Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9805
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 opens some tiff files but not others" Previous topic | Next topic
pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Sun 30-Dec-12 11:28 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 opens some tiff files but not others"
Mon 31-Dec-12 01:59 AM by pwarbeck

Tucson AZ, US

I'm running CNX2 version 2.2.7 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

I'm outputting tiffs from HDR Efex Pro 2 (HEP2) and attempting to load them into CNX2. Sometimes the tiff loads, and sometime CNX2 says "Cannot load file."

Other people have suggested that the problem is the size of the tiff files. However I have not been able to verify this. The problem seems to occur randomly, sometimes with large tiff files and sometimes with small ones.

I unchecked the "align images" and "reduce chromatic aberration" boxes on the HEP2 Merge screen. After doing this, I was able to consistently output readable tiffs. But I suspect this could be a coincidence. Something else is going on.

Any ideas?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 opens some tiff files but not others
fmrnykr Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
pwarbeck Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
robsb Platinum Member
03rd Jan 2013
pwarbeck Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
pwarbeck Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
pshnikchch Silver Member
04th Jan 2013
pwarbeck Silver Member
04th Jan 2013
pshnikchch Silver Member
04th Jan 2013
pwarbeck Silver Member
04th Jan 2013
pshnikchch Silver Member
05th Jan 2013

fmrnykr Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Mar 2010Thu 03-Jan-13 02:48 AM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 opens some tiff files but not others"
In response to Reply # 0

Oakland, US

John,

You might want to download the latest version of CNX-2 from the Nikon website.

Here's the link: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61#Anchor-2.

Do the 2.3.0 install first and then do the update.

I hope this helps.

Bob

Bob White
San Francisco Bay Area (BWO Brooklyn, N.Y.)

Don't push the river, just let it flow.

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/314628/cat/500

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Thu 03-Jan-13 03:18 AM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 opens some tiff files but not others"
In response to Reply # 1

Tucson AZ, US

Bob,
Good idea. I upgraded to NX2 2.3.5, which is the latest version. As an experiment, I saved five tiffs from HDR Efex Pro 2. All five are roughly the same size. See what happens when I open the directory in NX2. The files with the blank icons are unreadable.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 03-Jan-13 03:24 AM
12588 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 opens some tiff files but not others"
In response to Reply # 2

San Jose, US

How much memory do you have? Also are all your HDR images flattened? CNX2 will not open an image with stacked layers.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Thu 03-Jan-13 04:04 AM
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 opens some tiff files but not others"
In response to Reply # 3

Tucson AZ, US

I have 4GB, but I suspect that's not the problem. To test this, I duplicated each of the five original tiffs, making ten. NX2 can open 6 of them (the same ones as before, as well as their copies). If I duplicate each of the original tiffs twice, I can open 9 of them (see screenshot). Would this happen if there were a memory problem?

Interestingly, copies of the tiffs that won't open also won't open. This seems to implicate the tiffs themselves, rather than NX2.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Thu 03-Jan-13 03:35 PM
#5. "RE: Capture NX2 opens some tiff files but not others"
In response to Reply # 3

Tucson AZ, US

I tried another experiment: I changed my workflow to use Photomatix instead of HDR Efex Pro 2 and reprocessed all the image sets. All the Photomatix tiffs are readable by NX2!

pshnikchch Silver Member Nikonian since 16th May 2007Fri 04-Jan-13 01:09 AM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Capture NX2 opens some tiff files but not others"
In response to Reply # 0

Christchurch, NZ

In the past, CNX2 has not been able to load TIFFs files that have an Alpha channel. Have not tested latest releases.

The solution was to create files without an alpha channel or to remove it.

This problem is well documented in the forum.

Peter

http://www.pastoralsystems.co.nz/photography/

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Fri 04-Jan-13 04:37 AM
#7. "RE: Capture NX2 opens some tiff files but not others"
In response to Reply # 6

Tucson AZ, US

All tiffs were created identically, using HDR Efex Pro 2. I was able to open the tiffs in Gimp and verify that they do not contain an alpha channel.

It is interesting that if I use Gimp to open one of these tiffs that NX2 cannot read and then write it back out without any changes, the file can then be opened by NX2. Of course Gimp reduces the file from 16-bits to 8-bits per channel, so this is not a solution.

pshnikchch Silver Member Nikonian since 16th May 2007Fri 04-Jan-13 07:34 AM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Capture NX2 opens some tiff files but not others"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri 04-Jan-13 07:41 AM by pshnikchch

Christchurch, NZ

>All tiffs were created identically, using HDR Efex Pro 2. I
>was able to open the tiffs in Gimp and verify that they do not
>contain an alpha channel.
>
>It is interesting that if I use Gimp to open one of these
>tiffs that NX2 cannot read and then write it back out without
>any changes, the file can then be opened by NX2. Of course
>Gimp reduces the file from 16-bits to 8-bits per channel, so
>this is not a solution.
>

Ok. The plot thickens.

I wonder if there is a problem with a linear dimension (width or height) of the problem TIFFs. Is there a common factor? I have found that I can load > 1GB TIFFs into CNX providing a certain linear dimension is not exceeded. However looking at your images above I suspect dimensions are unlikely to be the cause.

Regarding correcting the problem TIFFs with Gimp: there is a preview version available of the upcoming 16 bit per channel (and greater) GIMP. From my experience of the preview you may be able to load and save the problem TIFFs, retain the 16 bits per channel and rectify the CNX loading problem.

Good luck.

Peter

pwarbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2009Fri 04-Jan-13 07:03 PM
#9. "RE: Capture NX2 opens some tiff files but not others"
In response to Reply # 8

Tucson AZ, US

I will definitely upgrade to the 16-bit version of Gimp as soon as a stable release is available for Windows.

I got this reply from Nik Software:

"Thank you for contacting Nik Software.  We are aware of this issue, however, we don't know what is triggering it.  Our engineers are looking into it, but as of yet, we don't have a resolution."

Meanwhile I will use Photomatix. Tiffs from Photomatix are readable by NX2. It's faster and (in my opinion) produces better-looking results than HDR Efex Pro 2, at least with the built-in presets.

pshnikchch Silver Member Nikonian since 16th May 2007Sat 05-Jan-13 01:20 AM
#10. "RE: Capture NX2 opens some tiff files but not others"
In response to Reply # 9

Christchurch, NZ

Thanks for the update.

Be interesting to see what Nik come up with.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9805 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.