Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9916
View in linear mode

Subject: "RAW processting with Aperture Vs Capture NX 2" Previous topic | Next topic
dswelfelt Registered since 12th Oct 2012Sat 26-Jan-13 06:09 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RAW processting with Aperture Vs Capture NX 2"

Newton, US

I shoot a D300s, use RAW (NEF) and import and organize all my images via Aperture. I also use all of the Nik plugins for Aperture.
Question, since I shoot in RAW, is there an advantage to using Capture NX 2 for RAW processing & adjustments over what is available with Aperture? Am I missing something by not using Capture NX 2?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 27-Jan-13 01:22 AM
12592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: RAW processting with Aperture Vs Capture NX 2"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

There have been many many discussions about using CNX2 v.s. (Put Post Processor here) discussions. But here in a nutshell is the difference. Only you can determine if this is a big deal to you or not. Capture NX2 is the only tool I am familiar with that reads ALL of your Nikon camera settings and applies them to the NEF on opening the file. Any company that purchased a license to use the Nikon Tool kit can do the same but as far as I know neither Adobe nor Aperture did. So what does this mean. It means that the other post processors can only read WB, and of course they know the f stop and shutter speed you used. They cannot read nor apply Picture Controls, though Adobe has come up with some presets that "mimic not read" the effect of setting a picture Control. If you use ADL, CNX2 is the only program that can read the setting and properly apply the proper adjustments. CNX2 automatically corrects distortion from most Nikon Lenses and will also defish an image. Now the downside is this No program can read another's NEF edits. So if you edit NEFs in Aperture or Adobe and open that file in CNX2 or vice versa, you will not see the edits. So if you open a NEF in CNX2 and do edits or want to apply all the stuff I said you can't do in another post processor, then you need to save the NEF (CNX2 saves all the NEF edits withing the NEF not side cars) and then do an "Open With " command in CNX2 which will open a TIFF with all the baked in changes in your chosen post processor.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9916 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.