Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #121433
View in linear mode

Subject: "Your recommendations requested" Previous topic | Next topic
buzzbeat Registered since 02nd Aug 2004Tue 07-Dec-04 03:24 AM
111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Your recommendations requested"

Cherry Hill, US

I'm looking for a good book on digital photography, somthing that covers Photoshop CS, curves, color, and (if possible) flash techniques.

Went to Borders and was overwhelmed by the number of books so I was hoping you could recommend your favorites.

Best regards,
Don

Don Mennig
http://buzzbeat.buzznet.com

Best regards,
Don

Fine Art Photography by Don Mennig

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Your recommendations requested
dreambig33
07th Dec 2004
dankeny Gold Member
07th Dec 2004
RobtHobbs
07th Dec 2004
buzzbeat
07th Dec 2004
Rogerus
12th Nov 2010
briantilley Moderator
12th Nov 2010
Rogerus
12th Nov 2010

dreambig33 Registered since 20th Oct 2004Tue 07-Dec-04 04:27 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Your recommendations requested"
In response to Reply # 0

Perth, AU

Hi there, I bought a book for Photoshop from Scott kelby called The Photoshop CS book for digtal photographers. It is amazing and I have gone from beginner to being able to fix all sorts of problems. The thing I like is that it is not a Photoshop Text Book, but specifically aimed at US. I like that! And he has a good sense of humour and you can take what you want from each section.

Suggest you grab a copy. Its not going to cover all things digital photography wise, but I can HIGHLY recommend it. He has a web site and you can get it quite easily off the 'Net.

Andrew

dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Tue 07-Dec-04 05:55 AM
1517 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Your recommendations requested"
In response to Reply # 0

Roland, US

, but it is out of print. His Guide to D70 has iTTL information and some basic flash information. www.bythom.com.

David

David

RobtHobbs Registered since 04th Dec 2004Tue 07-Dec-04 06:14 AM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Your recommendations requested"
In response to Reply # 0

Windsor, US

Kelby is a recoginized expert with Photoshop and his book for Digital Photographers is great. If you are looking for more information on PS you might check out www.photoshopvideos.com. They have some excellent training videos. Of course there is always the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) www.photoshopuser.com. Membership is $99 per year and you can get nice discounts on Kelbys books and Videos (Kelby is President of NAPP). They also publish a great bi-monthly magazine. I am an amature and find the discounts and the magazine worth every penny of my membership.

buzzbeat Registered since 02nd Aug 2004Tue 07-Dec-04 11:57 AM
111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Your recommendations requested"
In response to Reply # 3

Cherry Hill, US

Thanks all for your recommendations. It sounds like Kelby's book is the clear winner.

Regards,
Don

Don Mennig
http://buzzbeat.buzznet.com

Best regards,
Don

Fine Art Photography by Don Mennig

Rogerus Registered since 06th Feb 2010Fri 12-Nov-10 05:17 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Your recommendations requested"
In response to Reply # 4

Geraldton, AU

There is an extremely good learning source called "123di" or the 123 of Digital Imaging. I bought this a few days ago.

There is a review of it here:

http://www.humper-t.com/tag/tutorials/

At the end of the first paragraph is a telling sentence: "As well, many of the industry’s top manufacturers such as Intel, Nikon, Epson and others use The 123di Interactive Learning Suite for internal training. High praise indeed."

This is a link to the 123di site:

http://www.123di.com/

You can download a demo from it.

I'm still studying Chapter 1, about light. I can see that if I get my head around it all, post processing will be far simpler than I find it now.

I would usually rather have a book in my hand, however, this program is not "in your face" on the screen, and wherever you decide to close it, it will open there next time you start it up.

You can pay and download it immediately, then receive the cd in the mail later.

I certainly recommend it wholeheartedly.

Hope this helps.

Roger

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 12-Nov-10 08:41 AM
29153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Your recommendations requested"
In response to Reply # 5

Paignton, GB

>Hope this helps.

Maybe not for the original poster, who has let his membership lapse since this thread was started nearly 6 years ago

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Rogerus Registered since 06th Feb 2010Fri 12-Nov-10 10:27 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Your recommendations requested"
In response to Reply # 6

Geraldton, AU

Oops!

Thanks for spotting that. It'll teach me to check the date in future

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #121433 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.