nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GENERAL I Want to Sell topic #105374
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ai-s 400 f/5.6 ED-IF" - SOLD Previous topic | Next topic
Pouncer Silver Member  Memphis, US  Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009 Sun 12-Aug-12 12:33 AM
1147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Ai-s 400 f/5.6 ED-IF"
Tue 20-Nov-12 03:28 AM by Pouncer

A great lens, but I really don’t need it. Optically this lens is fantastic. The glass is very clean, as is the inside. Surprisingly little dust. The aperture blades are clean and smooth. The focus ring is likewise smooth and comfortable. Image quality is excellent. Included below are two photos I took using this lens, hand held on a D700, this past summer.

Price is $515 including insured shipping to your door in the continental U.S. At KEH this lens in EX+ condition sells for $750’ish (or at least did last year when I was searching for one). I have had this lens for about a year, purchased used. Comes with both caps.

While the optics are great, this lens has obviously seen a lot of use. You can see some blemishes on the finish and tripod collar. This is not the lens for you if you value looks over performance. If you don’t mind a cosmetically challenged lens, this is a good deal. Two matters of note. First the built in lens hood is loose enough to slide out of position. It does not stay retracted when the lens is pointed down. This never bothered me in practice as I always shoot with a lens hood in use. And this really isn’t the lens to leave dangling off your camera around your neck. Second, the aperture ring is sluggish. The aperture clicks into place, but not with the hard snap of a gently used Ai-s lens. (The spring and aperture blades themselves are not sluggish in the slightest.)

Email is preferred. Please contact me with any questions.

Garrett

This is my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)
Attachment #7, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Top

Replies to this topic

Pouncer Silver Member  Memphis, US  Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009 Thu 16-Aug-12 01:14 AM
1147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Ai-s 400 f/5.6 ED-IF"
In response to Reply # 0

bump for the mid-week crowd ... still available

Garrett

Alert Print | Top

Pouncer Silver Member  Memphis, US  Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009 Sat 25-Aug-12 04:06 PM
#2. "RE: Ai-s 400 f/5.6 ED-IF"
In response to Reply # 1

Had several inquiries - lens is still available.

Price reduced to $485.

Thanks, Garrett

Alert Print | Top

Forums Lobby GENERAL I Want to Sell topic #105374 Previous topic | Next topic