New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Help me technicians!

Tue 09-Feb-10 01:33 AM
Hi all!

I am new to this forum, but have been using a D40x for ages and desperately need some technical help.

I had the unfortunate incident of having some salty sea spray on the camera a few days ago when I was on holiday. I was concentrating on a shot when a larger than usual wave splashed me at the beach! the spray was not so bad, but some salt water was on the view finder and back button of the camera.

I did everything I could to reduce damage, blow drying, sun drying etc.

As soon as the splash occured, I noticed that the ViewFinder display LEDs were malfunctioning. While I could still read some info, the LED segments which should not be lit up are also dimly lit up. I know that salt spray had entered the pcb or LED driver circuit or viewfinder display.

EVERYTHING else in the camera works perfectly. Only the display in the viewfinder needs fixing.

I got the camera serviced by a Nikon agent, and they said they cleaned it but that I have to replace the PCB to fix my problem! Which costs more than the camera is worth BTW.

I am 80% convinced that the problem can be fixed if I simply remove all viewfinder display cables and circuits and clean them myself. I am an engineer! I take apart anything. I just need some guidance. Please help me with info on which areas of the camera I should look at dismantling / cleaning and how I go about dismantling it please. Ofcourse I'm not going to hold anyone responsible, I know its at my own risk.

I just don't want to put the camera away, I would rather have a shot at reparing it.

G