Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS I Want to Sell topic #109465
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question about how to best make trades" Previous topic | Next topic
mikesc Registered since 22nd Jun 2007Tue 26-Feb-13 01:13 AM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question about how to best make trades"

York, US

I read the "I want to sell" forum rules and I did a search but did not see an answer to my question.

How do most handle the trading of gear, particularly higher priced items, in regards to who sends/receives first, etc.? I am considering offering a body for sale or trade, but wanted to learn the best practices of doing so.

I've bought a number of items here, and on fredmiranda, but I've never sold anything.

Thanks in Advance

Mike

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Question about how to best make trades
jmiguez Silver Member
26th Feb 2013
mikesc
26th Feb 2013
ScottL78 Silver Member
26th Feb 2013
ZoneV Silver Member
26th Feb 2013
IndyGeoff Silver Member
28th Feb 2013
plankowner110 Silver Member
02nd Mar 2013
     Reply message Thank you to all who responded to my questions.
mikesc
04th Mar 2013
          Reply message RE: Thank you to all who responded to my questions.
chipshorter Silver Member
05th Mar 2013
               Reply message RE: Thank you to all who responded to my questions.
Captain Rich Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
ZoneV Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
mikesc
08th Mar 2013

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Tue 26-Feb-13 02:16 AM
438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question about how to best make trades"
In response to Reply # 0

Lafayette, US

In all of the purchasing I have done, and the one body I sold, the buyer sends the money first. Then to seller ships.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

mikesc Registered since 22nd Jun 2007Tue 26-Feb-13 03:08 AM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question about how to best make trades"
In response to Reply # 1

York, US

Thanks John, I should have made clear that my concern is about the trading gear for gear part; what most people do in that situation.

Thanks again,

Mike

ScottL78 Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Apr 2006Tue 26-Feb-13 11:06 AM
274 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question about how to best make trades"
In response to Reply # 2

White Plains, NY, US

I would think it would be the same and a cash purchase.

The person interested in a "for trade" listing should send first and the person listing should receive, approve, and then send the listed item out.

The only other option is a trusted middle man. But that is a whole different story.

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Tue 26-Feb-13 03:48 PM
3476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Question about how to best make trades"
In response to Reply # 0

US

You can also make it into two purchases. One person sends money, the other ships after receiving it. Then the other sends money and the first ships.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

IndyGeoff Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2007Thu 28-Feb-13 07:50 PM
165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Question about how to best make trades"
In response to Reply # 4

Greenwood, US

this sounds like the safest option to me however it would allow the less than reputable to sell you an item and not buy yours. not steal it mind you, just not send a payment back for your item

plankowner110 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004Sat 02-Mar-13 01:32 PM
469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Question about how to best make trades"
In response to Reply # 5

Ohio, US

I've purchased or sold a couple of lenses, camera bodies, and speedlights on Nikonians and every transaction went smoothly. We always used PayPal for its convenience and speed. I just bought a AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm VR lens from a fellow Nikonian at a terrific price and it is in mint condition. There are a lot of trustworthy members here on Nikonians.

Bill
D300
Nikon since 1970

mikesc Registered since 22nd Jun 2007Mon 04-Mar-13 06:31 PM
#7. "Thank you to all who responded to my questions."
In response to Reply # 6

York, US

Thank you to all who responded to my questions.

chipshorter Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2012Tue 05-Mar-13 04:46 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Thank you to all who responded to my questions."
In response to Reply # 7

Philadelphia, US

I'm a little late to the topic, but I have traded items in the past over at rangefinderforum, and the protocol over there is to send at the same time, and to provide tracking and insurance if you're uneasy. Sometimes a phone conversation is requested in order to make all parties comfortable.
I've traded $1,000 bodies back and forth and had no problems (knock on wood!).

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Thu 07-Mar-13 12:24 PM
1177 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Thank you to all who responded to my questions."
In response to Reply # 8

Savannah, US

+1 to the phone conversation. I've bought quite a few items here and sold several as well. Nikonians members are a good bunch of folks, and descriptions of condition seem to always be accurate to better than described. The one trade i made was great. Mick Klass and I traded bodies and lenses and I couldn't be happier with the D700 I received. And found a new Nikonian friend in the process!

Rich

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Thu 07-Mar-13 11:50 PM
3476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Question about how to best make trades"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 07-Mar-13 11:52 PM by ZoneV

US

>this sounds like the safest option to me however it would
>allow the less than reputable to sell you an item and not buy
>yours. not steal it mind you, just not send a payment back for
>your item

And that can happen in ANY sale. It's the risk people take.

Look for someone who has been around a while, with a good number of posts, maybe some recommendations too. Ask for nikonians or other feedback. See if they respond quickly. I once had someone respond on nikonians after a week and a half. I shouldn't have gotten into a deal with him, but I did. He ended up stealing my $35 and never sending the item.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

mikesc Registered since 22nd Jun 2007Fri 08-Mar-13 12:44 AM
#11. "RE: Question about how to best make trades"
In response to Reply # 10

York, US

Thanks

Forums Lobby GENERAL FORUMS I Want to Sell topic #109465 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.