Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9902
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nik Silver Effects?" Previous topic | Next topic
swampwizard Registered since 04th Nov 2012Mon 21-Jan-13 12:03 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nik Silver Effects?"

Atlanta, US

Hello Everybody, Was Nik software once owned by Nikon? Also,Can Silver Effects Pro be used as a plugin with Capture NX 2? Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 21-Jan-13 12:17 PM
14526 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nik Silver Effects?"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Nik had some investment from Nikon many years in the past. None of their current plug-ins can be used with NX2 in the manner that Color Efex Pro 3 can, but you can output a TIFF from NX2 and work with the Lightroom versions of their plug-ins that way.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 21-Jan-13 01:31 PM
5905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nik Silver Effects?"
In response to Reply # 1

Tacoma, US

>...but you can output a TIFF
>from NX2 and work with the Lightroom versions of their
>plug-ins that way.

And just as clarification, you do not need Lightroom to do it. SilverEfex will run as a standalone program and will work on TIFs or JPGs (and possible others that I have not tried).

If you set SiverEfex as the "Open With" program in CNX preferences, CNX will automatically create a TIF from your image, with the current edits, and open it in SilverEfex.

Otherwise, you need to drag a JPG or TIFF onto a SilverEfex icon on your desktop, as there is no File|Open menu in SilverEfex.

Onc\e other option, if you use Photo Mechanic, is to set SilverEfex as one of your editing programs and simply open the image using the "Edit with" command.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

swampwizard Registered since 04th Nov 2012Mon 21-Jan-13 03:47 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nik Silver Effects?"
In response to Reply # 2

Atlanta, US

Thanks, I have SE Pro as a plugin in PS but I rarely use PS anymore except maybe for layers and when I do some BW.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9902 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.