Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9808
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can't Update Capture NX-2" Previous topic | Next topic
marks357 Registered since 17th Jul 2008Tue 01-Jan-13 04:22 PM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Can't Update Capture NX-2"

NNJ, US

Currently running NX2 v. 2.2.7. Trying to update to current version which I understand is 2.3.5? When I click on 'Update Capture NX2' on the help menu, I get a 'Could not connect to server' message (see below) and I can't proceed any further. The computer is definitely connected to the internet (Comcast/Xfinity cable) - since I'm on the Nikonians site now and posting this - so I don't know why I get this message. Computer OS is Windows XP (SP3). Nikon Message Center is v. 2.0.1.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-Mark-

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Can't Update Capture NX-2
nrothschild Silver Member
01st Jan 2013
marks357
01st Jan 2013
01st Jan 2013
marks357
01st Jan 2013
01st Jan 2013
marks357
02nd Jan 2013
Howker Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
marks357
02nd Jan 2013
fmrnykr Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
Howker Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
Howker Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
marks357
02nd Jan 2013
02nd Jan 2013
marks357
02nd Jan 2013
Asgard Administrator
02nd Jan 2013
marks357
03rd Jan 2013
03rd Jan 2013
marks357
03rd Jan 2013

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Tue 01-Jan-13 04:32 PM
10915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Can't Update Capture NX-2"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I've seen a number of complaints about the "Could Not Connect To Server" error here. Message Center appears to have some bugs or reliability issues.

I always use the NikonUSA Download Center web page to download my updates. I don't use the message center to do my updates do I do not know if it works for me.

my Nikonians gallery.

marks357 Registered since 17th Jul 2008Tue 01-Jan-13 04:58 PM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Can't Update Capture NX-2"
In response to Reply # 1

NNJ, US

Neil -

Thanks. Not sure of the update procedure, though. I see from other threads here you suggest uninstalling what's on the computer (which for me is v. 2.2.7), then downloading and installing full v. 2.3.0, then updating that to v. 2.3.5.

But if I uninstall v. 2.2.7, how will the program know that I have a legitimate license when I install v. 2.3.0? I won't have a Product Key for v. 2.3.0.

(My original install was Capture NX. I purchased the upgrade to NX2, and I have the original discs and Product Keys for both).

Thanks.

-Mark-

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Tue 01-Jan-13 06:23 PM
10915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Can't Update Capture NX-2"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 01-Jan-13 06:25 PM by nrothschild

US

The instructions for 2.3.0 suggest it is not *necessary* to uninstall the old version but I like to do that in order to avoid any potential problems with the installer. It is arguably always best to start with a "fresh" install when updating with a "full" install, as is the case with 2.3 The update procedure should say something about that.

I see a relatively large number of problems with CNX and CNX2 that seem to be resolved with a complete uninstall and reinstall. Since it tends to be a somewhat quirky app in the best of circumstances, I figure it is better to get that process of elimination trouble shooting step out of the way up front. And it is difficult to determine if any given quirk is "normal" or not, and not worth the time to research those things.

The only argument I know against a reinstall is that on occasion I've seen reports suggesting that the "copy protection" part of the installer will, after some unknown number of uses, refuse to validate.

So if one were to frequently reinstall the product it might make sense to minimize the install count. None of this is documented so there is a lot of speculation here. I've done a fair number of reinstalls since I've had CNX2 and never had a problem. I've probably put it on 4 or 5 machines over the years.

Your product keys for NX and NX2 will work for NX2 V2.3.x. As I recall you need both, and I doubt that there is any "end run" by installing over the old copy verses a reinstall. The exception might be if you lost your original NX product key.

I'm a little fuzzy on the details because the last time I actually did it was in July 2012, but that went smoothly when I reinstalled everything to a new laptop. I did need both keys and I guard all my product keys like they were made of gold .

my Nikonians gallery.

marks357 Registered since 17th Jul 2008Tue 01-Jan-13 06:59 PM
#4. "RE: Can't Update Capture NX-2"
In response to Reply # 3

NNJ, US

I just completed the update.

I did not uninstall v. 2.2.7 - I downloaded the full v. 2.3.0 and installed over v 2.2.7. Then downloaded and installed the 2.3.5 update. Both seemed to install without a problem, never asked for the Product Key.

Hopefully I won't run into a future problem with the copy protection refusing to validate.

BTW, during the update I saw a message that it was installing the picture control utility. How do you get to the picture controls? I don't see them anywhere.

Thanks again for your always comprehensive and helpful assistance!

-Mark-

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Tue 01-Jan-13 09:38 PM
#5. "RE: Can't Update Capture NX-2"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Mark,

Open an impage in CNX2. In the edit list under picture control, select a Picture Control (even if it is the same one embedded in the out of camera image). Click the rectangular icon witht he gear and drop down arrow in the lower left of the Quick Adjust Section. The 3rd drop down is "Launch Picture Control Utility".

I had to poke around for a couple of minutes to find that; haven't used it in a while . It is buried a bit deeply in the interface!

my Nikonians gallery.

marks357 Registered since 17th Jul 2008Wed 02-Jan-13 05:21 AM
#6. "RE: Can't Update Capture NX-2"
In response to Reply # 5

NNJ, US

Neil -

'Picture Control' doesn't show up anywhere in the edit list... I guess that's part of the problem. Do the Picture Controls have to be installed/added in a separate step, or are they integrated into NX2. If they are, how do I get them to show up so I can then follow your instructions to get to the PC utility?

Thanks.

-Mark-

Howker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Wed 02-Jan-13 05:31 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Can't Update Capture NX-2"
In response to Reply # 6

Redmond, US

I have been trying to update to 2.3.5 from 2.3.1 without success.
The download runs, says installion complete but the app returns an error 'corupt ot incomplete. I have been trying it for 3 days now each time downloading S_CNX2_02...EN-ALL__.dmg which is always 77.3MB. It always installs but the CNX2 app is only 22MB whereas my 2.3.1 is 74.1MB so somthing is missing alright.
Anybody having update problems? I am still waiting on Nikon replying to my query. from 30 Dec. As usual they dont really care about the software, do thy?

marks357 Registered since 17th Jul 2008Wed 02-Jan-13 02:55 PM
#11. "RE: Can't Update Capture NX-2"
In response to Reply # 8

NNJ, US

Sorry I can't give you additional insights as to what might be wrong. I just did the update as described and (luckily) everything seemed to work OK.

I was hesitant to do it, because I tried to update on a different computer about a year ago and it didn't work, got some kind of error message but I don't remember the details. It was a second installation of NX2 that I didn't really need, so I just uninstalled everything. (That computer subsequently crashed (for other unrelated reasons) and was replaced, so I can't even go back to take a look to refresh my memory).

Very frustrating. Good luck, I hope you eventually get it to work.

-Mark-

fmrnykr Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Mar 2010Thu 03-Jan-13 02:34 AM
179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Can't Update Capture NX-2"
In response to Reply # 8

Oakland, US

>I have been trying to update to 2.3.5 from 2.3.1 without
>success.
>The download runs, says installion complete but the app
>returns an error 'corupt ot incomplete. I have been trying it
>for 3 days now each time downloading S_CNX2_02...EN-ALL__.dmg
>which is always 77.3MB. It always installs but the CNX2 app is
>only 22MB whereas my 2.3.1 is 74.1MB so somthing is missing
>alright.
>Anybody having update problems? I am still waiting on Nikon
>replying to my query. from 30 Dec. As usual they dont really
>care about the software, do thy?

Tom,

If I have problems like you're having, I uninstall NX2, run the NX2 registry cleaner and then do a re-install from the Nikon web site. I then do the update from the web. The registry cleaners are available from the download section of their website.

I hope this helps.

Bob

Bob White
San Francisco Bay Area (BWO Brooklyn, N.Y.)

Don't push the river, let it flow.

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/314628/cat/500

Howker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Thu 03-Jan-13 04:53 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Can't Update Capture NX-2"
In response to Reply # 14

Redmond, US

Thnx Bob
I am MAC so dont need registry cleaner. However I have at last heard from Nikon support who say uninstall 'Old' version - shut down - reinstall downloaded update.
I just got it so will do asap & let you know .
Thnx again tho for your response.

Tom

Howker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Thu 03-Jan-13 05:53 PM
#18. "RE: Can't Update Capture NX-2"
In response to Reply # 17

Redmond, US

Just to update now I have heard from Nikon support.

Uninstalling CNX2 has to include Pic Cntrl Util etc . In fact to get it to work I had to uninstall everything except ViewNX2. Support actually includes a RegCleaner downlaod which of course is no use on a MAC, its not needed)
You then need to download & install v2.3.0 (even if you had 2.3.1 as I had).
THEN you update to v2.3.5

For a MAC user this is more palaver than any other update I have ever done. You get so used to MACs just downloading & installing updates this was a lot of trouble.
Thank goodness its not my main proc software.

marks357 Registered since 17th Jul 2008Wed 02-Jan-13 05:28 AM
#7. "RE: Can't Update Capture NX-2"
In response to Reply # 5

NNJ, US

... another thought. Do PC's only show up with RAW files? I'm working with jpegs. Thanks.

-Mark-

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Wed 02-Jan-13 01:37 PM
#9. "RE: Can't Update Capture NX-2"
In response to Reply # 7

US

>> ... another thought. Do PC's only show up with RAW files? I'm working with jpegs. Thanks.

Yes, Picture Controls can only be applied to raw files.

If you normally shoot JPG you could shoot and edit a raw image in order to access the editor, and then save the modified Picture Control to a film card in order to upload it to your camera.

my Nikonians gallery.

marks357 Registered since 17th Jul 2008Wed 02-Jan-13 02:44 PM
#10. "RE: Can't Update Capture NX-2"
In response to Reply # 9

NNJ, US

>Yes, Picture Controls can only be applied to raw files.
>
>If you normally shoot JPG you could shoot and edit a raw image
>in order to access the editor, and then save the modified
>Picture Control to a film card in order to upload it to your
>camera.

Does this mean that 'Picture Controls' will show up as an option on the edit list only if you have a RAW file open? If I open a RAW file I will see it?

And I'm not so concerned with modifying and saving a PC, I just wanted to have the option of applying different PC's to the photo to see the effect -- although modifying/changing is certainly a great feature and one I will probably take advantage of in the future.

-Mark-

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Wed 02-Jan-13 09:37 PM
51169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Can't Update Capture NX-2"
In response to Reply # 10

East Frisia, DE

Have a look here:

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/picturecontrol/

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

marks357 Registered since 17th Jul 2008Thu 03-Jan-13 03:19 AM
#15. "RE: Can't Update Capture NX-2"
In response to Reply # 12

NNJ, US

Great site, thank you!

-Mark-

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 03-Jan-13 01:45 AM
#13. "RE: Can't Update Capture NX-2"
In response to Reply # 10
Thu 03-Jan-13 11:58 AM by nrothschild

US

Hi Mark,

There are a number of edits that can be made in raw only... including white balance, exposure changes, and applying picture controls.

You can change picture controls in a raw file (not a JPG or TIF). You don't use Picture Control Utility; you just select an existing Picture Control from a drop down in the Camera Settings section of the Edit List. The Camera Settings section only displays for raw files.

All good reasons to shoot raw .

my Nikonians gallery.

marks357 Registered since 17th Jul 2008Thu 03-Jan-13 03:20 AM
#16. "RE: Can't Update Capture NX-2"
In response to Reply # 13

NNJ, US

Neil -

Got it.
Thanks again for all your help!

-Mark-

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9808 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.