Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9929
View in linear mode

Subject: "ViewNX2 not showing correct focus point" Previous topic | Next topic
JTccs13 Registered since 07th Jan 2013Thu 31-Jan-13 08:40 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ViewNX2 not showing correct focus point"

US

I'm shooting with a D600. I have noticed that if I select the center focus point on my camera when capturing an image, ViewNX2 will show the focus point exactly where I know I focused. However, If I choose any of the other focus points, the red square in ViewNX2 will be just outside of where I focused. Upon examining the images it appears that where I focused is sharp. I'm wondering if focus point feature is inaccurate.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: ViewNX2 not showing correct focus point
ericbowles Moderator
01st Feb 2013
JTccs13
04th Feb 2013
ericbowles Moderator
04th Feb 2013
JTccs13
04th Feb 2013
Asgard Administrator
04th Feb 2013
ericbowles Moderator
05th Feb 2013

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 01-Feb-13 08:43 PM
8515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ViewNX2 not showing correct focus point"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Are you using Dynamic AF?

AF-C with one of the Dynamic Focus modes is a little different. Through the viewfinder it shows the center of the group of focus points you are using. In View and Capture it shows the specific sensor that was used for AF on that image - any one of the 9, 21, or 51 points depending on your selection.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

JTccs13 Registered since 07th Jan 2013Mon 04-Feb-13 08:48 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ViewNX2 not showing correct focus point"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for your reply. I'm using AF-S and choosing a single point using the multi selector. I know that I'm focusing on my subjects eyes, but when I double check my focus point in ViewNX2 it shows the red box (focus point) on her forehead or slightly higher than where I focused. It's not a huge deal, but when I noticed ViewNX2 had the focus point feature I thought it might come in handy for troubleshooting soft images. (I work for a medium/large studio and I thought I might use it as a training tool)

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 04-Feb-13 09:10 PM
8515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: ViewNX2 not showing correct focus point"
In response to Reply # 2

Atlanta, US

If you focus and recompose, the AF point remains the one used, not the one on the subject's eye at the time of the image.

EXIF data should contain the focus details. If you are using AF-S and Single point, only focus and recompose should present the issue you describe.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

JTccs13 Registered since 07th Jan 2013Mon 04-Feb-13 10:05 PM
#4. "RE: ViewNX2 not showing correct focus point"
In response to Reply # 3

US

That's what I thought I might have been doing, so I used a camera stand to make sure the camera was stationary. If I choose the center focus point on the camera, ViewNX2 will show the focus point correctly. However, if I choose any other focus point other than the center, ViewNX2 will show an inaccurate focus point.

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Mon 04-Feb-13 11:21 PM
50209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: ViewNX2 not showing correct focus point"
In response to Reply # 4

East Frisia, DE

Can you upload an example to your gallery ?

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 05-Feb-13 12:42 AM
#6. "RE: ViewNX2 not showing correct focus point"
In response to Reply # 4

Atlanta, US

You probably know this, but Dynamic AF only shows one AF point but uses a group. Take one more look and be sure that Dynamic AF is not selected. Also try testing Dynamic 9 point to be sure it works okay.

Are you using Face Priority by any chance?

If you are using single and it is selecting an inappropriate AF point, I think its a problem and would send it to Nikon for service.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9929 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.