Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #987
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using Nik plugins with Lightroom" Previous topic | Next topic
robb Basic MemberWed 25-Nov-09 05:01 PM
1072 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using Nik plugins with Lightroom"

Central Valley, CA, US

Hi all

I have a question on using Nik plugins in the Lightroom flow.. As far as I can understand, when you open one of the Nik plugins, LR will first create a tiff file, and then let the plugin do its thing..

Assuming that is true, if I wanted to use several plugins on one image, for example use viveza first, then color efex pro second.. will that result in 2 tiff files being created, or will the color efex also process on the first tiff?

Giving the substantial difference in price between the two complete bundles ($600 for the complete and $300 for the LR bundle), I am trying to see how the plugins can work in my LR flow as painlessly as possible without having too much file cleanup.

Anyone have any ideas, or advice? Thanks.

Best Regards,
Rob

http://www.robbohningphotography.com
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. -- Psalm 19:1

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Bronte Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Aug 2006Wed 25-Nov-09 09:57 PM
115 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using Nik plugins with Lightroom"
In response to Reply # 0

Pickering, GB

Hi there

You are right, that in theory the LR plug-in is really designed for working with one element of the Nik package, based on the TIFF created by LR.

However, you can apply successive plug-in treatments to that original TIFF created by LR. You simply select the edited TIFF which appears in LR after you have used your first plug-in. Then select edit-in and the second plug-in you want to use.

However, this time instead of choosing the first option of generating a further TIFF with LR adjustments to work on, choose to modify the original image instead. This will open the TIFF file you have already worked on within the second plug-in you want to apply.

Then when you choose to save in the plug-in, the TIFF will be updated within LR. I believe that you can carry on doing this as many times as you like, and you will avoid generating a confusing array of multiple versions.

What you lose working in this way out of LR is the ability to apply multiple Nik effects in layer stacks - either ordinary adjustment layers or smart ones.

So if you only apply one or two NIK effects at a time (Define, for example) you could manage with the LR plug-ins. However, if you want to use the whole suite, you are much better off working through the Photoshop versions.

Hope this helps..!

Bronte
A Nikonian in North Yorkshire

visit my website at www.pcphotographic.co.uk

smb_ohio Registered since 18th Mar 2006Thu 26-Nov-09 11:09 AM
1290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using Nik plugins with Lightroom"
In response to Reply # 1

Canton, US

Excellent description of the workflow options, Bronte.

For me, the huge difference in price outweighs the disadvantage of not being able to work in layers. I prefer to use LR to its best advantage, anyway, which is a simplified workflow that provides excellent photographic contol without layers. I find that the NiK plugins fit very well into that overall scheme. I find that I usually don't need to use more than one or two of the NiK plug-ins on a single image.

Steve

A Nikonian in northeastern Ohio

http://stephen-bishop.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #987 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.