Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS I Want to Sell topic #44020
View in linear mode

Subject: "** General Sales Question - Digital Body Concern **" Previous topic | Next topic
The Long Ranger Registered since 25th Aug 2007Sat 29-Mar-08 11:15 PM
301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"** General Sales Question - Digital Body Concern **"

US

Hi Gang...

I was just wondering, when it comes to determining the number of shutter actuations on a digital body, just how reliable and accurate have you found software like Opanda IEXIF v2.3 to be?

Are the results dependable, trustworthy and accurate?

For example, I was recently contemplating the purchase of a D2Xs. The seller came to my home and as I was looking the body over, he mentioned it only had 5,540 clicks on it. In view of the price, that was music to my ears, and I asked him if he was sure. He claimed that 5,540 was, in fact, THE number.

So, I mounted a lens (an 18-200 AF-S VR)...snapped off a quick shot...pulled the card...downloaded the image and then opened it in the Opanda version mentioned above. The result: 15,779 clicks! Over 10,000 MORE than he'd just claimed.

Needless to say, I was stunned...he was mortified...and he couldn't have gotten out of here any faster than he did...

So, now I'm wondering? Could Opanda have been wrong? What do you think? "Inquiring minds want to know."

Many thanks, in advance, for sharing any thoughts...

Dick
The Long Ranger

"There are none so blind as those who would not see..."

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: ** General Sales Question - Digital Body Concern **
Slohand1 Silver Member
29th Mar 2008
kwb49 Silver Member
30th Mar 2008
timkoo
30th Mar 2008
kennyg92 Silver Member
30th Mar 2008
Reply message Does it matter?
delaneyb Silver Member
30th Mar 2008
Reply message MAC actuation count ?
nvrupnvrin Silver Member
30th Mar 2008
Reply message RE: MAC actuation count ?
RavenDog Silver Member
27th Apr 2009
     Reply message RE: MAC actuation count ?
ctadin Silver Member
29th Apr 2009
pete777
27th Apr 2009
yelcab
27th Apr 2009
kalex
27th Apr 2009
winthrop Silver Member
29th Apr 2009
vario
29th Apr 2009
whatahobby
28th Apr 2009
balzanto Silver Member
30th Apr 2009
ctadin Silver Member
01st May 2009

Slohand1 Silver Member Charter MemberSat 29-Mar-08 11:58 PM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ** General Sales Question - Digital Body Concern **"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

Dick:

I have never used Opanda but I have used Photoshop CS3 to determine the number of clicks. I seriously doubt that the seller expected you to perform such an action-needless to say, I bet he was "mortified".

Sounds like to me the seller was attempting to pull the wool over your eyes. As far as Opanda being wrong-can't say for certain-but can say that the seller was wrong as were his actions.

Marty

kwb49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Dec 2007Sun 30-Mar-08 12:02 AM
1454 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ** General Sales Question - Digital Body Concern **"
In response to Reply # 0

East Liverpool, Ohio, US

Dick.... I don't know about Opanda, but I do use IrfanView and it has been right on with my own cameras. I have kept pretty close tabs on the shots I have taken with both my D70 and my D40 and they match what I THINK I have taken very close. I do mostly sports and I know how many shots I take on average for each event and it has always been right on. I have checked it against what I have uploaded for the week and it has always been on.

Keith

timkoo Registered since 09th Oct 2007Sun 30-Mar-08 01:14 AM
149 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: ** General Sales Question - Digital Body Concern **"
In response to Reply # 2

Urbana, US

For me, Opanda has been nothing but reliable.

For the sellers sake, I think he may have assumed the 'file number' was the only was of telling shutter clicks and maybe your picture was DSC_5440.jpg or something along those lines.

The count only goes up to 9999 then resets to 0 so it'd make sense if he shot 2000 shots, reset counter, and then shot again.

D200 w/ MB-D200 | D80 w/ MB-D80 | 10.5 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8D | 17-50 f/2.8 | 85 f/1.4D | 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S | SB-800 | 3x SB-600 w/ LSII
www.timkoo.smugmug.com

kennyg92 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th May 2006Sun 30-Mar-08 04:50 AM
250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: ** General Sales Question - Digital Body Concern **"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

Opanda, or any other EXIF-reading application is only reading the encoded information that the camera includes in the photo EXIF region. That is an international standard. Opanda could not be "faulty", nor could any other software that is programmed to read those standards.

That would be like saying that your computer's operating system isn't reading the correct available hard disk space on your system. If it subscribes to the EIDE or SCSI, or other hard disk standards, than there couldn't possibly be any misrepresentation.

It's only reading information, not creating it.

I agree with the others. Your "seller" either didn't know or was pulling a fast one.

-Ken

delaneyb Silver Member Charter MemberSun 30-Mar-08 09:12 AM
971 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "Does it matter?"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 30-Mar-08 09:12 AM by delaneyb

London UK, GB

5,000 or 15,000?? Its still 'low'

Brendan
Nikonian in London (Tower Bridge area) UK

Brendan Delaney Photography

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nvrupnvrin Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2007Sun 30-Mar-08 11:01 AM
274 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "MAC actuation count ?"
In response to Reply # 0

NE, US

Does anyone use a program that would be compatible and accurate with "Mac" ?
thanks

RavenDog Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2009Mon 27-Apr-09 08:29 PM
154 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: MAC actuation count ?"
In response to Reply # 6

Jeannette, US

>Does anyone use a program that would be compatible and
>accurate with "Mac" ?
>

Almost every Mac comes with Graphic Converter already installed, free. Find it in your Applications folder. Open an image and click the EXIF tab. It's in the listing! On a Mac this is a one-click deal: just drag the file onto the finder, and while your mouse is down, find Graphic Converter, drop the file on the application and it opens right up.

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Wed 29-Apr-09 09:29 PM
970 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: MAC actuation count ?"
In response to Reply # 7

St Louis, US

I have a Mac with operating system, Leopard, 10.5.6. Unfortunately, I don't have graphic converter on my computer. But, thanks for the info. I'll try going online to see if I can find the application.

Cheryl

pete777 Registered since 11th Apr 2004Mon 27-Apr-09 09:15 PM
280 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: ** General Sales Question - Digital Body Concern **"
In response to Reply # 0

Orlando, US

Well, after shooting off around 1,000 images since I bought my used D200 (in VERY good shape) I went into CS3 and found where the count is stored and noticed that I have around 18,400 clicks on it (which means it had 17K plus when I bought it). The seller made no claims as to its mileage. Only that it was his back up body and was in excellent condition (which it is).

I understand that the D200 / D2x are rated at over 150,000 clicks. If this is true, I would say enjoy your camera. Use it in good health and deal with the repairs if/when they are needed. That's how I plan to go with it.

PS, my Jeep Grand Cherokee has over 225,000 miles on it and runs awesome! So it will be with my camera

Enjoy!!!!

Pete - Floridian Nikonian
D200/MB-D200 | 18-200 VR | 70-300 VR

My Gallery

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Mon 27-Apr-09 09:17 PM
911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: ** General Sales Question - Digital Body Concern **"
In response to Reply # 8

San carlos, US

For a shutter rated at 100K, 15,000 is still very young. Unless it is 50,000 or more, I personally would not worry too much. I would use it as negotiating points, but I would still buy it worry free.

kalex Registered since 11th Dec 2006Mon 27-Apr-09 10:44 PM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: ** General Sales Question - Digital Body Concern **"
In response to Reply # 9

US

5k or 15k on these shutters is low. these are built like tanks and can easily go over 100k

winthrop Silver Member Charter MemberWed 29-Apr-09 12:09 AM
278 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: ** General Sales Question - Digital Body Concern **"
In response to Reply # 8

Thousand Oaks, US

Can one of you tell me where you find the shutter count in CS3?

vario Registered since 27th Jan 2009Wed 29-Apr-09 12:12 AM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: ** General Sales Question - Digital Body Concern **"
In response to Reply # 12

US

And depending on the price the seller wanted, under 16K clicks for that camera is nothing. I think i would have used that to lower the price while he was there. Hold his feet to the fire.

whatahobby Registered since 26th Jun 2008Tue 28-Apr-09 01:07 AM
460 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: ** General Sales Question - Digital Body Concern **"
In response to Reply # 0

Dayton, US

Opanda has always been correct for me. I understand how you probably feel. Even thoe 15,000 is low for shutter count it is not what it was proposed at being from your seller. Did the seller know? Maybe, maybe not. By running fast from the scene says it all to me. I , probably like you, just want the truth so I can decide if I want to buy. In terms of buying a used camera thoe if one has had it in to Nikon it could have been reset by them (Tech Guy's) and that would also if I'm not mistaken reset the actual shutter count. In other words, with a used camera you just have to take the sellers word for it. I agree with all that say it is low and not a big deal from a used standpoint, but I certainly would not have liked being lied to about it. Good luck and enjoy a great body for sure.
Happy Shooting,
Jeff

balzanto Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Dec 2005Thu 30-Apr-09 09:13 PM
118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: ** General Sales Question - Digital Body Concern **"
In response to Reply # 11

Tinley Park, US

On a Mac running Leapord, the shutter count is available when the image is viewed using Preview. Click on Tools and select Inspector. Then click on the icon that looks like an exclamation point in a bubble < ! >. If you have a Nikon tab, you'll see the shutter count in there. It's also in the EXIF tab listed as Image Number.

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Fri 01-May-09 08:41 PM
970 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: ** General Sales Question - Digital Body Concern **"
In response to Reply # 15

St Louis, US

Thanks for the useful information. I followed your detailed instructions and found the number of my shutter actuations for my D700 camera.

Cheryl

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS I Want to Sell topic #44020 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.