Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #138708
View in linear mode

Subject: "Yet another reason i hate my D70" Previous topic | Next topic
Dug Registered since 21st May 2004Sun 31-Oct-04 02:01 AM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Yet another reason i hate my D70"

MAROOCHYDORE, AU

As you may or may not know I am opposed to almost all new ideas I was fine believing the world was flat and carried on the back of a huge turtle.

Then along came "Digital Photography" Boo Hiss I railed and raged against it for 5 years untill the D70 was released, at last a camera that came close to doing what a real camera should do that I could afford without selling any more of my children for medical experiments.

I have posted my hate if this demon spawn camera here before but last night the first submission to my stock library was approved they need a minimum 50meg file size interpolated up from a 17 meg raw file. The D70 passed the test with flying colours so now I have over 2,000 images to be logged in titled and key-worde

In my old film days it would take me at least a few months of shooting and scanning to get this many images ready for submission the D70 has increased my efficiency so much I am doing far more work than before.

Why was I never warned of these consequences!!!!!! Damm you D70, damm you to hell!!!!

cheers doug

PS if this keeps up I will be buying another D70 soon for my wife to shoot with.
Where will it all end!

na

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Yet another reason i hate my D70
Frenchie
31st Oct 2004
simpo two
31st Oct 2004
Dug
31st Oct 2004
Mike_walters
01st Nov 2004
Dug
01st Nov 2004
Mike_walters
01st Nov 2004
Dug
01st Nov 2004
simonsi
01st Nov 2004
rleibfreid
01st Nov 2004
Dug
01st Nov 2004
          Reply message RE: 17 mg to 50mg
ROBRAND
01st Nov 2004
               Reply message RE: 17 mg to 50mg
ROBRAND
01st Nov 2004

Frenchie Registered since 06th Oct 2004Sun 31-Oct-04 08:09 AM
1308 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Yet another reason i hate my D70"
In response to Reply # 0

FR

:-)

Pete
"Cameras don't take photographs, people do" - John Hedgecoe said that.
"Expose for the highlights and let the shadows take care of themselves" - Ansel Adams said that.
"The camera is only a tool. The best saw in the world won't make you a great carpenter" - I said that
A few photos, here for a reason

simpo two Registered since 17th Aug 2004Sun 31-Oct-04 09:10 AM
2103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Yet another reason i hate my D70"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Nice one!

But what's the point of making a 50Mb file from a 17Mb one? It can't contain any more information... it's just bloat, surely?

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

Dug Registered since 21st May 2004Sun 31-Oct-04 09:32 AM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Yet another reason i hate my D70"
In response to Reply # 2

MAROOCHYDORE, AU

And the reason is!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> They ask us to!

I think it is to make it quicker and easier for those who purchase images.

But I really don't know. As long as the money comes I really don't care too much eithe

I let greater minds than mine ponder these things.

na

Mike_walters Registered since 04th Apr 2003Mon 01-Nov-04 10:25 AM
1058 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Yet another reason i hate my D70"
In response to Reply # 3

Taunton, GB

Now this may seem like a really dumb question/statement, but arnt D70 RAW files only about 6MB???

Am I missing something here???

Regards

My website Digital Eyes Photography
My Nikonians Gallery

Mike

Dug Registered since 21st May 2004Mon 01-Nov-04 10:58 AM
#5. "RE: Yet another reason i hate my D70"
In response to Reply # 4

MAROOCHYDORE, AU

Shooting in NEF Raw gives you a compressed 5 to 6 meg file that file then opens in Photoshop as a 17.3 meg Tif file then I interpolate up to 50 meg.

Goodness me! yet another reason to hate the D70, people asking about things I really have absolutely NO IDEA about!

cheers doug

na

Mike_walters Registered since 04th Apr 2003Mon 01-Nov-04 11:09 AM
1058 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Yet another reason i hate my D70"
In response to Reply # 5

Taunton, GB

Another dumb question Dug, how do you interpolate up to 50MB?

Regards

My website Digital Eyes Photography
My Nikonians Gallery

Mike

Dug Registered since 21st May 2004Mon 01-Nov-04 11:15 AM
#7. "RE: Yet another reason i hate my D70"
In response to Reply # 6

MAROOCHYDORE, AU

This one is easy!!! I push the button that my computer literate friend set up for m

There is an image resize thing and Bi cubic thing then the words saw 50 meg it batches them too. Help me out someone I'm dying here!!!!!!

Oh Photoshop CS I turn on Photoshop CS there are other programs that will do it but I use Photoshop CS.

na

simonsi Registered since 17th Apr 2003Mon 01-Nov-04 01:20 PM
1285 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Yet another reason i hate my D70"
In response to Reply # 7

Auckland, NZ

Given that your stock library is so technically illiterate (I bet they are not the only ones!), why not interpolate up to 100Mb and charge them more for used images as the images are so >obviously< of even higher quality....

Cheers

Simon

A New Zealand Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

rleibfreid Registered since 24th Feb 2002Mon 01-Nov-04 05:18 PM
336 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Yet another reason i hate my D70"
In response to Reply # 8

Arlington, US

>Given that your stock library is so technically illiterate
>(I bet they are not the only ones!), why not interpolate up
>to 100Mb and charge them more for used images as the images
>are so >obviously< of even higher quality....

Funny thing is - a 17MB TIFF means it's only 8 bit. 16 bit TIFFs are 35MB each. I'd rather spend the storage budget on color information.

Dug Registered since 21st May 2004Mon 01-Nov-04 09:15 PM
#12. "RE: Yet another reason i hate my D70"
In response to Reply # 8

MAROOCHYDORE, AU

It is really not a matter of quality but speed. This is the best size to offer clients who are designers. Designers are people who run to crazy deadlines and need stuff now!

They are the technically illiterate ones.

The Library I use can send a file anywhere, anytime, immediately. Most sales occur in the last few days of the month when deadlines are closing and stuff HAS TO BE DONE NOW!!!!

They request 8 bit colour so I shoot 8 bit colour easy. Quality is in the eye of the beholder.

na

ROBRAND Basic MemberMon 01-Nov-04 01:59 PM
0 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: 17 mg to 50mg"
In response to Reply # 3

My Raw files staright from the camera are only 5+megs - how do you increase to 50megs?
Just in case I ever take any photo.s worth sending to a photo. Library!

ROBRAND Basic MemberMon 01-Nov-04 02:01 PM
0 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: 17 mg to 50mg"
In response to Reply # 9

Please ignore - my computers playing silly b's - I know the answers already been posted!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #138708 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.