nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #15956
View in linear mode

Subject: "Omnibounce or not?" Previous topic | Next topic
Zugar Registered since 09th Jun 2007Sat 09-Jun-07 08:06 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Omnibounce or not?"

Hello Nikonians!

Ive been looking into buying a flash for my D80 and I havent completly decided yet but either sb-600 or sb-800? Omnibounce or not? +/-?

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Omnibounce or not?
James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography
09th Jun 2007
petrieme
12th Jun 2007
ead8t
12th Jun 2007
ead8t
12th Jun 2007
simpo two
12th Jun 2007
Joves
12th Jun 2007
James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography
16th Jan 2008
petrieme
12th Jun 2007

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Sat 09-Jun-07 06:24 PM
9918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Omnibounce or not?"
In response to Reply # 0

Memphis, US

This would be better in the speedlight forum you would get more answers but I'll give you my 2 cents.

First the SB-800 comes with a supplied Nikon version of the omni bounce and the SB-600 does not.

I have the SB-600 and have used the omni bounce for about 5 months it did help some and I could see the difference. Then I got the Lightsphere by Gary Fong, I got the cloud version and wow what a difference I had never had such soft flash light. I got mine in the Nikonians pro shop and this was a great addition to my flash and they run $49 so they are a bit more than the omni bounce at around $12.

You can see the Lightsphere at www.garyfong.com

Hope this helps some. Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

petrieme Registered since 29th Jan 2007Tue 12-Jun-07 04:53 PM
606 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Omnibounce or not?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>This would be better in the speedlight forum you would get
>more answers but I'll give you my 2 cents.
>
>First the SB-800 comes with a supplied Nikon version of the
>omni bounce and the SB-600 does not.
>
>I have the SB-600 and have used the omni bounce for about 5
>months it did help some and I could see the difference. Then
>I got the Lightsphere by Gary Fong, I got the cloud version
>and wow what a difference I had never had such soft flash
>light. I got mine in the Nikonians pro shop and this was a
>great addition to my flash and they run $49 so they are a
>bit more than the omni bounce at around $12.
>
>You can see the Lightsphere at www.garyfong.com
>
>Hope this helps some. Jim

Listen to da man--- I Agree 110%!

-----
"A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees." -William Blake

http://fstopstudios.blogspot.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ead8t Registered since 30th Jan 2007Tue 12-Jun-07 12:03 AM
707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Omnibounce or not?"
In response to Reply # 0

Oakland, US

i think ken rockwell has a direct comparison on his site you might want to look at. he basically concludes that the sb-600 is a better deal for the money, unless you absolutely need the programmability options the sb-800 offers. then again, if you don't need manual flash settings and are fine with setting the flash from the camera body (which is a speedier way of doing it), the sb-400 which is less bulky, both in terms of weight and the chunk it will take out of your wallet, might be the way to go. definitely get a nikon flash though, i-ttl metering works best with these.

ead8t Registered since 30th Jan 2007Tue 12-Jun-07 12:04 AM
707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Omnibounce or not?"
In response to Reply # 0

Oakland, US

oh, and for $15 for the sb-600, the omni-bounce is a no-brainer. i think they make one for the sb-400 too.

simpo two Registered since 17th Aug 2004Tue 12-Jun-07 04:37 PM
2103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Omnibounce or not?"
In response to Reply # 3

UK

The problem I have with the Gary Fong product (apart from it looking like a vending machine coffee cup) is that it would seem to spread light about 360 degrees - so not very powerful in one direction?

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

Joves Registered since 28th Jan 2006Tue 12-Jun-07 06:09 PM
506 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Omnibounce or not?"
In response to Reply # 4

Flagstaff, US

I like the omnibounce with my SB600. It works great. At first when I saw them I didnt think much of them. But now that I have used it, I love it. It makes a big diffrence.

I shoot therefore, Iam.
http://joves.smugmug.com

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 16-Jan-08 02:12 PM
9918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Omnibounce or not?"
In response to Reply # 6

Memphis, US

The lightsphere does spread the light but I have not noticed a significant drop in my SB-600. Plus they have a cromedome insert that directs the light foward and doubles the power.

I have to say this is the softest light I have ever gotten from an onboard flash. Yes it looks odd but very effective and that for me is the bottom line it works.

This was a completely dark room and I was about 15 feet away and using a slow lens my 18-135DX. Only post processing was was sharpening and cropping oh and the BW conversion.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

petrieme Registered since 29th Jan 2007Tue 12-Jun-07 08:24 PM
606 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Omnibounce or not?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Well I use it for nearly all weddings and have absolutely no issues with power and lighting on an SB800....

Anytime light is diffuse it's effective power is reduced..., but personally it's the only way I find flash on camera worth using. Otherwise, I'll bring in studio strobes and wire the place.

-----
"A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees." -William Blake

http://fstopstudios.blogspot.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #15956 Previous topic | Next topic