Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9990
View in linear mode

Subject: "Probably a very basic queston re View NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Sun 10-Feb-13 05:40 PM
290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Probably a very basic queston re View NX2"

Waynesville, US

Here's what's happening. I shoot a bunch transfer to computer and create a folder in NX2. Reformat card (or use a different formatted card) and shoot another bunch some of which will go into the created folder. BUT when I try to drag them into the original folder I get the "already exists" message. I understand that this is because the camera assigns a new sequential indentifier that starts at the same point as the first bunch did thus the "duplication". Short of having to rename the second ones is there a way around this?

Geoff

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Probably a very basic queston re View NX2
micro Silver Member
10th Feb 2013
limeyzen Silver Member
11th Feb 2013
walkerr Administrator
10th Feb 2013
M_Jackson Silver Member
10th Feb 2013
ericbowles Moderator
11th Feb 2013

micro Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2008Sun 10-Feb-13 06:32 PM
504 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Probably a very basic queston re View NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

walkertown, US

quit reformating your card every time.just delete the files.I used to reformat all the time because some say that you should but then I had the same issue as you,tons of folders.I,ve been just deleting them for close to 2 years now and my cards still work fine.never a problem.

there is no problem to big or small that can't be fixed with brute strength and ignorance visit my gallery

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Mon 11-Feb-13 12:47 AM
290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Probably a very basic queston re View NX2"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 11-Feb-13 12:50 PM by limeyzen

Waynesville, US

Rick,

Thank you - seems to be the best solution. I'll check into it.

Geoff

Edit 2/11 - Oops! This was meant for Rick Walter

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 10-Feb-13 08:12 PM
14178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Probably a very basic queston re View NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Simply change the setting on your camera so that it doesn't reset the numbering of your files every time you reformat your card (which is a good practice). On the D90 shown in your profile, it's custom function d7 (File Number Sequence), and you'll want to set it to "On".

BTW, newer cameras default to the "On" setting rather than "Off" with older ones. Since it's a little older, the D90 defaults to "Off", but it's easy to fix.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 10-Feb-13 11:34 PM
672 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Probably a very basic queston re View NX2"
In response to Reply # 2

Jackson, US

Geoff,
You probably won't run into the issue, but the File Number Sequence will only go up to 9999 before it resets back to 0001. At that point you stand the chance of getting duplicates.

There may be an option in View NX2 to do a custom filenaming sequence as images are imported. I haven't used View to import, but it is available in Lightroom. Others can let you know if View also has the feature.

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 11-Feb-13 10:12 AM
8152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Probably a very basic queston re View NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

If you are using View NX2 for transferring files, you do have the option to set a sequential variable, a date, or other types of renaming.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9990 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.