Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #111508
View in linear mode

Subject: "70-200 or 80-200" Previous topic | Next topic
Zoomer911 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2004Sun 26-Dec-04 02:53 PM
364 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"70-200 or 80-200"

Champions Gate, US

Ok I have a question $$ aside is it worth getting the 70-200 2.8 vr over the 80- 200 2.8

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

vettelover Registered since 23rd Jun 2004Sun 26-Dec-04 03:01 PM
726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 70-200 or 80-200"
In response to Reply # 0

Orlando, US

Depends on what you shoot. If you want the lens for it's speed, the VR will give you a couple of extra stops handheld. The VR lens also focuses very quickly and has great bokeh. If you always use a tripod, you may as well save your $$.

buzzjoy Registered since 31st Jul 2004Sun 26-Dec-04 03:37 PM
212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 70-200 or 80-200"
In response to Reply # 1

Austin, US

I faced the same decision and went with the VR, and I love it. I took a handheld shot of our cat yesterday morning inside the house at full zoom. It is not just sharp, but the whiskers and eye details stay sharp well beyond 100% viewing, still really good at 400%! This is a new experience for me, since most shots begin to lose definition before I reach 100% and all quickly deteriorate beyond 100%.

The other factor that helped me decide was the issue of will you be satisfied for life without the VR? I decided that if I did go with the 80-200 that I would probably be second guessing myslef for years to come, and would probably end up buying both and selling one later. So I saved the hassle and bought my dream lens right away. If money is no issue, then I can't recommend it more highly.

My only caveat is: this is a BIG HEAVY lens. Right now I am captivated by its new capabilities and will take it everywhere, but it would be a tough companion on a long road trip. It also does not fit in my current bag, so there is another expense coming up. Ah, NAS ...

Have fun, buzz

Trying to learn to click less and see more.

Trying to learn to (click less and) see more

Zoomer911 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2004Sun 26-Dec-04 03:43 PM
364 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 70-200 or 80-200"
In response to Reply # 1

Champions Gate, US

I tend to shoot more freehand than with tripod but I just got a new bogen 3021 for Christmas. Are the lens characteristics / quality different in one compared to the other

pookiejones Registered since 24th Nov 2004Sun 26-Dec-04 07:56 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 70-200 or 80-200"
In response to Reply # 3

I use to use the 80-200 2.8 until it was stolen. I replaced it with the 70-200 VR about a week ago. I think the 70-200 VR focuses much quicker. Physically it is a little longer, which made me rework the dividers in my bag. They are both heavy so I don't know if there is a big difference between them. So far I am thrilled with the 70-200 and think it is well worth the extra money.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #111508 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.