Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9778
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 question" Previous topic | Next topic
kshapero Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2006Fri 28-Dec-12 06:52 PM
271 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 question"

South Florida, US

I love using ASDCee for photo organizing. To use Capture NX2, do I need to also use View NX2? it seems redundant. Also after loading View NX2, I find that whenever I try to upgrade or Nikon message center, I get an error message saying that I am not connected to the Internet. What gives?
Akiva S.

Nikon F, FE, Nikkormat FTN, Nikon D7000, Leica M3

www.akivaphoto.net

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 question
Asgard Administrator
29th Dec 2012
nrothschild Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
ericbowles Moderator
30th Dec 2012
sfbillm Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
kshapero Gold Member
03rd Jan 2013

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sat 29-Dec-12 06:07 PM
51232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 question"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

It's not necessary to have both, but I use both.

For quick modifications View NX is enough.

The Nikon Message Center works not very well.

Better is to upload the newest version from the Nikon USA page.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sat 29-Dec-12 06:28 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

You don't need View NX2 but you will probably find Capture NX2 to be very deficient in basic browsing capability. Those deficiencies include basic file and folder management options (create folders, delete images, and etc.) as well as missing a basic image browser window.

You cannot, for example, flip through a thumbnail strip and view images; that is the job of ViewNX2.

Together they make for a good "team".

my Nikonians gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 30-Dec-12 09:35 PM
8710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 question"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I agree with the other comments. As a practical matter, View is a good program for browsing, rating, filtering based on ratings, etc. It's a good editor for casual images or quick turnaround. And it does a pretty good job of converting and resizing images that are edited in View only. I find that the click to 100% function of View is particularly useful.

Capture NX2 is not a very good browser, but it is a good advanced editor. It's my tool of choice for editing images for my website or fine art clients.

Nikon Message center is pretty worthless. I don't see any value in it. I just turned it off.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Wed 02-Jan-13 11:28 PM
861 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 question"
In response to Reply # 0

Santa Fe, US

I love using ASDCee for photo organizing. To use Capture NX2,
do I need to also use View NX2?

My computer is almost dead, so I can't check ACDSee, but, IIRC, you can call an external editor from within it, at least v.6. If so, you should be able to send an image to NX2 from there w.o. involving View NX2.

SantaFeBill

kshapero Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2006Thu 03-Jan-13 12:37 AM
271 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Capture NX2 question"
In response to Reply # 4

South Florida, US

>I love using ASDCee for photo organizing. To use Capture
>NX2,
>do I need to also use View NX2?

>
>My computer is almost dead, so I can't check ACDSee, but,
>IIRC, you can call an external editor from within it, at least
>v.6. If so, you should be able to send an image to NX2 from
>there w.o. involving View NX2.
>

Good advise

Akiva S.

Nikon F, FE, Nikkormat FTN, Nikon D7000, Leica M3

www.akivaphoto.net

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9778 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.