lens on the wide end and if I know my lensaholic tendancies, I know that if I want to take wide-angle photos over the long term, I will eventually be dissatisfied with 27mm and will want to purchase yet another lens that gets me wider. Maybe a 12-24. I know, I wanted more than my original 28-80 lens and even now, I wish I had something wider than 24mm on my N80, like the 18-35.

2. I love my 24-85 and I couldn't stand to see it forgotten about like a bad step child.

3. I still have my N80! It's just a different medium (film). But if I want to shoot something at 24mm (which is wider than that 27mm equivilent), I can use the film body. Heck, it might be better to shoot slow-speed film for a landscape than digital.

4. I have some expensive filters for my 24-85. I also didn't want to shell out an additional $50 for a UV filter for the 18-70 on top of the $300 for the lens.

4. I know what I tend to like to shoot. I like to shoot people and concerts. I look back at all of my prints and I don't have a lot of big group shots of people or landscapes taken at wide angles. Recognizing this about my shooting tendancies, I think I'll generally be fine with 24mm G lens as my widest lens.

5. I like the versatility of having lenses that work on a so-called "full frame" sensor or 35mm camera as well as my digital. I worry that a few generations of DSLR's in the future there might be "full frame" cameras out there and my D70 will be obsolete and my DX lens will become useless. There are wide angle lenses out there that are full frame.

Flub

Please vivit my photo-centric blog: www.shutterblogger.blogspot.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #169179 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.