Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

bad packaging by Nikon

Carmen Tulum Carmen Tulum

Is from: Toronto, CA
43 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Carmen Tulum Registered since 09th Nov 2012
Tue 27-Nov-12 07:53 AM
I have received so much help and ideas so far from this forum. Thank you. Yesterday, I received my D800 back from Nikon after being sent in for the focus problem and an exposure problem. There was a dent in the box , although not a big one...but I was h horrified when I opened the box and saw how it was packaged - I have received memory cards, lens caps, door handles over the mail that was better packaged than my camera. It was supported by 3 fumbled sleets of fish & chips wrapping paper and around the camera was a single layer of bubble wrap, popped over about 30% of the bubble wrap. On the underside, there was no fish& chips paper, only totally popped bubble wrap, wrapped around the camera with elastic. Clearly Nikon had no respect for my camera.
I took pictures and called customer service who wants me to send the camera back to them to check if its damaged.

Now, my concern is that the camera is damaged in a minor way, or that it will come out later (like a cup that drops, gets a small crack that does not show, but when I pick it up a week or a month later, it falls apart) and that Nikon says its OK while it is in fact damaged in a way that will show up later.

I'm not a very assertive person and am unsure as to what my rights are and how to go about handling this problem. To me, it just sounds totally wrong. (by the way -there still are some issues with the camera's focus, I am testing it today, also in the Live view mode . In addition to this the close up button on the back is now so warn out that it squeaks . The multi selector also feels as if its got some extra play on it - but all this is probably a separate issue to the poor packaging one )

G