Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #10918
View in linear mode

Subject: "lens not auto focusing - broken%3F" Previous topic | Next topic
helibebcnof Silver Member Nikonian since 26th May 2006Mon 26-Feb-07 05:55 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"lens not auto focusing - broken%3F"

Knoxville, US

My D80 just started acting up - the lens makes funny gear noise and is unable to auto focus on a stationary subject for some reason. I can manual focus fine. I have reset the camera and tried other settings but it still occurs.

Is it the lens or in the camera?

Any help in diagnosing the problem would be helpful. (it is the lens that came with the camera - the 18-135mm lens)

Allan
ajglazer(at)gmail.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: lens not auto focusing - broken%3F
HVAC GUY Silver Member
26th Feb 2007
michaelz
06th Mar 2007
helibebcnof Silver Member
06th Mar 2007
chuckp
06th Mar 2007
tecman Silver Member
08th Mar 2007
chuckp
08th Mar 2007

HVAC GUY Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2006Mon 26-Feb-07 08:32 PM
1203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: lens not auto focusing - broken%3F"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi, That lens is AF-S type so it really sounds like the lens has a mechanical issue. The camera focuses the lens electically. If the lens was silent it could go either way, but if the lens is noisey and not focusing it seems unlikely that it is the cameras fault. Of course if you have a friendly dealer, you could put another AF-S lens on and prove that to be the case.

Barry

If it isn't a Nikon, it's just another camera

michaelz Registered since 06th Mar 2007Tue 06-Mar-07 04:49 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: lens not auto focusing - broken%3F"
In response to Reply # 0

did you figure it out, mine started doing the same thing recently.

i can only get it to take a picture when the zoom is between 18 and 24mm. anything closer it won't lock in.

helibebcnof Silver Member Nikonian since 26th May 2006Tue 06-Mar-07 03:14 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: lens not auto focusing - broken%3F"
In response to Reply # 2

Knoxville, US

I took my camera to a local camera store (Wolf Camera in this case) and explained my problem to the clerk. My camera seems to focus corectly 50% of the time and the lens makes more noise then before. After using it in the store he also agreed that there was something wrong with the lens.

I will be sending the camera back to Nikon USA for repair. Fortunately, I can use the lens from my N80 on the D80 while it is being repaired.

I hope this helps.

If more people are having problems with this defective lens, it could be a real problem for NIkon

chuckp Registered since 08th Nov 2006Tue 06-Mar-07 10:26 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: lens not auto focusing - broken%3F"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I have had this same problem TWICE with an 18-135 on my D80. Ir wouldn't acquire focus under any situation and made a loud whining sound. Other lenses worked just fine under the same focusing conditions. On the first instance I took the camera/lens back to the seller and they replaced the complete kit. The next time it happened was with the new lens/camera about 3 months after purchase, and I sent the lens back to Nikon. It took about 3 weeks from the time I sent it to them to get it back, and the Repair Invoice stated that they replaced the "MR Encoder Unit". Thus far it works fine. Good luck with yours.

Chuck

tecman Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 08-Mar-07 12:01 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: lens not auto focusing - broken%3F"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I had the same exact issue with my 18-135. After 2 months, sent it back to Nikon. 3 weeks later repaired with bad encoder as well.

paul

chuckp Registered since 08th Nov 2006Thu 08-Mar-07 09:57 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: lens not auto focusing - broken%3F"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I am going to be very interested to see how long these repairs to the 18-135 last. For example, are they replacing the defective parts with the same type of parts that may fail again in the future, or ar the replacement parts more durable and free of defects????

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #10918 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.