Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #160339
View in linear mode

Subject: "Newbie needing lens advice...." Previous topic | Next topic
_ooglewoogle_ Registered since 12th Sep 2004Sun 12-Sep-04 05:11 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Newbie needing lens advice...."

Hi there! Have lurked here for a few days learning lots, and decided it was time to jump on in.

I have my D70 and lens kit winging its way to me as we speak. My dilemma is concerning which lens to add to the kit lens. The two contenders are: a used Nikkor 70-210mm f4-5.4D as recommended by quite a few people, inc. Rockwell on his site....or the new Sigma 55-200mm DC lens.

I have found plenty of reviews on the Nikkor and, with the odd exception, it seems to be quite popular.

I have found little or no reviews on the Sigma lens, attributable I think to it being new.

Are there users here who use these lenses on the D70? How do you find them? Which would you plump for?

Any advice on this decision would be greatfully received!

Many thanks
Glen

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Newbie needing lens advice....
Jordan
12th Sep 2004
_ooglewoogle_
12th Sep 2004
Haddock
12th Sep 2004
_ooglewoogle_
12th Sep 2004
Haddock
12th Sep 2004
_ooglewoogle_
13th Sep 2004
jzfz
12th Sep 2004
edmun
12th Sep 2004
_ooglewoogle_
12th Sep 2004
_ooglewoogle_
12th Sep 2004

Jordan Registered since 22nd Oct 2002Sun 12-Sep-04 06:03 AM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Newbie needing lens advice...."
In response to Reply # 0

Athens, GR

Hi Glen,
I really don't think that you need another lens right now.
The kit lens is the equivalent of a 27-105mm in 35mm film which should cover more than 90% of most people's photographic needs. It also is quite small and a very good performer.
Stick with it and shoot thousands of pictures.
Enjoy your new camera !

http://www.jordan.gr
Nikonian in Greece

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

_ooglewoogle_ Registered since 12th Sep 2004Sun 12-Sep-04 05:22 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Newbie needing lens advice...."
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks Jordan. I can't wait to get my hands on the kit lens after all the good things I've heard/seen about it.

I am still tempted to get something a little longer to play with though! :O)

thanks
Glen

Haddock Registered since 21st Aug 2004Sun 12-Sep-04 06:28 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Newbie needing lens advice...."
In response to Reply # 0

Fjenneslev, DK

Hi Glen
You are the one to decide whether or not you need an extra lens, and I can give some advice on the Sigma 55-200 as I have one myself. I think it is a very nice lens for the price, it weighs just a little more than the kit lens and is only just slightly longer except with the hood on. It is capable of taking sharp pictures with good colors, but it does not have as fast focusing as the kit lens, but I don't consider it slowfocusing, though. I have no experience with the Nikon lens.
You can see some examples of what I have achieved with the Sigma here:
http://www.foto-basen.dk/?page=24&mode=myphotos&cat=all
Best wishes
Henrik
Denmark

No one here gets out alive

_ooglewoogle_ Registered since 12th Sep 2004Sun 12-Sep-04 05:01 PM
#5. "RE: Newbie needing lens advice...."
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks for that Henrik. Is there any way I can view your images without registering for the site? My Danish isn't too hot

Many thanks
Glen

Haddock Registered since 21st Aug 2004Sun 12-Sep-04 09:42 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Newbie needing lens advice...."
In response to Reply # 5

Fjenneslev, DK

Hi Glen.
Sorry about that, I have an auto log in, so of course it works when I try!
Well, I'll try to lead you, here we go:
Start at: www.fotobasen.dk
Click on "Fotografliste"
Click on "J"
Find "Henrik Jensen" in the list
Click on "Se billeder"
You can choose between 8, 16, 24 or 32 pics shown at the lower right
Then you should be able to see my pictures. Not all pics are with my D70/Sigma combination, but this is stated underneath the chosen pic what was used shooting the picture. You can click on the picture chosen to see a larger picture. I am aware of that some of the pictures are not tack sharp, but that is not an lens issue. I have shot lots of pictures not shown at this site with the Sigma lens which are sharp.
I see some others recommend 2.8 lenses both zoom and prime, and it is true that they will work better, but we are talking prices 4- 8 times the price of the Sigma. I paid 169 EURO for the Sigma in Germany, my guess is you can get it for the same in dollars. Anyway, if money is no problem I would surely go for a 70-200 2.8 Nikon VR or a 80-400 Nikon VR.

Kind regards
Henrik

No one here gets out alive

_ooglewoogle_ Registered since 12th Sep 2004Mon 13-Sep-04 09:25 PM
#10. "RE: Newbie needing lens advice...."
In response to Reply # 9

Thanks again Henrik...that was really useful to see. Seems like the lens is pretty impressive indeed for the price!

cheers
Glen

jzfz Registered since 21st Apr 2006Sun 12-Sep-04 04:03 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Newbie needing lens advice...."
In response to Reply # 0

I receommend a used in mint condition 80-200mm f2.8D with tripod collar. You will be pleased and will enjoy it lifetiem. I see too many people bought f3.5 lens and later on upgraded to f2.8, a huge waste of money. You can get it for around $550 on eBay. If you have a bigger budget, buy a 50mm f1.8D which cost $99 new. The fixed focal length lenses are always better than zoom lenses. So you may want to consider that option as well. They are cheaper. You will just have to carry more lenses to cover the range.

Do not buy a lot of lenses at a time, buy a few best and slowly add to your lens collection.

Also, do not buy the DX lenses (comes with your D70). The DX lenses do not work on film bodies and it is not clear it is the future direction Nikon will go.

All photographer have made mistakes in choosing lenses and you will too. So the best advice is, add as slowly as you can to make less mistakes. Hope this helps.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sun 12-Sep-04 04:53 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Newbie needing lens advice...."
In response to Reply # 3

eugene, US

I do not know why people are recommending the 70-210 Nikon lens when there are new lens with more range and the same f stops.

The 70-300 either G or D are great lens. 50% more range. And more is better on the long end.

ledmun

_ooglewoogle_ Registered since 12th Sep 2004Sun 12-Sep-04 05:07 PM
#6. "RE: Newbie needing lens advice...."
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks for the reply edmun.

I have read pretty good things about the 70-210mm Nikkor on many of the review sites, and even people like Rockwell think quite highly of it (while at the same time negating the 70-300G and D lenses as possibly not as good). http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/7021056.htm

Like I say, I have no first hand experience...just writing from the information I can gather from others.

Thanks
Glen

_ooglewoogle_ Registered since 12th Sep 2004Sun 12-Sep-04 05:20 PM
#7. "RE: Newbie needing lens advice...."
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks jzfz.

I have indeed read nothing but good things about the f2.8. If I could afford one right now I would certainly get it. As it is I am looking to get something in the interim. I know many will say to simply save up for the better lens...but as I'm learning as I go, I'm willing to take the hit.

Many thanks
Glen

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #160339 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.