Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Your opinion on lenses and guide books

Rick_Afonso

Cape Town, ZA
7 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Rick_Afonso Registered since 09th Nov 2004
Wed 10-Nov-04 07:33 AM

Hi Everyone

I am a new Nikonian, although I have been reading this forum and the site overall for the past month or two.

I have had my D70, including 18-70mm lens and 70-300mm G lens for about a month. I know that opinion is divided on the 70-300 G lens, however I am having great fun using my D70 and both lenses, and I have taken some nice sharp pictures with both lenses. I would like your opinions on which of the aftermarket user guides - Thom Hogan's D70 guide, Dennis Curtin Shortcourses D70 guide and there is a third - although the name escapes me, is the best?

Second -

I would like a bright sharp lens that allows me to photograph sports(Mountain Biking, Cricket, Rugby), portraits, wildlife etc

While I would love to own Nikon VR glass, my budget doesn't accomodate this, given that it would cost almost double the price of the Sigma (here in South Africa)

I have a couple of lenses on my wishlist

1) Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 HSM
2) Sigma 135-400mm F4-5.6

I have read all the reviews I could get my hands on, on both of these lenses as well has getting personal opinions from a couple of friends who own the lenses mentioned. I have used the 70-200 on a friends Canon 10D and was very impressed.

My question is

Which would be a better option
1) The Sigma 70-200 with TeleConvertors (1.4x & 2x)
or the Sigma 135-400?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Rick Afonso
Cape Town
South Africa

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Your opinion on lenses and guide books