Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #105814
View in linear mode

Subject: "Will there be an 8 mp DSLR?" Previous topic | Next topic
zoomlens Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Mon 03-Jan-05 10:40 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Will there be an 8 mp DSLR?"

Cobourg, CA

I am the happy owner of a Coolpix 5400.

I am looking to move up to a DSLR (I was a former F80 owner).

I notice the D70 has been on the market for about 9 months now and the Coolpix line has 8 mp cameras.

What is the speculation about Nikon coming out with a new model in the 8 mp range (replacement for D70?)?

________
Rick

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Will there be an 8 mp DSLR?
Rally
03rd Jan 2005
Bobsprit
03rd Jan 2005
BJNicholls Gold Member
04th Jan 2005
simpo two
04th Jan 2005
zoomlens Silver Member
04th Jan 2005
Alex_86
05th Jan 2005
YoungAndDangerous
05th Jan 2005

Rally Registered since 31st Jan 2004Mon 03-Jan-05 11:05 PM
479 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Will there be an 8 mp DSLR?"
In response to Reply # 0

Auckland, NZ

Hi,

Maybe Nikonians needs a new forum "New/Replacement Digital Camera Speculation"

Try here this has been discussed before

http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=3482&forum=DCForumID86

Cheers
Peter

Bobsprit Registered since 13th Dec 2004Mon 03-Jan-05 11:52 PM
324 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Will there be an 8 mp DSLR?"
In response to Reply # 1

Queens, US

If you want to take pictures, don't wait and certainly don't worry about 6 or 8MP. I recently bought a Coolpix 8800. It couldn't focus in poor light, had no manual focus that worked and was a slow performer in every way. Basically it was fancy junk. I returned it and bought a D70. I have never had more fun with a camera! I'm so happy with it that I could easily wait for two more generations before getting a new body to replace it. 8MP just won't make enough difference. Meanwhile, I've started getting some lenses and it's just a lot of fun.
And yes, the D70 takes better pics than the 8800. I have the samples from both. Also of note, most comparisons between the D70 and 8MP canon 20D rate the image quality the same or so close it makes no difference. A 12 or 14MP sensor with a lot less noise would probably get us all to take notice, but that's a ways off.
I think you'll be seeing people shooting with D70s 5 years from now. Smarter shooters will have spent on better glass before upgrading a camera body, as they all did in years past with film.

Best of luck,

Capt RB

Capt. Robert B.
D70, Harbortronics Grip, 70-200VR, 18-200VR, Sigma 30 1.4, Tamron 90 Macro, SB800
Our racer/cruiser...
http://hometown.aol.com/bobsprit/index.html

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberTue 04-Jan-05 07:16 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Will there be an 8 mp DSLR?"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

Any 6 megapixel DSLR will deliver better image quality than the best 8 Mpix digicam. There probably will be an 8 Mpix (or thereabouts) DSLR from Nikon announced next month, but it's more likely to be a D100 replacement.

Megapixels aren't everthing. Better, bigger sensors in DSLRs offer much lower noise so that detail isn't lost to agressive noise reduction.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

simpo two Registered since 17th Aug 2004Tue 04-Jan-05 08:23 PM
2103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Will there be an 8 mp DSLR?"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Time to wheel out Mr Rockwell again

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

John
www.blokewithacamera.co.uk

zoomlens Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Tue 04-Jan-05 10:36 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Will there be an 8 mp DSLR?"
In response to Reply # 4

Cobourg, CA

Thanks to all for your advice.

_______
Rick

Alex_86 Registered since 19th Aug 2003Wed 05-Jan-05 01:06 AM
1431 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Will there be an 8 mp DSLR?"
In response to Reply # 5

CA

Yes there will be an 8mp DSLR (might I dare say with in the year?) although it will not be a D70 replacement. That D100 is looking mighty old

Happy Shooting,
Alex

Alex Ratson
www.alexratsonphotography.com

YoungAndDangerous Registered since 11th Sep 2004Wed 05-Jan-05 02:09 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Will there be an 8 mp DSLR?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sydney, AU

I just got my second/backup D70, while I'll wait for the D100 replacement. I got my first D70 within days of it was released, and I'm still impressed with it now, compared to the other models. It has features that far exceed the D100 and even the newer Canon 20D. Which I was tossing as alternative, but I can't just resist on the image quality the D70 produces, and the lower prices. The 8MP makes no difference between the 6MP, so if that's you concern I think that's the least of your worries.

YaD

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #105814 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.