Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS I Want to Sell topic #53817
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question: Selling gear using Paypal" Previous topic | Next topic
fcrtoby Registered since 22nd Mar 2006Sat 27-Sep-08 08:52 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question: Selling gear using Paypal"

Ottawa, CA

Hi Everyone,

I just join the Nikonians community as a silver member and would like to get some opinions from other Nikonians members. I have some Nikon gear I would like to sell. Before I start listing them, I notice many members have a Paypal account? Is this a good thing to have... if so, what are the main benefits? Can you sell your gear without a Paypal account? In the past, I sold my photo equipment locally. In other words, face to face transactions.

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Ken

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Question: Selling gear using Paypal
jwhite3
27th Sep 2008
jwhite3
27th Sep 2008
mstenj Silver Member
27th Sep 2008
Sportymonk
30th Sep 2008
famousperson Silver Member
27th Sep 2008
Nikon32250 Silver Member
28th Sep 2008
yourspecialgrandpa
29th Sep 2008
Nikon32250 Silver Member
30th Sep 2008
timberline12k
30th Sep 2008
Shakenbake
30th Sep 2008
bellnier Silver Member
30th Dec 2008
yo_andrew Silver Member
30th Sep 2008
fcrtoby
12th Oct 2008
exfebee
31st Dec 2008
Ferguson Silver Member
31st Dec 2008
famousperson Silver Member
31st Dec 2008
Tom Gresham
31st Dec 2008
Max Power
01st Jan 2009
Nikon32250 Silver Member
01st Jan 2009

jwhite3 Registered since 26th Nov 2007Sat 27-Sep-08 09:05 PM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question: Selling gear using Paypal"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

Most people have Paypal accounts because at one point or another it is the best way to do business on Ebay. In my past experience as a seller and buyer it has been easier to get a deal done using Paypal from people on forums. Reason being that there is a little extra security for parties in that a paypal transaction can be overturned in the case of fraud (not super easy but something).

Maybe even more important, sometimes a good deal comes up and one doesn't have the money and likely such a good deal doesn't come around for a while. You can have a credit card and bank account associated with the Paypal account. So if you don't quite have all of the cash in your bank account you can use your credit card. Pay off your CC at your schedule.

Maybe 2nd most important to me, SPEED. The buyer doesn't have to wait until the check arrives, clears, and then ship. That can add another week and if you need something right away Paypal transaction can be instantaneous.

There are other options as well such as Google Checkout and COD via major carriers. But after doing hundreds of paypal transactions there have been no issues for me. Keep your account info to yourself and generate a good password. Ship to Paypal verified addresses so that if something happens you can direct the police to an address.

jwhite3 Registered since 26th Nov 2007Sat 27-Sep-08 09:10 PM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question: Selling gear using Paypal"
In response to Reply # 1

Seattle, US

Yes, you can sell your gear without paypal account. Try that first and see what the response is. Cash is king. As a seller make sure you post pics as well. That helps if one doesn't have the past history of selling on the board.

mstenj Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Dec 2007Sat 27-Sep-08 09:10 PM
362 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question: Selling gear using Paypal"
In response to Reply # 0

Miramar, US

You could handle payments any way you wanted - money order, bank check, wire, etc. A "verified PayPal" account is tied to a checking account (although you can still pay through a charge card). That gives the other party some assurance that you "exist". It is not infallible. I have dealt mostly with folks with verified accounts, but I have also run my purchases through some folks business charge accounts. It ultimately comes down to some common sense in the transaction - I tend to do a little research before I deal with someone. That said, I wouldn't have a problem sending cash to Valentino, for instance. He lives on this website , to the community's great benefit. Now on the other end of that, I saw a lens listed a little while back. It was a big lens and big bucks, the listing was by a really new member with no posts. I think they had a harder time selling because of that. While PayPal has some limited (some will say very limited) transactional security and recourse, I like the account system. I sell things and keep my photo money there, separate from my living money (don't tell my wife). Long answer short - No, you don't need a PayPal. Welcome to Nikonians, I hope you enjoy the site as much as I do.

Mark

Sportymonk Registered since 16th Jul 2007Tue 30-Sep-08 07:05 PM
814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Question: Selling gear using Paypal"
In response to Reply # 2

Rocky Mount, US

>You could handle payments any way you wanted - money order,
>bank check, wire, etc. A "verified PayPal" account
>is tied to a checking account (although you can still pay
>through a charge card).

I have a PayPal account with a credit card as the funding source. When I tried to buy my D300 it would not allow me even though my credit line was fine. They wouldn't accept my funding source, they said it had to be dither my checking aqccount or a PayPal card. When I asked wasn't a Paypal Visa the same as my Visa, they said no, it was a different funding source. So I linked to my checking account but then they WOULD NOT LET ME USE THE CREDIT CARD. Per this link

https://www.paypal.com/helpcenter/main.jsp;jsessionid=Lv2N93wxyrCm8y2gQytmT8TL3Vhx9V8f8w62snsQ1wy6zPVpmG5W!327271136?t=solutionTab&ft=homeTab&ps=&target=_parent&solutionId=27692&locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&countrycode=US&cmd=_help&serverInstance=9004

It shows that the order of payment is

A PayPal's default preferences for recurring payments are:

* PayPal balance
* Primary bank account
* A registered credit card

So it is either your Paypal card or your checking account or lastly the other credit card if they will let you use it. (Nobody could ever explain why they would not accept the card. They said it had nothing to do with my limit or my credit but it was a "security thing". I suspect they just want you to use thier credit card instead.

Nikonians is the Smithsonian of Nikon knowledge. If there is a question they can't answer, I want to see the question.

My Gallery: www.HLDPhotos.com
My Blog : www.HLDPhotos.blogspot.com

famousperson Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2007Sat 27-Sep-08 11:40 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Question: Selling gear using Paypal"
In response to Reply # 0

Pittsburgh, US

I ONLY buy from eBay vendors that take PayPal. Waiting for a check to clear takes too long and money orders are a huge pain to get. I sold one camera on Nikonians and PayPal made the transaction a joy.

WARNING: PayPal takes a cut from the seller, I'm not sure what percentage.

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Sun 28-Sep-08 12:02 AM
3532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Question: Selling gear using Paypal"
In response to Reply # 4

St. Augustine, US

I would also suggest that you read the "Failure to Deliver" thread at the beginning of this forum. It is very instructive. Even though you may thinking of just selling right now I can almost guarantee you that sooner or later you will want to buy some gear from another Nikonian.

One way of helping to keep your PayPal (and eBay) account safe is by using a "security token". This is a little key fob gadget that generates random numbers. You can request it from PayPal when you sign up. Each time you want to access your PayPal account you key in your User ID and then you key in a new password each time using your "security token". This makes it practically impossible for a hacker to get into either your PayPal or eBay account. I did it after I was notified that I was the winning bidder on an eBay item costing thousands of $. I had no knowledge of the transaction. Since getting the token I have had no problems.

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

<http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

yourspecialgrandpa Registered since 30th Nov 2007Mon 29-Sep-08 11:43 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Question: Selling gear using Paypal"
In response to Reply # 5

battle creek, US

hi. i too would like to sell items but don't know how to do paypal. it is much easier to keep buying lenses cause all you have to do is send payment. this is my first posting so don't yell. thanks, george

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Tue 30-Sep-08 12:02 AM
3532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Question: Selling gear using Paypal"
In response to Reply # 6

St. Augustine, US

George

If you want to send or receive money using PayPal all you have to do is go their website and it will tell you. It's really very easy.

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

timberline12k Registered since 10th Sep 2008Tue 30-Sep-08 05:43 PM
490 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Question: Selling gear using Paypal"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue 30-Sep-08 05:47 PM by timberline12k

Kansas City, US

I am a new member that recently listed several items on this forum. I was unfamiliar with the process, but required payment through PayPal since I have sold a few items (less than 10) on eBay.

As an example, I am selling 2 Vivitar lenses only on this forum. I have a buyer that sent money to my Paypal account, but it is not expected to clear for a couple days. I am not quite sure why the payment was not immediate, but the buyer was ok to wait until after the payment clears before I ship. I did ask for eBay or nikonian IDs to check there history. They did not provide a nikonian ID but their Ebay history looked ok. I don't think the individual is a nikonian, but they obviously saw the lens on this forum. Ebay only provides limited history on a prospective buyer, if they do not recognize a recent bid or transaction between the seller and buyer.

I listed a D300 and 18-200 lens separatly on both nikonians and eBay. One of the purchasers on eBay came through nikonians.

Last spring when I purchased my D300, I traded in a FA w/motor, 16mm and 300mm for my new D300. I would have probably received a higher price had I known abount nikonians.

After this flurry of transactions and selling my last excess item (Vivitar 28-90mm), I do not plan to trade any equipment for quite some time. It has been a good experience so far.

Shakenbake Registered since 22nd Nov 2007Tue 30-Sep-08 11:40 PM
1068 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Question: Selling gear using Paypal"
In response to Reply # 8

Brevard, US

>I am a new member that recently listed several items on this
>forum. I was unfamiliar with the process, but required
>payment through PayPal since I have sold a few items (less
>than 10) on eBay.
>
>As an example, I am selling 2 Vivitar lenses only on this
>forum. I have a buyer that sent money to my Paypal account,
>but it is not expected to clear for a couple days. I am not
>quite sure why the payment was not immediate, but the buyer
>was ok to wait until after the payment clears before I ship.
>

That was an echeck which normally takes 3 days to clear. An echeck also saves the seller the added fees that Pay Pal charges for an instant transaction. I believe it is a flat fee of $5.00 whereas the instant transaction takes a percent of the sales price and some unknown freaky formulas similar to selling an item on ebay (which owns Pay Pal).

Good luck.

A Bike can save your life!
www.pixeljuicephotos.com

My Nikonians gallery

bellnier Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jul 2006Tue 30-Dec-08 06:06 PM
1665 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Question: Selling gear using Paypal"
In response to Reply # 7

Buffalo, US

I've glanced at the PayPal sight, w/o really studying it, since I'd like to sell my D80+grip. I don't see how it is "really very easy". For example, when I click on 'how to receive payments' they only talk about Ebay payments. How does one receive payments when you sell an item through Nikonians?

yo_andrew Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2006Tue 30-Sep-08 11:12 PM
3204 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Question: Selling gear using Paypal"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 30-Sep-08 11:15 PM by yo_andrew

marina del rey, US

>Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Yo Ken,

since you put it that way...

Welcome to Nikonians. We appreciate your $25.

May we understand that you are selling-off your Nikon gear? Perhaps you have switched to another brand, or have decided to do something else. Either way, with no history (only 1 post @ this time) here, you can expect some resistance to purchase, except at discount, Paypal or not.

best, andy

"THERE'S MORE TO OPTICS THAN MEETS THE EYE"
Not till we have lost the world do we begin to find ourselves

fcrtoby Registered since 22nd Mar 2006Sun 12-Oct-08 07:57 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Question: Selling gear using Paypal"
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

Hi,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their recommendations.

Ken,

exfebee Basic MemberWed 31-Dec-08 12:36 AM
397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Question: Selling gear using Paypal"
In response to Reply # 12
Wed 31-Dec-08 12:39 AM by exfebee

Lake City, US

Ken/George/Etc....... Paypal is an excellent way to pay for items & also to receive payments to you. Set up your Paypal account showing your Bank Checking account as primary and a Visa/Master/etc Credit Card as secondary. A lot of us carry a Balance in our Paypal account which we draw from when we buy something. If you don't have enough funds in the Paypal account then Paypal debits the funds from your "linked" bank account. It is immediate. If you sell something then as the "receiver" of the money Paypal takes out an "Administrative Fee" which they use to run Paypal. The fee is on the average of .03 percent of the selling price.. When you get a lot of money in your Paypal account then you can "Transfer" whatever amount over to your Bank Checking Account. at no charge. The transfer takes about 3-5 Banking Days to show up in your Bank Account.
Good luck & Welcome to the Nikonian - Happy New Year From Sunny Florida..

Carl

exfebee

Ferguson Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004Wed 31-Dec-08 01:55 PM
3513 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Question: Selling gear using Paypal"
In response to Reply # 0

Cape Coral, US

I've avoided paypal for years because of the rather serious restrictions on user rights they place, and the banking link. The last thing I want is a company who has a reputation for not giving very personal service to be able to directly access a bank account.

What do people do about that? Just trust them?

Do you set up a separate checking account with minimal funds for paypal linkage?

Interesting reading (with the usual caveat to not believe everything you read on the internet -- I have no personal knowledge of what these report)

http://www.nopaypal.com
http://www.paypalwarning.com

I take such sites with a grain of salt -- almost any big company ends up with a contra web site eventually. But they really do have some pretty scary terms if you read what they CAN do to you and your account.

I read here lots of happy users. I suspect most are or they wouldn't be in business. I'm just a bit paranoid about the onerous terms.

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://linwoodferguson.smugmug.com

famousperson Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2007Wed 31-Dec-08 02:41 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Question: Selling gear using Paypal"
In response to Reply # 15

Pittsburgh, US

>I read here lots of happy users. I suspect most are or they
>wouldn't be in business. I'm just a bit paranoid about the
>onerous terms.

Ferguson,

Thank you very much for the links. What I know about PayPal are two things: 1) The terms are scary and no sane person would subject themselves to them. 2) I have been using PayPal as a buyer for years without a single problem.

How do I reconcile the two? I live in never-never land. I pretend that nothing bad is going to happen that I have to try to straighten out, just like I believe when I buy a $1500 computer on eBay. I've been ripped off by sellers but never by PayPal. In fact, PayPal has been able to recover a (small) percentage of my loses (~$3000) due to dishonest eBay sellers. Their dispute process is easy to use.

Having said that, though, since I sometimes have large amounts of cash in my regular checking account, prudence dictates that I have a special account just for PayPal. I see nothing to stop PayPal, to say nothing of someone who hacks my PayPal account, from draining it.

The safest thing, though, is to pay with a credit card through PayPal. You don't need a PayPal card to do that. They may SAY that you can't dispute a charge, but of course you can. If that happens and they freeze or restrict your PayPal account, so what? You are no worse off than if you had never used them. Just make sure you don't have a credit on their books.

When I first started with eBay I used USPS or bank money orders. Safe, but what a pain! PayPal is painless. Too painless, in fact. I think I buy more stuff because of the convenience.

My one selling experience was excellent. I sold a camera here using PayPal. What a joy for both me and the buyer. No waiting for checks or money orders in the mail, no waiting for checks to clear, just--BOOM--transaction over, everybody happy. It was almost worth the not insignificant fee. In the future I will price things so the fee is taken into account. Or I've seen other people do this by saying "I will take PayPal if you pay the fee."

If you are paranoid (or some would say merely prudent), you would never transact any business over the internet, and some people don't. If you are not paranoid enough you can get taken big time (e.g., Nigerian money scam). I am somewhere in the middle.

Anyway, just my thoughts, for what they are worth.

Peter

Tom Gresham Registered since 08th Dec 2005Wed 31-Dec-08 11:21 PM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Question: Selling gear using Paypal"
In response to Reply # 16

US

I really hate having to use Paypal, but the reality is that it's necessary.

Over the last couple of months I've gone off the deep end as I re-entered the still photography world after a layoff of about 10 years (lots of photography the 30 years before that).

To go with the D700 I bought, I have purchased from fellow Nikonians: 70-200 f/2.8 VR, 16mm fisheye, 135mm f/2 DC, 70-180mm Micro, SU-800, 300mm f/4.

No problems at all buying from folks here. Having Paypal made it easy to respond quickly.

Max Power Registered since 13th Jan 2006Thu 01-Jan-09 02:14 PM
434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Question: Selling gear using Paypal"
In response to Reply # 17

St. Paul, US

I use it because it is so darn convenient. I almost always use a credit card as a funding source, as their dispute service is far from stellar. A good CC will reverse the charges in a second.

In regards to the poster above where their regular card was refused, I think it may tie in to a promotional offer or something like the Ritz deal on the D700s recently. Paypal doesn't make much money of you use your own CC as a funding source, so they do what they can to talk you out of it.

Mine has never been refused for regular transactions though.

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Thu 01-Jan-09 02:37 PM
#19. "RE: Question: Selling gear using Paypal"
In response to Reply # 18

St. Augustine, US

One thing that I did to make using PayPal safer was by getting a Random Number Generator through eBay/PayPal. It's called a Security Key. More information can be found here:

<http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/security_key.html>.

This can be used to access both PayPal and eBay. I got one after someone contacted me on eBay about a bulldozer that I supposedly had listed! Someone had used my User ID to list the 'dozer. I contacted eBay, they removed the listing, and then suggested that I get this Security Key. I have never had a problem since then with someone trying to hijack my User ID.

The way it works is that you log on as usual and put in your normal password. Then you have to also enter the randomly generated number that is on the LCD display of your Security Key. Works like a charm.

Graham

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS I Want to Sell topic #53817 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.