Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #116492
View in linear mode

Subject: "Yep another focus issue" Previous topic | Next topic
acpearlite Registered since 25th Nov 2004Sun 12-Dec-04 01:54 AM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Yep another focus issue"

Toronto, CA

Yep after running around with my D70 I am starting to really believe there is a back focus issue with mine. I tried the "test" but its with my 80-200 f2.8 and since I have to set up the tripod so far from the test paper I can't guarantee at 45 so I don't know if its accurate.

So after taking a few shots with a friends manual 105 Micro Nikkor and looking back at some of the shots I've made with the 80-200 I find my zoom always soft with only sometimes getting a sharp picture (maybe by accident?)

Anyways, other than the D70, are there other stories that some Nikon bodies have trouble with the AF?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Yep another focus issue
stev32k
12th Dec 2004
acpearlite
13th Dec 2004
13th Dec 2004
acpearlite
15th Dec 2004
bew Silver Member
15th Dec 2004
vitaliy
16th Dec 2004
16th Dec 2004
acpearlite
16th Dec 2004

stev32k Registered since 27th Dec 2003Sun 12-Dec-04 02:48 AM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Yep another focus issue"
In response to Reply # 0

Mobile, US

Try a couple of different lenses. If you don't get good, sharp focus on any of them send it to Melville and get it fixed. There has been a lot of focus issues with the D70. The factory service center can correct them - even it it does take two or three trys.

acpearlite Registered since 25th Nov 2004Mon 13-Dec-04 03:40 AM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Yep another focus issue"
In response to Reply # 1

Toronto, CA

Well I also use my Sigma 28-105 lense and it seems to have the same issue. (I think)
So after christmas I guess I'll send the camera away.
Does nikon only fix it in one service centre? There is a Nikon office here Mississauga where I live...

1024 Registered since 23rd Sep 2004Mon 13-Dec-04 03:54 AM
79 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Yep another focus issue"
In response to Reply # 2

United States, US

I recently sent mine off got the same problem...can't wait to get it back. I did not realize how much I shot with that thing until it was gone!
To answer your question, there is an East Coast and West Coast Nikon USA service center. I live smack in the middle, and sent mine to Melville, NY. But before sending it in contact them with the problem here:
support@nikontech.com

Do extensive testing with a tripod before shipping it in to avoid the down time....send them a CD with your test photos and detailed descriptions. I will post when the camera gets back to me, hopefully adjusted and repaired.

acpearlite Registered since 25th Nov 2004Wed 15-Dec-04 04:22 AM
#4. "RE: Yep another focus issue"
In response to Reply # 1

Toronto, CA

I just did a quick test. The results are here...http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/andrew_chan828/album?.dir=/c01c&.src=ph&.tok=phv8mNCBDr7RG4w3

The object was placed on an angle roughly 45 degrees. Taken with the 80 200mm at f4, 1/125, with flash. I focused the centre on the "5"
The first picture was taken with AF on. The second was done using manual focus (me using the focusing ring).

Yes I've done the test the more controled way with the test sheet etc. but I don't have any more pics of that and it takes too long to set up.
This was done quick and dirty, and handheld.

Does this pretty much prove backfocus ?

bew Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2004Wed 15-Dec-04 09:49 AM
1019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Yep another focus issue"
In response to Reply # 0

San Antonio, US

First, I'll assume you've tried the Tim Jackson Focus Test Chart, one of the accepted methods of testing back focus issues (http://md.co.za/d70)

He states, "It's normal, particularly with longer focal lengths, to see the focused area, or depth of field, shifted slightly rearward...".

One of our Nikonians had a simpler method: shooting from a tripod, take a shot of a newspaper taped to the wall, focus manually. WITHOUT RE-FOCUSING, Move the tripod slightly rearward and take another shot, move the tripod forward slightly and another shot. Compare the three.

Bert

vitaliy Registered since 16th Dec 2004Thu 16-Dec-04 06:21 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Yep another focus issue"
In response to Reply # 5

Hi there. The 45 degree angle has nothing to do with trying to establish whether you have back focus. It is relevant for Tim's chart because if you do have backfocus, you will be able to tell by how much. Tim used a 45 angle because it is easier to calculate distances this way. You can use any reasonable angle with the same effect, but you will have to recalculate the distances in order to determine the offset of your focus.

With this in mind, do my version of Tim's test:

1. Get a newspaper put it in a way that the heading is positioned vertically.

2. Select a letter on which you can focus. Remember that letter.

4. Take several shots.

5. Compare the shots.

This test will not tell you if you have a small back focus nor the offset. However, you get the idea. Moving tripod works just as well

1024 Registered since 23rd Sep 2004Thu 16-Dec-04 08:13 PM
79 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Yep another focus issue"
In response to Reply # 0

United States, US

I just got mine back from Nikon Service. It was in their shop exactly one week, and it is now working and focusing beautifully. I did send them the CD with the test, and I believe it helped. See if you can borrow a kit lens or 50mm AF from someone. If you're sure it's backfocus, send it off. They seem to have a pretty good turnaround rate. Don't feel bad, because it took me 6 months of shooting to finally nail down the problem.

Good luck!

acpearlite Registered since 25th Nov 2004Thu 16-Dec-04 11:25 PM
#8. "RE: Yep another focus issue"
In response to Reply # 7

Toronto, CA

Thanks guys. Yeah I was lazy putting it on the tripod. So I just took two shots at the same position and sort did what you were saying about the newspaper. I took and AF shot and a manual focus shot and the MF shot was more sharp.

Yeah, it took me a while to figure out why some of my pictures were not as crisp as when I used film. I just thought it was because I was looking at the picture at 1:1 on a computer screen and a 4x6 or even 8x10 print was not big enough to be able to see the lens capabilities.

Looks like I will be sending the camera back after Xmas.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #116492 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.