Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #16893
View in linear mode

Subject: "How to hold my new baby..." Previous topic | Next topic
zampano Registered since 10th Jun 2007Fri 22-Jun-07 02:10 PM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How to hold my new baby..."

My D80 arrived last night! My wife laughed at me for walking around the house with a ridiculous smile on my face all night. I'm chomping at the bit to get out there today to start shooting. One quick thing I noticed last night while test shooting. My right hand was really cramping. I'm clearly squeezing too hard when shooting. Is there any links to correct holding techniques? I tried cradling it with my left hand but zooming became awkward. Thanks for the help!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How to hold my new baby...
dm1dave Administrator
22nd Jun 2007
MMarz
22nd Jun 2007
tzakiel
22nd Jun 2007
MMarz
22nd Jun 2007
bodhisattva
22nd Jun 2007
MMarz
22nd Jun 2007

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 22-Jun-07 02:28 PM
11507 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How to hold my new baby..."
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Here is a Nikoians atrtical.

DEVELOPING A PROPER HANDHOLDING TECHNIQUE

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

MMarz Registered since 10th May 2007Fri 22-Jun-07 02:41 PM
968 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How to hold my new baby..."
In response to Reply # 0

Long Island, US

There is plenty of information available on proper holding technique..over the years I have modified my technique based, in part on pictures I have seen of pros in action, and things I have read, so I have a hybrid method. It also depends on what lens I have on the camera...

I use the MBD80 vertical grip, so you might have to adjust to accomodate no grip. With a short lens, say a 50 1.8, my 18-70 or even 24-120VR, I keep my left hand under the lens as a cradle, tuck both elbows into my ribs, put left eye to the viewfinder (with right eye open) and press the body against my face...then I squeeze the shutter release, not the body. With longer lenses, the shutter release action is not executed until after a gentle exhale..releasing as your body steadies. By tucking your elbows in, and keeping your left hand under not over the lens, and pressing against your face, you create a sort of tripod on which to steady the camera.

No question the under the lens position takes some getting used to, but learn it now and in the future anything else will feel wrong..it's like a golf grip.

Take a look at the image of J. Ramón Palacios...
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/technique/handholding1.html

As the lens gets longer my left hand moves further out on the bottom of the lens barrel with just finger tips on the zoom ring. This is critical. Did you ever try to insert a screwdriver tip into a screw head without holding the tip of the screwdriver right at the screw head? It wavers all over the place..even more exaggerated if you have the screwdriver tip inserted in a heavy cordless drill...and are holding it above your head. That's what happens with a long focal length and not supporting the end of the lens.

With the longest focal length, I take my left hand and place it on my right shoulder, raise my left arm to horizontal and rest the front of the lens on my left elbow at the corner created by my upper arm and forearm. You can't make adjustments without removing your left hand, so this is for the instances where I have already set focal length and pre-focused if needed.

Since I use the vertical grip, the position of my right never changes..right elbow is always tucked in.

Also, I have all but given up a neck strap (other than for carrying the camera) in favor of a secure wrist strap. I use the Tamrac quick release neck strap ends attached to the body and a quick release end from an OP/Tech neck strap reconfigured to be a wrist strap. I found it impossible to turn to a vertical grip position without the neck strap getting in the way.

By the way... My wife has found me asleep in the armchair with my Magic Lantern D80 manual in one hand and my D80, still on, in the other! And don't wait to go outside to start capturing images!! The subjects you can find inside, and the things you can learn are just endless! Practice makes perfect!

--------------------------

Michael
D300, D700 and a lot of other stuff
Member NWPLI

tzakiel Registered since 03rd Nov 2006Fri 22-Jun-07 03:32 PM
165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: How to hold my new baby..."
In response to Reply # 2

Alexandria, US

I agree about a nice snug wrist strap. I bought the cheap one form nikon mall and I love it. I would never go back to a neck strap. The wrist strap is comfortable and makes it easier on my right hand to hold the camera firmly.

I combine this with a small shoulder holster bag I can just plop the camera into for carrying and it's much nicer.

http://www.jonvandalen.com/newblog

Nikon D700
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
Nikon SB-600 Flash

MMarz Registered since 10th May 2007Fri 22-Jun-07 03:55 PM
968 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How to hold my new baby..."
In response to Reply # 3

Long Island, US

Yep...LwePro Orion hip/shoulder bag..lift top and drop in, or just rest on the top of the bag.

BTW, I also added an ABS D-ring to the wrist strap and keep an inexpensive caribiner on both the Orion bag, as well as on my belt when the bag is home or out of reach. I can just clip the whole body/lens to the caribiner if need to give my hand a rest.

Michael
Member NWPLI

bodhisattva Registered since 09th Jun 2007Fri 22-Jun-07 06:50 PM
176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How to hold my new baby..."
In response to Reply # 2

Folsom, US

>My wife has found me asleep in the armchair with my Magic Lantern D80 manual in one hand and my D80, still on, in the other!

You'd better watch out! Long ago, I fell asleep while coveting my new F4. I awoke to the sound of it falling to the floor when I moved in my sleep.

-j

MMarz Registered since 10th May 2007Fri 22-Jun-07 07:16 PM
#6. "RE: How to hold my new baby..."
In response to Reply # 5

Long Island, US

hhhmmm...maybe I should tether it to the chair or spread some pillows on the floor..

Michael
Member NWPLI

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #16893 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.