Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9971
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon Image Space" Previous topic | Next topic
KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 09-Feb-13 03:47 PM
4281 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon Image Space"
Sat 09-Feb-13 05:47 PM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

Just added myself, some issues with image size are going to require a good deal of thought, but it does have some nice features and the ergonomics actually are pretty good both for the person viewing and for the uploader/site maintainer.

Image size seems to be a real challenge because:
- At the album level view for the site owner: Landscape images are resized greater than what I uploaded and as a result the image looks much softer (I uploaded 1200 pixels on the long edge but they are displayed bigger);
- At the album level view: Portrait images are resized smaller than what I uploaded and even these look softer (which is not what one would expect on a downsize);
- I guess I'd have to say the image resize engine needs some work and I need to optimize the max pixel width I upload to work around this.
- But there would be three or more different optimums, one for the site owner "Album view" and one for the "individual image view", the latter of which is larger. Then on the public viewer side there appears to be two different sizes as well, one size per the landing (manual navigation) page and a larger size in the slide show. So I'm not sure if there are 3 or even 4 different image sizes that end up being available?

- the ergonomics supports the arrow key, right-click, and double-click functionality, and even a full-screen view. I consider this very very good;
- it comes with an upload tool to support drag and drop upload;
- You can click through the album view into a larger individual photo view, where my Portrait orientation photos look great but the Landscape upsized image does not as it is upsized even more here.
- Arrow keys can be used to navigate from photo to photo - yay - this is a big big plus;
- Slideshow displays large size images and operates within a full screen view. Another very big positive I think. The slideshow view also allows arrow key navigation, so you can override in flight and go backwards if desired!
- 20Gb limit is great.

Here you can view for yourself an album I have made public:
http://img.gg/dUEdI9r
- Don't forget to try the slideshow button
- But, darn it, look at the sharpness difference of the first photo when you do the slide-show as compared to the landing page.
- And oddly, the right arrow key does not operate at first, until you at least click on photo #2 and from thence on both right and left arrow keys work, including even when you return to the first photo!

I'm a little unclear on the album sharing feature, but it appears to be very very good and provides me with all kinds of options including preventing the viewer from downloading! I am not sure but it seems like an album is private unless I generate a URL for it, which could be good and bad. For example I don't know how I could send a client a landing page for my home page as a whole; but I could send them a URL just for their event and it can be password protected.

Up until now, I had a conundrum of not being able to allow web viewing but prevent right-click downloads. So this tool could be a sales feature whereby I show an album on the web and drum up sales of disks (DVDs) of photos for the event.

On balance from my first hour with it, and what I've seen so far, I'm going to continue investigating, but as an IT Project Manager I need to go in there and have a few things made better

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon Image Space
ericbowles Moderator
09th Feb 2013
KnightPhoto Gold Member
09th Feb 2013
ericbowles Moderator
10th Feb 2013
KnightPhoto Gold Member
10th Feb 2013
KnightPhoto Gold Member
09th Feb 2013
KnightPhoto Gold Member
09th Feb 2013
KnightPhoto Gold Member
09th Feb 2013
JonK Moderator
09th Feb 2013
KnightPhoto Gold Member
18th Feb 2013
cliddell Silver Member
19th Feb 2013
cliddell Silver Member
20th Feb 2013
KnightPhoto Gold Member
21st Feb 2013
barrywesthead Silver Member
22nd Feb 2013

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 09-Feb-13 05:30 PM
8703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon Image Space"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Steve

I've set up an account as well but find it to be exceptionally slow.

It took about 2 minutes for me to open the album through your link. It seemed to be a little better and more responsive once it opened and loaded all the images, but I am not sure I would wait that long.

I am not sure whether it was a long loading delay or what, but I abandoned Chrome and went to IE where it was also quite slow.

I initially tried to upload some small JPEG files to Image Space and found it to be unusable. I can't afford to use a product that takes so long to load. It just creates frustrations.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 09-Feb-13 05:38 PM
4281 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon Image Space"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 09-Feb-13 05:42 PM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

OK, I am not experiencing that. Maybe 3 to 20 seconds for me...

Anyone else?

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 10-Feb-13 11:52 AM
8703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon Image Space"
In response to Reply # 3

Atlanta, US

I gave it another try today and load times were reasonable.

My own Image Space album opens as well, but I have a big popup that won't go away and cannot be closed in Chrome.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 10-Feb-13 12:56 PM
#8. "RE: Nikon Image Space"
In response to Reply # 7

Alberta, CA

I saw this on another site, some folks are having issues with Flash security, which may or may not help you):

"This problem may be caused by the Flash Player.

Please go to System Preferences / Other / Flash Player;

Double click Flash Player;

Then click Advanced / click Trusted Location Settings;

If the Trusted File or Folder Location for , then unblock it.

This is for Mac OS. Then for PC...

Bingo ... many thanks.

I have a PC but it is the same: Control Panel - system & security - Flash Player ... ask me before let the sites ..."

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 09-Feb-13 05:36 PM
#2. "RE: Nikon Image Space"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Aha, I have now added a 1600 pixel (long edge) album here:
http://img.gg/ANAb0nK

I chose 1600 because album publishing alows me to dictate 1600 as an option on output. It is a little better in terms of sharpness, particularly visible on the one landscape orientation image in slideshow view.

Overall, the IQ weight and sharpness of the photos is a fair amount less than my original jpegs (which are tack sharp on my computer). Maybe that performance is part of my sales pitch, "the images on the DVD disk are even sharper"

Some other long story stuff:
- Sharing an album appears to duplicate it. So if I go back and update the source album after sharing, it doesn't automatically update the public shared album. So you better have all the photos you intend to include at the time you publish;
- If I don't copy and paste the generated URL at the time I generate it, I can't seem to view what the URL is for my public album afterwards as a property of the album;
- I haven't figured out how to copy and paste the generated digital-URL-thingy (2-D bar code?) but when I generate a URL the album is assigned one of these.
- there are a three different cool integrated email a shared album options .
- Lotsa features overall as well as some drawbacks.
- I intend to use it, but Jeez, if I could just get the display to not go max size greater than I upload, then I could exercise more direct control of sharpness.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 09-Feb-13 05:40 PM
#4. "RE: Nikon Image Space"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat 09-Feb-13 06:09 PM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

And finally, here is the updated original album, which contains a 1920 pixel version of the landscape photo and if you toggle back and forth you can see the difference between 1200 and 1920 pixels wide (but pretty much only if you use the SlideShow which is higher IQ):
http://img.gg/Q9CTt0m

And for the record, the original jpegs are still far sharper. The portrait images are closer to my originals quality. But even on the album where I thought I told it "display no bigger than 1600", I believe it ignored my instruction and as a result the landscape IQ is just not there as compared to original.

I am using Safari BTW (iMac 27").

Long-winded way of saying even 1920 may be too small to upload in order to optimize the output of the Nikon Image Space engine that receives the photos.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 09-Feb-13 07:09 PM
#5. "RE: Nikon Image Space"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Hopefully this is teething pains, this is 4 sizes of the same image, 1200 pixels wide, 1600, 1920, and full size which worked out to 4907 pixels wide on the D4. Clearly the 1600 and 1920 wide images are the best when viewed in the Slide Show, but they are all #### if you don't use the slideshow feature:
http://img.gg/Q9uMVGr

- and the site is displaying the image way larger than 1600 even though I carefully chose the 1600 wide option I estimate it is displaying around 2000 pixels wide, but at a much reduced IQ weight than what I uploaded. This may be the reason everything looks like #### since the site display zooms to a much higher width than what the original image is uploaded at.
- My originals at all sizes are much sharper (on the two main actors) than what is displayed on the web, unfortunately. I dearly hope this will be fixed. If it were, I really could make use of NIS.

I don't get the long download times that Eric does. I would be interested in anyone's else experience and impressions with their own photos or mine.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 09-Feb-13 08:56 PM
4704 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon Image Space"
In response to Reply # 5

New York, US

Steve,

All the links open for me in in less than fifteen seconds and I see little difference in the image quality.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 18-Feb-13 03:49 PM
#9. "RE: Nikon Image Space"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Just added a birding album to NIS:
http://img.gg/Wrc9JSx
which is a great way to evaluate sharpness. You can compare this to my equivalent Nikonians album:
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/24255

I suspect people with a smaller monitor will see less of a difference. On my 27" monitor, the NIS images are expanded beyond the 1500 pixel-wide that I uploaded, so sharpness suffers some. But the NIS ergonomics are far superior, I will say that. Pros and cons...

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Tue 19-Feb-13 03:43 PM
999 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon Image Space"
In response to Reply # 9

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi Steve,

You have got me interested in NIS. I have looked in the US and Europe("my"site) Nikon Sites to download the software and not a word do I see mentioned about NIS.

Is it a Nikon Product? Is it in "test" mode?

Thanks for the info anyway :>)

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Wed 20-Feb-13 06:02 AM
999 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon Image Space"
In response to Reply # 10

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Well I am "replying" to my own post...

Last night I had some spare time and decided to update ViewNX. There I noticed the addition of NIS to the Web section and after a hiccup or two (my country is not listed :>), I had to use my country of origin (some 200+ years ago) to log in...

Amongst other features I like the idea that the image size is flexible - will report back after using it.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 21-Feb-13 03:21 AM
#12. "RE: Nikon Image Space"
In response to Reply # 10

Alberta, CA

Hi Clive, NIS is in full live mode (not test mode). Likewise I had to register as USA, since Canada wasn't an option.

Let us know your thoughts, it would be good to hear others impressions!

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Fri 22-Feb-13 03:05 PM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon Image Space"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 22-Feb-13 03:06 PM by barrywesthead

Kleinburg, CA

>I'm a little unclear on the album sharing feature, but it
>appears to be very very good and provides me with all kinds of
>options including preventing the viewer from downloading!

To clarify, all of the images that are displayed on a viewer's screen such as the jpegs in your slideshow are readily accessible on the viewer’s hard drive at the full displayed resolution once they have been viewed on screen.

Barry

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9971 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.