Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #1644
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why should I wait to buy the D80?" Previous topic | Next topic
Dejammey Registered since 01st Sep 2006Fri 01-Sep-06 12:25 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why should I wait to buy the D80?"

Why should I wait to buy the D80 When you can find such good prices on the D200 on eBay? I don't think you are going to find the D80 any Cheaper then the MSRP of $999. for a long time. So why not just spend the money on the D200?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Why should I wait to buy the D80?
Heartgold
01st Sep 2006
fspeeder
01st Sep 2006
cquebral
01st Sep 2006
MK_Hayes
01st Sep 2006
Von
02nd Sep 2006
Dejammey
03rd Sep 2006
Von
03rd Sep 2006
briantilley Moderator
03rd Sep 2006
John Garth
08th Sep 2006
westcoast Silver Member
11th Sep 2006
paralax
10th Sep 2006
F2AS
10th Sep 2006
bens0472
10th Sep 2006
John317
10th Sep 2006
vmelamedov
12th Sep 2006
John Garth
13th Sep 2006
LAR860
13th Sep 2006
Von
13th Sep 2006
ehparis
13th Sep 2006

Heartgold Registered since 31st Aug 2006Fri 01-Sep-06 01:10 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why should I wait to buy the D80?"
In response to Reply # 0

Why should I wait to buy the D80 When you can find such good prices on the D200 on eBay? >>>

You're going to risk buying a D200 from an Ebay source? Most folks prefer a reputable and real dealer that backs up what they sell. Not every ebay seller does that. Thus far the D200 price remains the same...or close to it...from any real seller. That 600-700 dollar difference can buy you a great lens, or a pair of SB800's or a D50 to use as a second body with some memory.
In addition to that, some will prefer the smaller lighter D80 in their hands and they won't need the faster frame rate. We're also likely to see image quality improved in some way on the D80, probably in the ISO noise area.
Both are great cameras. But I'd wait for the dust to settle around the D80 before buying a D200...unless you need that FPS.

Robert B
NY

fspeeder Registered since 06th Jan 2005Fri 01-Sep-06 01:14 AM
1418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why should I wait to buy the D80?"
In response to Reply # 0

Barrington, US

No reason to wait if you can find a good price and you think D200 suits you better.

cquebral Registered since 17th Dec 2005Fri 01-Sep-06 03:00 AM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Why should I wait to buy the D80?"
In response to Reply # 2

Los Angeles, US

>No reason to wait if you can find a good price and you think
>D200 suits you better.

That's what I did and I got a good deal from a fellow Nikonian. I'm loving it so far and not as complicated as others claim it to be. It's not rocket science.

http://gallery.mac.com/cquebral/

MK_Hayes Registered since 04th Mar 2006Fri 01-Sep-06 12:46 PM
591 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Why should I wait to buy the D80?"
In response to Reply # 0

Pepperell, US

Just make sure that you're getting everything that comes standard with the D200 for that price. There are alot of scams out there that will sell you the body only, and I mean the body only, for $999. Then they'll charge you extra for the battery, the battery charger, the manual, etc. (Oh, you wanted a body cap?) Suddenly you're paying the same or more than if you bought from a reputable dealer.

Von Registered since 26th Aug 2006Sat 02-Sep-06 10:55 PM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Why should I wait to buy the D80?"
In response to Reply # 0

Aiea, US

Hi

I would never buy a D200 camera on EBay. Once I sold something on EBay and once I bought something on eBay and I'm still getting all kinds of scam from those transactions. I had to change my charge card number, Etc. Never again.

My daughter however is called a power broker on EBay and she is doing very well. Yet it’s not for me.

Best of luck,

Von

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Dejammey Registered since 01st Sep 2006Sun 03-Sep-06 12:44 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Why should I wait to buy the D80?"
In response to Reply # 5

I too am a power seller on eBay. I have had my own company on eBay for over 7 years now. I do buy stuff on eBay all the time and I have been burned before. Bu I always pay with pay pal because they always get my money back for me. I wont buy from anyone who does not take pay pal and that's the best way I have to protect myself from bad ebayers.

And I looked today and there are a ton of D80s on there now.

Von Registered since 26th Aug 2006Sun 03-Sep-06 01:42 AM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Why should I wait to buy the D80?"
In response to Reply # 6

Aiea, US

Thanks for your reply Dejammey.

Pay Pal is one of the companies putting things on my charge card like membership fees and things that I never ordered. They would not take the charges off my card which was only a few dollars. Even EBay management said it was unauthorized, but they did not do a thing about it. They said don't worry it will come off the card in time, but it never did. This forum in not about EBay so I better not post more on that subject here.

I guess if the D80's are on EBay then that makes it official there out.

Thanks,
Von

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 03-Sep-06 08:20 AM
28934 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Why should I wait to buy the D80?"
In response to Reply # 7

Paignton, GB

>This forum in not about EBay so I better not post more on that
>subject here.

Correct - thanks!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

John Garth Registered since 10th Jun 2006Fri 08-Sep-06 05:04 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Why should I wait to buy the D80?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Just wait a BIT longer, the D90 will be out soon, or maybe it'll be the D60.......keep waiting. You'll do the right thing for you.

westcoast Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jan 2007Mon 11-Sep-06 01:40 AM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Why should I wait to buy the D80?"
In response to Reply # 9

California, US

It's should be more like buy what you need. If you have to wait a couple of weeks for the right product, such is life. I needed the D200 for sports, so I wasn't waiting on the D80. I did stop by my local Ritz and checked one out.

If I were in the market for a D70, I would probably get the D80 now. But the look, feel and features are very different than the D200. The D80 is physically very much smaller than the D70 or D200; to me the D80 feels more like a point and shoot.

paralax Registered since 10th Sep 2006Sun 10-Sep-06 05:21 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Why should I wait to buy the D80?"
In response to Reply # 0

Or you could always get lucky like I did today...

Picked up a D80 w/Lens from Best Buy, 1300...at checkout they scanned the Barcode, and it came up as a D50...saved myself a good $500 by slyly hiding the model number as soon as I noticed

F2AS Registered since 23rd Nov 2005Sun 10-Sep-06 10:42 AM
485 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Why should I wait to buy the D80?"
In response to Reply # 10

Washington, US

Hopefully you won't have any problems with your D80. . .

Mike

bens0472 Basic MemberSun 10-Sep-06 04:57 PM
819 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Why should I wait to buy the D80?"

Roswell, US

oooh...that's bad karma, brother...bad karma.

Ben

John317 Registered since 13th Dec 2005Sun 10-Sep-06 07:46 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Why should I wait to buy the D80?"

Redding, US

Can you live with that? What you call sly is just plain old dishonesty.

John317
We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are

vmelamedov Registered since 12th Sep 2006Tue 12-Sep-06 04:55 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Why should I wait to buy the D80?"

US

Awesome! You should have buy more )

John Garth Registered since 10th Jun 2006Wed 13-Sep-06 01:20 AM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Why should I wait to buy the D80?"
In response to Reply # 15

US

Sure hope you don't instill those values in your children.

LAR860 Registered since 10th Dec 2005Wed 13-Sep-06 01:39 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Why should I wait to buy the D80?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

What are these great D200 prices you see on eBay? It's rare to see anything used there, and everybody wants msrp for buy-it-now, and the few that actually go to auction end up at the msrp anyway.

Von Registered since 26th Aug 2006Wed 13-Sep-06 03:05 AM
#18. "RE: Why should I wait to buy the D80?"
In response to Reply # 17

Aiea, US

Hi

I would never buy a good camera like the D200 on eBay, but anyway the people selling these things are not losing money at all. The camera may not even have a battery inside, then what?

Many of them sell only on bid and for example on one bid the starting price three days ago was $50.00. Already the bid is up to $1,486.00 and it’s not over yet. This one person sells about 7 each of the D200 cameras or more per week. I don’t know what the mark up is, but from the top of my head he must be making at least $1500.00 per week doing almost nothing.

Von

ehparis Registered since 25th May 2006Wed 13-Sep-06 10:09 AM
1798 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Why should I wait to buy the D80?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I''ve noticed a lot of the initial D80's listed on camera sites and eBay have "International" warranties and that is NOT the warranty I want if living in the U.S.

If comparing a Nikon USA warranted D80 and D200 I don't see much discount for either. I am NOT a fan of the gray market especially when it comes to camera bodies.

Jerry

"If your pictures aren't good enough,
you're not close enough." -Robert Capa

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #1644 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.