Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #131672
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC" Previous topic | Next topic
SeaDan Registered since 08th Oct 2004Fri 12-Nov-04 05:16 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"

Seattle, US

Greetings All,
As my interest in photograpgy grew I went through several digital cameras, now I am using a D70. With all of these great new shots my interest in photo processing has also grown. I have used IBM PC's for my entire computer life.
I have been told by many friends and associates that photo processing is easier and better on a MAC. I am looking for some advice based on actual experience. Might there be someone out there who has recently changed from IBM to MAC....?

Any adive would be appreciated, I will continue with my own research.

Dan

Northwest Dan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC
martano
12th Nov 2004
bew Silver Member
12th Nov 2004
SeaDan
12th Nov 2004
Frenchie
12th Nov 2004
Len Shepherd Gold Member
12th Nov 2004
martano
12th Nov 2004
overney
15th Nov 2004
overney
17th Nov 2004
martano
12th Nov 2004
12th Nov 2004
rleibfreid
12th Nov 2004
Frenchie
12th Nov 2004
bew Silver Member
12th Nov 2004
neilxt
14th Nov 2004
13th Nov 2004
D70Amateur
15th Nov 2004
rleibfreid
17th Nov 2004
Thorpe
12th Nov 2004
Nerdlestein
17th Nov 2004
Pursuit Silver Member
17th Nov 2004
rkgibbons
12th Nov 2004
PS_RagE
12th Nov 2004
solorguy
13th Nov 2004
bew Silver Member
13th Nov 2004
Reply message to add my 2 cents...
twanto
13th Nov 2004
Reply message RE: to add my 2 cents...
martano
13th Nov 2004
13th Nov 2004
neilxt
14th Nov 2004
D70Amateur
15th Nov 2004
jsalcedo
13th Nov 2004
neilxt
14th Nov 2004
jsalcedo
14th Nov 2004
bradrex1
14th Nov 2004
gedaliah
14th Nov 2004
14th Nov 2004
chucky2
14th Nov 2004
neilxt
14th Nov 2004
tommy2000
14th Nov 2004
chucky2
14th Nov 2004
NZDoug
14th Nov 2004
Nikon_loony
14th Nov 2004
dfrelich
14th Nov 2004
jschone
15th Nov 2004
sixgun
15th Nov 2004
Reply message Moderator: Does this really belong into this forum?
overney
15th Nov 2004
Reply message changing from the PC to the Mac
spenny
16th Nov 2004
     Reply message RE: changing from the PC to the Mac
overney
16th Nov 2004
rleibfreid
17th Nov 2004
overney
17th Nov 2004

martano Registered since 30th Jun 2004Fri 12-Nov-04 05:25 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 0

Buenos Aires, AR

Hello!

If you are asking for advice you'll have a lot of Mac users that will tells you: BUY ONE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We can discuss a lot but there is a real reason: Macintosh is easy, simple and it works.

You will deal less with problems than in a windoze platform.

There was some old ads in TV and apple website called Switch with real people that switched from PC to MAC.

Hope to see your reply telling us that you bought a G5 or a Powerbook.

Tano
PowerMac G5, D70, iBook G4

bew Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2004Fri 12-Nov-04 05:47 PM
1019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 1

San Antonio, US

As one who has worked in the computer industry for a while, I have first hand experience dealing with several operating systems.

I have been a programmer on both a Digital Alpha (OpenVMS operating system) and a Sun Unix system. As such I really appreciate the speed and efficiency of Unix. In Jan 2002 I read where Apple had brought out a new OS (OSX) which was BSD Unix based. Up until that time I had been slugging along with PC crowd. I couldn't buy a Mac quick enough - first an iBook (to get my feet wet) and then a G4.

A few months later I even bought a 1.8ghz PC, because there were some things more easily done with the PC (simply because software existed).

I'm not too sure whether the Mac holds any edge with still photography but for Video, no comparison. One of my co-workers owns a dual 2.5ghz G5 and when it comes to rendering Video it is probably in the area of 10 times faster than any PC we've seen. I haven't bothered to compare, I use the Mac and that's it.

Bert

SeaDan Registered since 08th Oct 2004Fri 12-Nov-04 06:17 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, US

I've been told about the difference in speed when dealing with video when using a mac, I wasn't sure about still photos. I am not completely sold on simply upgrading my PC.
I also own a digital camcorder, I am looking forward to creating/editing some DVD's.
Macs are very pricey compared to PCs, is there really a big performance difference from g4 to g5. or would an Imac be enough to get me started.

The powerbooks look fantastic, but having just bought the D70 kit, 50mm 1.4 lens, cam bad, ac adapter, various other accessories ect........I just can't see spending thousands on a laptop right now.

Northwest Dan

Frenchie Registered since 06th Oct 2004Fri 12-Nov-04 06:45 PM
1308 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 3

FR

AAMOI, will Capture 4.12 and Photoshop CS run on a Mac or, if you already have these programs for the PC would switching to a Mac mean new expenditure on the software?

Pete
"Cameras don't take photographs, people do" - John Hedgecoe said that.
"Expose for the highlights and let the shadows take care of themselves" - Ansel Adams said that.
"The camera is only a tool. The best saw in the world won't make you a great carpenter" - I said that
A few photos, here for a reason

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Fri 12-Nov-04 07:07 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 3

Yorkshire, GB

> Macs are very pricey compared to PCs,

My research indicates upgrading a PC motherboard to near Mac performance adds at least a third to the cost of a PC, and so far there are no PC motherboards comparable to Mac in 64 bit.

A Diamond Pro monitor is probably still better than any flat panel for image editing.
A Mac G5 with a Diamond Pro can cost less than a PC with upgraded motherboard.

Macs are almost universal in the professional 2D and 3D arena, but there is less software choice than PC.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

martano Registered since 30th Jun 2004Fri 12-Nov-04 07:28 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 5

Buenos Aires, AR

>arena, but there is less software choice than PC.

So... how many software do you need that can't be reached in Mac world.

I have everything what i need.

overney Registered since 18th Jul 2004Mon 15-Nov-04 10:33 PM
296 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Sorry, I have not noticed that this forum is sponsored by Apple

In case it is not, here is my reply:

"...and so far there are no PC motherboards comparable to Mac in 64 bit"

This is exactly the kind of pointless argumentation, which helps Apple but does not help the consumer of low cost digital SLRs; especially since this particular statement is just plain wrong!

Gregor

My photo galleries at http://picasaweb.google.com/Gregor.Overney/

overney Registered since 18th Jul 2004Wed 17-Nov-04 06:03 AM
296 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#45. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 41

US

Just in case, there are some Nikonians interested in the differences between Apple's G5 architecture vs. AMD's Opteron architecture, the following HTML page is a good read:

http://www.unixgods.org/~tilo/Opteron_vs_G5.html

Gregor

martano Registered since 30th Jun 2004Fri 12-Nov-04 07:31 PM
#7. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 3

Buenos Aires, AR

> or would an Imac be enough to get me started.

An old G4 or the new G5 iMac you ask?

Did you visited Apple Store the most cheapest iMac G5 cost only U$S1299

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70402/wo/FX2Ub7ulwsvc2tETfjW1tua6jpY/0.0.11.1.0.6.21.1.2.1.1.0.0.1.0

Tano

1024 Registered since 23rd Sep 2004Fri 12-Nov-04 07:39 PM
79 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 0

United States, US

The thing I like about Macs and OSX is that I do not have to worry about the system crashing, slowing down, getting a virus, etc. OSX is rock solid and Britain's MI2 intelligence agency just gave OSX it's top rating for security. Therefore, I can spend more time doing the things I enjoy, like shooting pictures.

There is a pretty big difference between the G4 and G5 processors. Currently I have 3 year old G4 quicksilver at home. The university I teach at has dual G5s. That's a big leap for video and DVD burning.

My plan is to upgrade to the G5 iMac sometime next year. Wait until Jaunary if you can, to see what revisions they add to the iMac line.
get the 20" iMac if you can spring for it. The display alone would cost 800 bucks.

Russ

rleibfreid Registered since 24th Feb 2002Fri 12-Nov-04 09:07 PM
336 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 8

Arlington, US

Yeah, I like OS X. It's kind of sad that most Mac users don't realize the power of that operating system. I have a NeXT (running NeXTSTEP of course) which was the predecessor to OS X.

There has really only been a few true comparisons of the G5 to other contemporary CPUs. This test was highly illuminating, but hardly surprising to anyone who has used a dual Opteron...

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112749,pg,8,00.asp

The Polywell mopped the floor with the rest of the field and it wasn't even running RAID. Also, AMD will have dual core (two CPUs on the same die) that will work in current single and dual socket Opteron motherboards in the first half of 05. Dual core for the regular Athlon 64 line in the second half of 05. Being able to take advantage of multi-threading without having to spring for two chips will be nice. Also, Microsoft has officially stated that dual core chips will be considered 1 CPU for OS licensing.

Oh, and as far as displays go, the Dell 2001FP is on sale today for $599 + shipping + tax. It's a 1600x1200 native display and is a true 16ms 24bit display. It is also known to have excellent color rendition. Or, if you have to have widescreen - the 2005FPW (20.1 in) is on sale today for $639 after coupon codes. Native res is 1680x1050. I personally don't use my LCD for photo editing anymore, but to each his own.

Frenchie Registered since 06th Oct 2004Fri 12-Nov-04 09:42 PM
1308 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 9

FR

>>and Britain's MI2 intelligence agency just gave OSX it's top rating for security<<

As a Brit, I know about MI5 and MI6 but.... MI2? Who are they?!

Pete
"Cameras don't take photographs, people do" - John Hedgecoe said that.
"Expose for the highlights and let the shadows take care of themselves" - Ansel Adams said that.
"The camera is only a tool. The best saw in the world won't make you a great carpenter" - I said that
A few photos, here for a reason

bew Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2004Fri 12-Nov-04 10:10 PM
1019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 10

San Antonio, US

Hardware: The G5 is a 64 bit OS, the G4 32. Twice as fast for the same clock speed. (assuming your software is 64 bit)

Software: The Capture CD is for either MAC or PC. Not so with Photoshop.

As mentioned most think that the MAC is more expensive. It may be slightly more but look what you get for your money.

It's true that MACs are not that virus prone but consider why. With 95% of the market PC what would you attack if you were the bad guy?

As I mentioned, at work we have a Digital Alpha. Digital was bought out by Compaq, who in turn were bought out by HP. The reason for all this - HP and Intel had a deal for the Alpha (64 bit) chip. IA64=Intel/alpha 64. Oops sorry, better get off my soapbox.

Opinion: for still photography either works very well. But, when you get into video stuff, applications like Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Maya, etc. the MAC G5 will run rings around most else out there.

Bert

neilxt Registered since 01st Sep 2004Sun 14-Nov-04 12:12 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#24. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 11

United States, US

>Software: The Capture CD is for either MAC or PC. Not so
>with Photoshop.
>
I believe you can swap platforms for the upgrade price. Still an expense, but not nearly so much.

>It's true that MACs are not that virus prone but consider
>why. With 95% of the market PC what would you attack if you
>were the bad guy?

That's half the story, but the Mac is structurally different in ways that make it much harder to hack. There are things applications are forced to do for themselves on Windows that open doors to hackers whereas the Mac takes that responsibility for itself enabling it to keep those doors closed.

Neil
:->|}

1024 Registered since 23rd Sep 2004Sat 13-Nov-04 10:14 PM
79 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 10

United States, US

Hello from across the pond! I went back and checked that story. It was "Mi2g", whatever that is. Here's the link:
http://www.mi2g.net/cgi/mi2g/frameset.php?pageid=http%3A//www.mi2g.net/cgi/mi2g/press/190204_2.php

Happy shooting.

D70Amateur Registered since 15th Nov 2004Mon 15-Nov-04 07:25 PM
#37. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 9

Berkeley, US

You said, "it's kind of sad that most Mac users don't realize the power of that operating system (OS X)". Do you mean to say that most Mac users are still using OS 9? That's hard to believe. I have both on my system, but I haven't used anything on OS 9 for a long time. It would be interesting to see some estimates on what percentage of Mac users still use OS 9.

rleibfreid Registered since 24th Feb 2002Wed 17-Nov-04 06:28 PM
336 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#46. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 37

Arlington, US

No, I mean as a longtime UNIX user/admin I am saying that the average run of the mill Mac user is tapping a rather small percentage of what you can do with that OS. It's actually a testament to Jobs' original work improving Mach 20 years ago that it can be convincingly passed off as cutting edge stuff today with a little freshening. This look familiar to anyone?

http://members.fortunecity.com/pcmuseum/next.htm

OS X is based on Free BSD 4.4 and the OSF/mk Mach 3. The various BSDs generally have good security defaults, and Apple did a good job of retaining and setting things. Nothing is bulletproof though.

I used the first OS X deployment - OSX Server back in 99. During the early adoption phases, the Apple developer camp was actually in danger of becoming fragmented, with the NeXTies taking rather elitist stances against their simpler MacOS counterparts. Apple did a good job of rolling them all together.

Thorpe Registered since 14th Oct 2004Fri 12-Nov-04 10:55 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 8

GB

Whoahhh there! :O No such thing as MI2. And even if there was, in the UK the Intelligence Agencies don't hand out public or even non-public endorsements of software or OS. The only body with UK Government authority to say anything like what you are declaring is the CESG - Communications Electronic Security Group. Check out their website if you're interested at www.cesg.gov.uk.

I'm not saying that the Mac OS is not rock-solid: I just wanted to stop a "UK Intelligence Agency" myth from spreading. Plus, to my mind, there is a distinct difference between security and stability. Both are highly desirable, neither are found together in consumer OS.

To return to the thread after my little diversion I have no idea whether Macs or PCs are better for image editing, because I only have PC experience. PS Elements is installed on my PC, with the limiting factor more often me than the stability of Windows XP.

Thorpe

Thorpe

Nerdlestein Registered since 26th Apr 2004Wed 17-Nov-04 12:05 AM
111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#44. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 13

Boston, US

mi2g appears to be a company, not a government agency. This quote was from their "profile" page: "mi2g was founded in 1995 by DK Matai and is focused on D2 Banking?. It is a private limited company headquartered in London with zero debt."

OS X has their approval, but that doesn't mean the UK government gave it theirs as well .

Pursuit Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2003Wed 17-Nov-04 11:59 PM
2110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#49. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 44

Kihei, US

I wouldn't get overly excited about any security rating handed out by government organizations or industry organizations. What they usually mean is that the product "can" be configured to meet a very specific criteria. Windows NT, for instance, has been accredited as meeting the C2 security criteria as defined and evaluated by the US DoD, but there are very few people that will want to run their system in a C2 compliant configuration.

Jim Kelly
Seasonally 808

rkgibbons Registered since 16th Aug 2004Fri 12-Nov-04 10:48 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 0

It's important to use extreme caution when evaluating computer platforms based on the opinions of existing users. You'll find that (in general) most MAC users are very vocal about their support for the platform. In a forum with 1,000 subscribed members (100 of which are MAC-owners), you'll likely get 80 Mac-users replying to your question and only a couple of PC users. Does this mean that the MAC is superior? Or that Mac owners are more satisfied with their computers? No, it just means that MAC users tend to "spread the faith" a lot more frequently, passionately, and willingly than PC users. It's part of the Mac culture (and you'll be expected to carry on the tradition if you buy a Mac!!)

If you're worried about stability -- be wary about over-exaggerated reports of PC crashes. Come on, my system hasn't crashed once since I've installed Windows XP Professional -- and believe me, I have a hodge-podge of stuff running on it.

And If you're looking simply for raw speed, well, don't let any of the G5 fans fool you into thinking it's the fastest machine out there. To be frank, it's not even close:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112749,pg,8,00.asp

But let's be honest, using a computer is more about "feel" than about the far reachest of 64bit speed performance. Afterall, there's only a handful of applications available at present that even utilize 64bit technology.

At the end of the day, for every killer app that exists on one platform, there's a pretty close equivalent kicking ass on the other platform. So you need to sit down with both, fiddle with the software you intend to use, and figure out which feels better.

I can understand why people enjoy the Mac. I use one at work and think it's a great machine. But I love to tinker, and I love the HUGE number of PC-based resources available on the net.

The PC just feels better to me and my idea of "computing".

But you need to make up your own mind, not listen to me, or any one else.

PS_RagE Registered since 21st Jul 2004Fri 12-Nov-04 11:19 PM
334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 12

Timmins, CA

Well, I certainly don't want to fuel a debate (and so far there are no flames...) but I have to admit I am a "WinTel" guy. I personally own 7 of them (with the most powerful being a dual 3G Xeon machine) and since I'm almost all XP now I've experienced no crashes. Upgrading a PC is pretty easy and not very expensive if you do it yourself

A. Dale McLean
aka PS-RagE
www.Bugography.com
Nikonians Gallery

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle

solorguy Registered since 04th Mar 2003Sat 13-Nov-04 01:02 PM
358 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 14

Gray, US

I have been nibbling at the apple also. I am pc now, but a friend and some reading have me looking at the power book. +++ less virus problems, is said to be better at pictures. ---- I do not know anyone who has one that I can play with and the nearest store is 100 miles and THE COST $$$$$. Being a solorguy I need a laptop to cut energy consumption. A new pc 2.5 gig w 1gig ram and 128 video and high end screen plus some other bells is $2800 an Apple of same type, they wanted $4100. I think not.

solorguy

bew Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2004Sat 13-Nov-04 02:17 PM
#16. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 12

San Antonio, US

Of course you're right and so is everyone else. I guess it's human nature for a person to think that what they own is better. Otherwise we'll feel stupid for getting the wrong thing.

Mac owners are sorta like, hmm let's see, Nikon owners.

Bert

twanto Basic MemberSat 13-Nov-04 09:23 PM
1298 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#17. "to add my 2 cents..."
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

I use both PCs and Macs for photo editing. Like you, I have been a PC user for a long time. My personal preference is the PC- I am used to how it works and I find it more user friendly. Macs just frustrate me; maybe that is because I am so used to windows.

At work/school I am forced to use Macs because that is all we have in the lab. We have a dual G5 machine along with three others, which is nice- but while OSX a billion times more pleasing to use than OS9, I still prefer the windows interface.

And I don't care what anyone tells you about crashing. XP and OSX are both very stable... in my experience the Mac has crashed a whole lot more than the XP... but that has more to do with the software you are running on it.

Nathan

martano Registered since 30th Jun 2004Sat 13-Nov-04 09:40 PM
#18. "RE: to add my 2 cents..."
In response to Reply # 17

Buenos Aires, AR

>I use both PCs and Macs for photo editing. Like you, I have
>been a PC user for a long time. My personal preference is
>the PC- I am used to how it works and I find it more user
>friendly. Macs just frustrate me; maybe that is because I
>am so used to windows.
>
>At work/school I am forced to use Macs because that is all
>we have in the lab. We have a dual G5 machine along with
>three others, which is nice- but while OSX a billion times
>more pleasing to use than OS9, I still prefer the windows
>interface.
>
>And I don't care what anyone tells you about crashing. XP
>and OSX are both very stable... in my experience the Mac has
>crashed a whole lot more than the XP... but that has more to
>do with the software you are running on it.

Hi I know very well that it is a D70 forum. Cause computer is a stuff related in that matter I understand that we discuss that, but ...

...I don't know if you are joking or not, but my friend, before post comments like this first you should read a little bit about a real GUI, read Jeff Raskin web site, etc, before to speak about the Macintosh Graphic User Interface and its friendish. etc etc etc.

No more comments for this topic.

Bye!

1024 Registered since 23rd Sep 2004Sat 13-Nov-04 10:21 PM
#20. "RE: to add my 2 cents..."
In response to Reply # 18

United States, US

Just wanted to post that link to the OS X security story here for all to read, and-prove I'm not crazy! Well, THAT may require more than this link, but here goes:

http://www.mi2g.net/cgi/mi2g/frameset.php?pageid=http%3A//www.mi2g.net/cgi/mi2g/press/190204_2.php

Mac or PC? There's really no right answer except the one that works for you.
Good luck either way.

neilxt Registered since 01st Sep 2004Sun 14-Nov-04 06:45 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#31. "RE: to add my 2 cents..."

United States, US

>>>
At work/school I am forced to use Macs because that is all we have in the lab. We have a dual G5 machine along with three others, which is nice- but while OSX a billion times more pleasing to use than OS9, I still prefer the windows interface.
<<<

As I said in another reply - when making a switch like this it's always the things you miss that you notice first.

Give it time; you'll learn to love the differences.

Neil

D70Amateur Registered since 15th Nov 2004Mon 15-Nov-04 07:45 PM
#39. "RE: to add my 2 cents..."

Berkeley, US

Besides the issues related to which operating system crashes more, is more user friendly, etc...

Haven't you noticed how "generic" looking Windows is? Just the look of the operating system is so plain. (cheap looking)

I see people mention Macs being more expensive, but to me...all you have to do is start up a computer running each system, take one look at each, and the extra expense of the Mac is well worth the extra price.

I think Windows is probably suited to the business world (spread sheets, data bases, etc)
Home users are much better served with a Mac, with the "digital hub" stategy, the more attractive interface, etc. Windows is more utilitarian. That the way I feel about it anyway.

jsalcedo Registered since 24th Jun 2004Sat 13-Nov-04 10:35 PM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 0

Porto, PT

Go for a Mac. There are many models to choose from, depending on performance or convenience levels that you may want.

The Mac OSX operating system is incredible stable, and all software has a consistent user interface. The learning curve is simple, productivity is great. You will also have fun.

And, besides, connectivity is all built-in. No need for expansion cards or odd-balled interfaces/drivers to deal with. Everything works in a consistent way, within OSX, by far the most advanced and stable operating system available for personal computers.

Jose Salcedo
http://homepage.mac.com/ja_person/album/

Best regards,

Jose Salcedo
http://tinyurl.com/mx9x77

neilxt Registered since 01st Sep 2004Sun 14-Nov-04 12:03 AM
#22. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 0

United States, US

Way to start a Flame War; Dan!

OK I've used both extensively and am a strong Mac evangelist, so take that as the built in bias and I'll try to be as unbiased as possible while discussing the Dark Side; oops.

First off; there's no actual need to switch. Just about everything you can do on Mac you can do on a PC and there is quite a lot of software available for the PC - especially shareware and high end games - that you can't get on a Mac.

That said, just about everything you DO do on a Mac... everything that involves the user interface of the OS (which, let's face it, is pretty much everything) is a little bit cleaner, a little bit easier, a little bit more intuitive and more than a little bit better standardized across applications.

Little bits like...
The maximize button is replaced by a "shrink to fit" button.
Like being able to put your own icons on folders.
like being able to make shortcuts point to shortcuts (trust me, that's a valuable feature).
Like your "taskbar" (the Dock) can grow the icon you're pointing to so that you can clearly see it.
Like your "taskbar" (the Dock) shows minimized windows using an icon of the window contents.
Like your "taskbar" (the Dock) can attach or remove commonly used applications, or folders, or files, almost pathetically easily.

OK - I'll stop there. I had a list of over 200 at one stage, but you get the idea. But those "little bits" start adding up to a much better experience quite rapidly.

From a photographer's POV there are a couple of things worth mentioning.

First, Mac's reputation as a graphics and publishing engine has helped to ensure that the graphics products are kept up to date or a little ahead on the Mac side, which helps to maintain that image.

Second, the Mac has a higher standard gamut. Both are adjustable, but the Mac starts out with a brighter, crisper look. I don't have enough experience to know how much effect that has on the end result.

One warning if you do make the switch (and it applies to ANY major lifestyle change)...

It's the things you miss that you'll notice first. The things you'll like tend to come as pleasant little discoveries later. And trust me, if you make the switch, those pleasant little surprises will still be coming years later.

Neil

jsalcedo Registered since 24th Jun 2004Sun 14-Nov-04 12:10 AM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 22

Porto, PT

Clap, clap, clap, Neil...

Jose Salcedo
http://homepage.mac.com/ja_person/album/

Best regards,

Jose Salcedo
http://tinyurl.com/mx9x77

bradrex1 Registered since 19th Sep 2004Sun 14-Nov-04 12:53 AM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 23

Join us my son....

I use a PC at work, and can't see paying for one with my own money. I have a Mac at home and went with a PowerBook 17 just so I could bring it in from time to time when my PC is either on the fritz, or I just can't be bothered to nurse it along.

There has been an explosion recently in PC viri, worms, and spyware. The mac remains remarakablt clear of those problems. The new PC viri are targeting your passwords and credit card number BTW. At some point the black relized there is no money in wiping your hard drive.

It's a personnal choice, but the mac experiance is far more satisifing. Mac owners BTW out earn PC owners by 30%, so be sure to ask your boss for a raise.

gedaliah Registered since 27th Mar 2003Sun 14-Nov-04 12:52 AM
89 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I am a unix administrator at an engineering university. I manage various flavor of unix including Mac OS X. My OS preference is Mac OS X.

My opinion is this, there is enough of a learning curve with photo-processing that I would not want to also be dealing with learning a new operating system. The software you might use to process photos, capture, photoshop, etc. are similar whether you run them on a mac or a wintel computer. Become completely familiar with the software. After that, if there is something specific you think will work better on a Mac, make the change.

For a single user computer, windows XP is stable enough. Crappy software makes any operating look bad. BTW, Picture Project and Capture is crappy sofware. I use them both, but they are slow and PP particularly is unpredictable.

--Gedaliah

1024 Registered since 23rd Sep 2004Sun 14-Nov-04 02:06 AM
#27. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 25

United States, US

One thing in favor of the Mac is to consider if you have any interest at all in doing digital video. The Mac is way out in front for that use. iMovie,iDVD and iPhoto all work seamlessly together. Final Cut Pro is becoming the de Facto pro video editing software.

On the other hand, if you do or plan to do a lot of 3-D modeling or animation, the PC apps seem to be ahead of the Mac.

One more final note, those looking for an affordable Apple Laptop should consider the iBook. Apple just made a major upgrade to that line and the price is more competitive and better performance.
The Powerbooks are also due for an upgrade in Jan. Most likely dual G4 processors as they can't yet get the G5 to run cool enough.

chucky2 Registered since 10th Nov 2004Sun 14-Nov-04 05:18 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 0

Fairview Heights, US

I must be the most ignorant about photography lurker here (but I do own a D70 kit!)...however, I do have fairly extensive PC experience (No Macs though)...

I think what you'll find is there's arguments that can be made from both sides about stability, ease of use, features, etc.

To clear up some common PC/x86 misconceptions:

Windows XP: Is completely stable - if you experience crashing, you either have 1.) bad hardware, 2.) crappy software, and/or 3.) bad/corrupted install of XP. Bad hardware can happen to a PC or MAC, as can crappy software, and a bad OS install or a corrupted OS.

People who insinuate Windows isn't stable are either Mac zeolots who are living back in the Windows 3.1/95 original days and mad that Mac's have like <10% marketshare or ignorany people spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) about something they know nothing about. I can't put it any other way other than this: I WAS the network administrator for a high school district before I left (on fine terms) for another non-computer related job...and ALL our XP machines ran just fine without any unexpected downtime...the rest of the PC's that ran Windows 98SE or 95 OSR2 also ran just fine...hardware failures on the crappy Dell machines (XP) and hardware failures on the older machines were what took up 95% of my time.

Intel vs. AMD: If you are looking at a x86 PC at this time, I cannot see a reason - unless you could get some GREAT deal and - not to by some flavor of AMD x86-64 machine (Opteron, Athlon FX, Athlon 64). Truly, there is no compelling reason - none - to buy an Intel based machine.

You can check out site such as www.anandtech.com and www.aceshardware.com for truly unbiased and quality reviews of all past, current, and in some cases future PC (and sometime Mac) hardware. I think www.arstechnica.com has some reviews of Mac stuff...might want to check that out also.

rkgibbons and gedaliah both have some wise advice....

And, because I'm definitely a PC guy, I love this videos (And I admit, there are definitely ones that are the same variety for the PC!):

(Not for the kids or work)
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/apple.wmv
http://www.whitehathouston.com/mac.wmv

neilxt Registered since 01st Sep 2004Sun 14-Nov-04 06:53 PM
#32. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 28

United States, US

>>>
Windows XP: Is completely stable - if you experience crashing, you either have 1.) bad hardware, 2.) crappy software, and/or 3.) bad/corrupted install of XP. Bad hardware can happen to a PC or MAC, as can crappy software, and a bad OS install or a corrupted OS.
<<<
"bad hardware", yes - however ... Most Apple hardware is produced by Apple and or to stringent Apple standards which is why it's a) more expensive and b) less crash prone.

"Bad software" - not so much ... Apple has strong protections built into the OS to prevent an application crash bringing down the whole OS. I believe XP does, too - but that they're still some way behind Apple in making this effective.

Neil

tommy2000 Registered since 09th Nov 2004Sun 14-Nov-04 06:59 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 0

>Greetings All,
> As my interest in photograpgy grew I went
>through several digital cameras, now I am using a D70. With
>all of these great new shots my interest in photo processing
>has also grown. I have used IBM PC's for my entire computer
>life.
> I have been told by many friends and
>associates that photo processing is easier and better on a
>MAC. I am looking for some advice based on actual
>experience. Might there be someone out there who has
>recently changed from IBM to MAC....?
>
> Any adive would be appreciated, I will continue with my own
>research.
>
>Dan

This should prove to be an exciting thread!

I've been a long time user of both, and in the industry for a long while as a software engineer. For a lot of work related stuff, I use a PC. For photography and music production (my other passion), it was always a no-brainer to use the Mac....

Until OS X and the new Mac G5's came out. Don't get me wrong, the Mac still holds a special place in my heart, and this post is being done on an older Pismo powerbook even, but IMHO, the Mac is slowly becoming a second class citizen for music production. For my world of photography, I see the PC as viable a platform as the Mac these days.

Here's what I think you might lose going to the Mac:

1) Price/performance. The new Dual G5's are great, and expensive. I run my photo stuff now on a AMD 64/1G RAM/250 G SATA drive that I built for less than $800. It runs everything photo/video related as well, or better, than the Mac. Same or similar software. Compare the $800 to about $3000 for a G5.

2) OS X woes. I come from the world where OS 9 was flawless in terms of art/photo/music software. OS X (10.3) has been more disappointing that thrilling for me, I've got nearly as many OS upgrades now on the Mac as Win XP and find that I have as many quirky software issues on Win as Mac. YMMV, but OS X no longer leading Win XP in my world.

3) Marketplace innovation. This is purely subjective, but I find more useful software for Windows these days. I'm buying a fair amount of music software, and that's definitely surging ahead with Windows releases. My digital imaging and management software runs great on Windows as well, and I find as much new photo related stuff for Win as I did for Mac.

Anyway, for me it's mostly $$$. The most telling tale I'd relate is that I was able to purchase my D70 AND build my new PC system for almost $1000 less than the price of a new Dual G5.

Good luck.

Tom

chucky2 Registered since 10th Nov 2004Sun 14-Nov-04 06:35 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 0

Fairview Heights, US

As a follow-up to my previous post. www.anandtech.com has come out with a review on Intel's Pentium 4 570J, which includes not only that CPU but other Intel and also AMD CPU's as well.

This review can be found here: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2275&p=8 (I've linked it to page 8, Video Creation/Photo Editing)

Chuck

NZDoug Registered since 03rd Jan 2004Sun 14-Nov-04 07:46 PM
131 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 30

Waitakere City,

Just do it.
Im in the proccess of adding a third Mac to my system.
Ive got an iBook 600mhz 384 ram for location and iTunes,
a 5 year old G-4 400 768? ram 20gig hd which will move to full time scanner DVD burner downstairs.
If I traded in Id get next to nothing.
Ive 2 external drives for swapping , backing up info.
I want to add another Powerbook or maybe G-5 with external screen.
It will be fun to get them all working at once.

check out mywebsite at
http://www.foto.co.nz

Nikon_loony Registered since 15th Jun 2003Sun 14-Nov-04 08:59 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 33

Krefeld, DE

Hi everydody,

on last photokina I asked some Apple-people if photoshop is still be developed for mac and then ported to windows. They told me that they changed the way, which means that it is first developed for pc / win and then ported to mac.

When I compare the prices of a G5 to the price of a good pc including windows xp home-edition, I found out that the pc is more pricy !

When asking mac user, if you should use a mac or a pc for editing photos with photoshop / capture, they will tell you that you should use mac, because apple were the first who had......

O.k., now we have 2004 and the pc has all the features you need, you have used your pc for all your daily work the last 5 or 10 years, why should you change to mac ?

Robert

dfrelich Registered since 28th Jun 2004Sun 14-Nov-04 10:10 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 33

Adamstown, US

I always tease my friend I'm a bi when they ask me what platform I use. I like OS X and I like XP.

To the point... one thing that gets to me the most is how easily XP can be messed up or can be hacked in. I have a brother in law who insists using PC over Mac. Now, I come to their place once every two months to fix their problems. I keep telling them to switch over to Mac because I will not go to their place to fix their computer but to visit.

Ya see, the way I see it for most computer illerate people... if they ask me about what PC or Mac to get... I tell them to get a MAC. My answer is mainly because for those who knows what computer to get they will know what to do with their system. If they dont, Mac is it.

For home, I have G5 Tower running OS X. For work, I have XP with Dell machine. Both have their advantages.

Later,
--Daryl

jschone Registered since 20th Aug 2004Mon 15-Nov-04 03:19 PM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 0

Roma, IT

Dan,

First of all, switching to a Mac is a personal decission and a matter of taste and money. If you need to upgrade your PC because it's really to old and slow, you can make the decission to switch to Mac. If your PC is still good, I would keep your PC untill it's not capable anymore to keep up with the memory and processor demand of new software.

In the meantime you could invest in a very good monitor, one that you can use also after the switch to a new system.
If you are going to by a new system, I would personally not buy a laptop. For photoprocessing and also video (as you said in your other post) the laptop screen is just not good enough (refresh rate, viewing angle).

Jochem

sixgun Registered since 26th May 2004Mon 15-Nov-04 07:53 PM
480 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: Lifelong PC User considering a change to MAC"
In response to Reply # 36

Austin, US

I'd agree. In the past there was a signficant difference between the Mac's and PC's and the software they could run.

Today with XP vs OSX the differences are not as pronouced. I use both Mac's and PC's and for the purposes of processing photo's there really isn't that much of a difference operating system wise unless your doing this (processing graphics) 40+ hours a week. If that is the case you are probably a graphic artist and need to speek to other graphic artists about the specfic implementation of the mac vs PC version of the software since your concerned about automation and efficiency of a task vs just getting the task done.

From a standpoint of stability OSX is more solid though its not what I would consider significant.

From the standpoint of security the macs are way more secure if for no other reason than there are not enough of them out there to warrant attention.

What about software? Do you have mac software already? Is the price of the software an issue? It would be silly to debate spending a couple of hundrend more one way or another if you have to replace a few thousand in software. Is there a mac equivilent for other tasks you need to do?

Software is actually a much bigger issue than the specs of the board itself. I use photoshop CS and Nikon Capture. Both have some common operations (curves, saving a file as a jpg, bringing out shadows etc), both are running on the same machine but there is no contest in speed. Nikon Capture is limping dog slow compared to photoshop but works better for manipulating RAW images in my workflow. So I do most edits in capture and then retouching type jobs in PS.

In terms of RAW processing power (how fast it will do this operation or that) on the high end machines the PC's will edge out the Macs about 2/3 of the time but for all but the speed obsessed the difference is probably not material (10 seconds vs 7 seconds to complete an operation). I run a DP 1.25GHz G4 and with D-70 files in photoshop I seldom spend more than a few seconds waiting on the machine.

If you do video and performance is an issue it might be another matter but your also looking at getting some hot non-stock SCSI or SATA hard drives if your serious about performance.

If you go the mac route get a tower, not an Imac. The diff in the archetecture is significant. Also get the dual processor and load up on RAM. It makes a real difference. Having the dual processors really improves reliability in a major way. Sometimes when a program goes belly up it takes one of the processors with it. With two processors you still have the reasources to kill that proccess, free up your system and start the process back up, all in real time. When you only have one processor it often means pushing the power button.

Also if your like me you have several things running at the same time. I've got those 1.25GHz dual processors and 1.5G of ram. I can be uploading photos to a web site, listening to itunes, importing video into Imovie, rendering a DVD in IDVD, printing out a stack of pictures and scanning film in Nikon Scan and proccessing those scanned images in photoshop all at the same time. Now performance is not brisk but it can do it all and not croak.

overney Registered since 18th Jul 2004Mon 15-Nov-04 07:40 PM
#38. "Moderator: Does this really belong into this forum?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

My two cents:

Yes, please continue your _own_ research regarding this matter.

I think that "MAC vs PC" questions do not belong into this forum. There are many people using PCs and many are using MACs. Most of us can work with both. After all, the SW matters, too.

Gregor

spenny Registered since 26th Oct 2004Tue 16-Nov-04 04:21 PM
326 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#42. "changing from the PC to the Mac"
In response to Reply # 38

NoVa, US

while i have my issues with OSX at work (i'm a graphic designer/production manager who produces a weekly national mag) (issues relating to page layout software, font handling etc, fwiw)
OSX at home is a dream. its the perfect home operating system. apple's digital hub is a great idea. i'm a video idiot, but editing and producing DVDs of my baby daughter for her granparents to see is so simple that anyone could do it within 15 minutes of seeing the machine.

getting back to the 64 bit processor path, photoshop is one of those programs that will take advantage of that path.

at work we have the fastest G5 (dual 2.5 ghz G5 tower) at home i have the slowest G5 (single 1.6 ghz G5 tower) the speed on the 1.6 is still phenominal, flies thru video editing, photo editing in photoshop. any task i ask of it. its great for playing games (when get the rare free minute)

$1300 gets you the 1.6 iMac. its a steal.

lastly: dont worry about learning the new OS you will pick it up really fast, PC users seem to have a real advantage learning the new os. my 65 y.o mom, shitched from the old mac OS, where she was constantly calling me and asking me how to do stuff, to the OSX and hasnt called once since. if she can figure it out, you wont have any trouble.

spencer

-Spenny

overney Registered since 18th Jul 2004Tue 16-Nov-04 05:48 PM
#43. "RE: changing from the PC to the Mac"
In response to Reply # 42

US

Are you sure that you wanted to reply to my post?

There is absolutely no advantage for a PC user to buy a MAC. 64-bit? Well, Adobe works hard on Photoshop for Win64. The system of choice could be http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/intellistation/apro/index.html

It's pricy but, it's great. Anyway, in Q2 of 05, 64-bit PC's with Win64 will be readily available. Until then Adobe will have ported all their SW to this architecture and the prices of 64-bit systems will come down to the sub US$1000 range. To buy a new 64-bit system today is a waste of money. A system for US$900 will do just fine. Wait until Q2 of 05.

Gregor

PS: Actually, www.nikonians.org has a dedicated forum for computer HW and SW.

rleibfreid Registered since 24th Feb 2002Wed 17-Nov-04 06:37 PM
#47. "RE: changing from the PC to the Mac"
In response to Reply # 43

Arlington, US

This is about 9 years old, but remains a compelling argument that we need to look towards improving the human to computer interface.

http://www.acm.org/pubs/cacm/AUG96/antimac.htm

overney Registered since 18th Jul 2004Wed 17-Nov-04 10:33 PM
#48. "RE: changing from the PC to the Mac"
In response to Reply # 47

US

I like the WYSIATI

Gregor

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #131672 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.