Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS I Want to Sell topic #111898
View in linear mode

Subject: "FS Nikon AFS 300mm f2.8G VR I" - SOLD Previous topic | Next topic
westcoast Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jan 2007Sun 14-Jul-13 10:44 PM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"FS Nikon AFS 300mm f2.8G VR I"
Sun 28-Jul-13 02:42 PM by westcoast

California, US

The AFS 300 f2.8G VR is one of Nikon's best primes in terms of speed, build quality and handling. I purchased this lens used from a fellow Nikonian and FM member in 2012; the lens was listed in excellent 9+ condition with a couple of minor wear marks.

The glass is pristine inside and out, no visible dust, the focus ring is smooth, and all the buttons look and work as if new. Mechanically the lens is perfect, if not for the cosmetic marks present when I purchased the lens it would be in absolute mint condition. It is in better shape now then when I received it, and have always had a lens coat cover installed to prevent any new marks. The lens had been used about a dozen times to shoot my own son's events, he is no longer competing, and I am not shooting much - hence the lens is for sale.

Asking: $4150 for a lens with the extras described below:

Only the items listed below are included with Lens:
Kirk LP-47 Foot (works in a RSS ball head clamp)
Lens coat cover (black)
Factory Foot
Nikon 52mm NC Filter
Rear Lens Cap
Nikon HK-30 Hood
Nikon Soft Front Lens Cover
Nikon CL-L1 Soft Case
Factory Manual
Warranty Paper Work

The lens was sent to Nikon in April 2012 for a check and clean, in addition the lens also made a second trip to El Segundo at the end of April 2012 for the VR module. Nikon did me a favor and decided to replace the complete VR mechanism with a new module at no cost. The VR mechanism can be a weak point on older lenses, this lens does not have that concern. Nikon also checked the focusing mechanism and auto focus as part of the repair. I have a copy of the second service by Nikon and can send it to a serious buyer upon request for validation.

The new VR module is fantastic, it's much quieter, and really stabilizes the image in the view finder. It behaves more like the way my 200-400 VR worked and I suspect similar to the VR II version of this lens. I have had absolutely no issues with this lens since the Nikon repair listed above. I find the IQ outstanding having used it with a D700, D7000 and an older D300 body. I had the three pre-existing cosmetic marks touched up a bit so they no longer standout as shown in the cropped photos of the lens (mark_01-03).

http://www.esp-sportsphotos.com/docs/lens/

Note: I will not separate out the items above, the TC's and other extras shown in some photo's are not included. This is a professional lens that weights over 6 lbs; please understand what you are purchasing. I am a long time member of the Nikonian forum with many successful transactions. The item has been accurately described and 12 photos are included on my web site that depicts the lens. As a private seller, I cannot afford returns, so please ask all your questions before the sale so that everything is clear up front.

FedEx Ground shipping CONUS with full insurance is included; the buyer will need to pay the difference if another shipping method is desired. PayPal is the only method that I will accept for out of town buyers. If you are local to SO CAL, you can arrange to inspect the items for sale, and I will accept cash. An adult signature will be required at time of delivery, and the shipping address should match your PayPal account.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic

westcoast Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jan 2007Thu 18-Jul-13 07:14 PM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: FS Nikon AFS 300mm f2.8G VR I"
In response to Reply # 0

California, US

I just wanted to add that optically and coating wise there is no difference between the VRI and VRII versions. Also the cost of the check, clean and lube was over $400 dollars. The cost to have a VR module replaced is about $450 dollars. The lens was completely inspected by Nikon during the VR repair. It's about as close to refurbished as your going to get with a used lens.

westcoast Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jan 2007Sun 21-Jul-13 01:59 PM
#2. "Reduced Price"
In response to Reply # 1

California, US

Comments indicate I should bring the price down just a little. So I will reduce my asking price to $3950 USD. That's a two hundred dollar drop for a lens that's perfect optically and mechanically with nice extras. Please keep in mind that shipping (CONUS) and PayPal fees are included which come to about a $225 dollar expense. Thank you for looking!

westcoast Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jan 2007Sun 28-Jul-13 02:41 PM
#3. "RE: Resubmit"
In response to Reply # 2

California, US

Since the ad doesn't allow changes and cannot be removed, I am going to mark this as sold. The item has not yet been sold, but I will resubmit the original ad with some minor changes and a lower price.

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS I Want to Sell topic #111898 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.