Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Alberta, CA
4706 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sat 09-Feb-13 03:47 PM | edited Sat 09-Feb-13 05:47 PM by KnightPhoto

Just added myself, some issues with image size are going to require a good deal of thought, but it does have some nice features and the ergonomics actually are pretty good both for the person viewing and for the uploader/site maintainer.

Image size seems to be a real challenge because:
- At the album level view for the site owner: Landscape images are resized greater than what I uploaded and as a result the image looks much softer (I uploaded 1200 pixels on the long edge but they are displayed bigger);
- At the album level view: Portrait images are resized smaller than what I uploaded and even these look softer (which is not what one would expect on a downsize);
- I guess I'd have to say the image resize engine needs some work and I need to optimize the max pixel width I upload to work around this.
- But there would be three or more different optimums, one for the site owner "Album view" and one for the "individual image view", the latter of which is larger. Then on the public viewer side there appears to be two different sizes as well, one size per the landing (manual navigation) page and a larger size in the slide show. So I'm not sure if there are 3 or even 4 different image sizes that end up being available?

- the ergonomics supports the arrow key, right-click, and double-click functionality, and even a full-screen view. I consider this very very good;
- it comes with an upload tool to support drag and drop upload;
- You can click through the album view into a larger individual photo view, where my Portrait orientation photos look great but the Landscape upsized image does not as it is upsized even more here.
- Arrow keys can be used to navigate from photo to photo - yay - this is a big big plus;
- Slideshow displays large size images and operates within a full screen view. Another very big positive I think. The slideshow view also allows arrow key navigation, so you can override in flight and go backwards if desired!
- 20Gb limit is great.

Here you can view for yourself an album I have made public:
- Don't forget to try the slideshow button
- But, darn it, look at the sharpness difference of the first photo when you do the slide-show as compared to the landing page.
- And oddly, the right arrow key does not operate at first, until you at least click on photo #2 and from thence on both right and left arrow keys work, including even when you return to the first photo!

I'm a little unclear on the album sharing feature, but it appears to be very very good and provides me with all kinds of options including preventing the viewer from downloading! I am not sure but it seems like an album is private unless I generate a URL for it, which could be good and bad. For example I don't know how I could send a client a landing page for my home page as a whole; but I could send them a URL just for their event and it can be password protected.

Up until now, I had a conundrum of not being able to allow web viewing but prevent right-click downloads. So this tool could be a sales feature whereby I show an album on the web and drum up sales of disks (DVDs) of photos for the event.

On balance from my first hour with it, and what I've seen so far, I'm going to continue investigating, but as an IT Project Manager I need to go in there and have a few things made better

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Reply message RE: Nikon Image Space