Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

ZyXel PLA-407 Ethernet Powerline Kit - SOLD

Photo_Art_W Photo_Art_W

Is from: Westfield, US
1032 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Photo_Art_W Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Registered since 21st Nov 2005
Tue 24-Apr-12 02:13 AM | edited Sat 02-Jun-12 01:26 PM by Photo_Art_W
OK, this is not Nikon or camera gear, but for some fellow Nikonian computer users out there this may be something you could use. For sale here is a used but in great condition ZyXel PLA-407 Ethernet over Powerline Starter Kit. The kit includes 2 adapter units with 120V AC power pass through on each adapter so you don't lose a power outlet, 1-Ethernet cable, original documentation and CD, in the original box. Everything included as new, pictures of the box and all that is included is below.

Basically what this kit does, it allows you to transmit an ethernet signal through the wiring of your home to another computer or device that requires ethernet. The kit includes the base adapter that plugs into a wall outlet that you connect to your router via an ethernet cable (1 cable is supplied), and a receiver module that you plug into a wall outlet elsewhere in your home, and connect an ethernet cable to it and to your computer or other device (Blu-ray or DVD player, for streaming) with an ethernet input. This is ideal where maybe wireless is not available, you have a weak signal, or where you require faster transfer rates than wireless provides. Encryption between the 2 adapters is also capable so no one will be able to access ethernet signal through your power line. It also goes into a low power mode when it senses that your remote computer is off or not using any ethernet signal in or out. It automatically turns on when it senses an ethernet signal request.

I purchased this kit new from Newegg in March 2012 and it works fine, I wanted faster internet and ethernet speed to a remote computer that was using wireless G downstairs. The speed to my remote computer using this kit was as if it was hooked up directly to my router upstairs for internet use. File transfer speed was also very fast, many times faster than my wireless signal was ever capable of. This kit is highly recommended and well reviewed by many users. Additional adapters can be purchased to allow more ethernet outputs in different locations of your home.

The reason I'm selling it is that it caused interference with our ATT U-Verse TV signal. The picture would freeze, pause, or randomly become heavily pixelated. At first I thought it was a problem with ATTs' signal to our home. But after troubleshooting/removing the Ethernet Power Line adapters from the wall plugs the TV signal immediately cleared up. There are many reports of similar issues with ALL brands of ethernet Power Line adapters causing interference with the ATT RG unit and subsequent TV signal. If you use ATT U-Verse, then you may want to stay away from any type of Ethernet over Power Line adapters. I didn't find any solutions to the issue from users on the internet. So it's back to wireless for me for the remote computer.

Price $50 (Includes Paypal and Shipping within the Con USA)

E-mail preferred to contact me.
I've bought & sold here several times, and have over 290 100% positive feedbacks on the bay (fotoart1).

Thanks!
Art

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32306363/Nikonians/Zyxel_PLA407_1.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32306363/Nikonians/Zyxel_PLA407_2.jpg

http://www.artsplace.us

G