Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9763
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question about using Capture NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
danshep Silver Member Charter MemberSun 23-Dec-12 06:23 AM
1328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question about using Capture NX2"

Olympia, US

I have used Photoshop for years. I notice however, so many here, who use Capture.

So do you feel it is a better product? Do many of you own both and use them for different aspects of your work?

Thanks.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Question about using Capture NX2
ecossephoto
23rd Dec 2012
fjhauke
23rd Dec 2012
Pete Wilson Gold Member
23rd Dec 2012
ericbowles Moderator
23rd Dec 2012
robsb Platinum Member
27th Dec 2012
JonK Moderator
27th Dec 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
28th Dec 2012
JonK Moderator
28th Dec 2012
JonK Moderator
29th Dec 2012
ericbowles Moderator
29th Dec 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
ericbowles Moderator
29th Dec 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
30th Dec 2012
JonK Moderator
30th Dec 2012
ericbowles Moderator
30th Dec 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
30th Dec 2012
JonK Moderator
30th Dec 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
30th Dec 2012
jagdpanther Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
Gromit44
19th Jan 2013
piniongear
09th Jan 2013
robsb Platinum Member
27th Jan 2013
piniongear
27th Jan 2013
robsb Platinum Member
29th Jan 2013

ecossephoto Registered since 21st Jun 2012Sun 23-Dec-12 08:50 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I use NX because I have done so for years, it does all I need and basically, I can't be bothered to learn new skill sets.

It probably isn't much use if you shoot jpegs but if you shoot RAW NEFs then it is a natural choice. IMHO.
Others will maintain that other software can produce better results and I won't argue but after trying them, I decided that NX was certainly good enough not to purchase and learn new software. Your needs, preferences and experiences may vary.

fjhauke Registered since 16th Dec 2012Sun 23-Dec-12 05:14 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 23-Dec-12 05:15 PM by fjhauke

Fayetteville, US

I like the way NX2 processes the raw file and the non-destructive editing it provides. The color control points are also a very nice feature. With the LCH editor you can adjust brightness and contrast independent of color. Batch processing is another useful tool for me. Jason Odell has a lot of excellent tips the use of the software.

Pete Wilson Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Jun 2004Sun 23-Dec-12 06:21 PM
866 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Lake Orion, US

I switched to Capture NX2 right when it first came out. What used to take me an hour in photoshop I could do in less than 2 minutes with Capture NX2. Now the other photo processing programs (photoshop included) are getting much better at rendering an as shot photo so process time with them has been greatly reduced. If fact they have gotten so much better that I don't use NX2 hardly anymore. I have switched to Lightroom 4 - mainly for the database functionality but have learned to really like the develop module. When I was using NX2 I would also use photoshop along with it for finishing the photo and printing. How that I am using lightroom 4 I hardly ever use photoshop.

So is it a better product? Yes and No. It is better in how it interprets the raw files but has a lot less functionality than photoshop. I don't think I could use just Capture NX2 without some of the processing having to be done in photoshop.

Pete Wilson
Nikonian from Lake Orion, Michigan
My Nikonians gallery

Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 23-Dec-12 08:54 PM
8688 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 23-Dec-12 08:56 PM by ericbowles

Atlanta, US

For the reasons Pete and the others provided, View NX2 / Capture NX2 and Lightroom are the most frequently used post processing programs.

I refer to View and Capture together since View is used for rating, browsing, light editing, and resulting conversion to JPEG. Capture is the advanced editor for larger prints and it is very powerful. Both of these programs allow lossless edits to the compressed NEF file. Without resorting to layers, you can go back and modify any editing step at any time. And the programs use the camera settings so picture controls, active D Lighting, and white balance settings produce the same image from a NEF that they do for a JPEG.

Since you're a Photoshop user, you might take a look at Lightroom. Lightroom started as a catalog, but has evolved into a pretty good image editor. For most professionals, Lightroom has become the tool of choice because it is so much easier and faster. It works with a NEF file and edits are reversible.

Either Lightroom or View/Capture can handle 98% of the editing needs for most advanced photographers.

Photoshop may still have a place for a small percentage of edits. I own CS6 and use it for things like adding canvas, mirrored edges, advanced cloning, and print management.

Keep in mind that any product has a learning curve and you will need to invest some time and effort in tutorials or classes to fully understand the capabilities.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 27-Dec-12 09:30 PM
12818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

I too have used Photoshop for years starting with CS. It was my main post processor until CNX2 came out. While I consider myself an advanced user of Photoshop, I found after a short period that I could get quicker and better results with CNX2 after first only using it to convert my RAW images to TIFFs. I like the idea that I can stay in the NEF, all my edit steps are saved in the NEF and all my camera settings are applied. I still use Photoshop, now CS6 Extended when I have to do special things like add canvas, do perspective corrections, combine 2 or more images or do composites, but for my day to day work, I can process most any image in less than 5 minutes in CNX2 and any time in the future reedit it if I wish. The control point technology is especially good allowing for instant masking without layers and now you can add in SW to Photoshop to gain that feature, but in CNX2 it is totally integrated as are the NIK CEP 3.0 filters. CNX2 is very powerful in the right hands.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Thu 27-Dec-12 10:25 PM
4683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

I've been using Photoshop since 1990 (part of my day job). Soon after CNX2 came out I established a Photo Mechanic – CNX2 workflow, and that served me well for several years. About two years ago I switch to Lightroom both for the catalog ability and also for the more advanced processing that it offers over CNX2.

It takes an extra thirty seconds to initially dial in an image in Lightroom as compared to CNX2. That's expected, as Lightroom does not read the exact camera settings. But over time I have found this to be a blessing: by treating the RAW file as that, and tweaking all aspects of the data rather than starting from an arbitrary spot (the in-camera settings), I find I get a better result with exposure and especially with white balance — the Lightroom controls are more variable and more powerful.

The local selection controls are very good, too. The Lightroom Brush gives Control Points a good run for the money. Lightroom's image syncing and batching are much faster than CNX2.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Fri 28-Dec-12 09:48 PM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 6

Los Angeles, US

I have a few questions. I'm waiting in the wings to get the new iMac (for its Intel processor) so that I can begin doing PP.

My pro friend showed me Photo Mechanic, and I was intent on getting that. For photo intake, but especially, for renaming, sorting and cataloging.

It seems to my uneducated eyes that Lightroom duplicates much of those tasks. So, assuming that I'm shooting RAW files and don't want to play too much on the computer, would I be better off with a PM/LR combo, PM/CaptureNX2, or PM/PS combo?

The learning curve on PS kind of scares me off.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 28-Dec-12 10:36 PM
4683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 7

New York, US

Agreed, you can scratch PM/PS from the list. Regarding the other two combos:

• Photo Mechanic with Capture NX2 is a natural combination. The images live inside Photo Mechanic — to browse, sort, key word, etc. — and automatically round trip to Capture NX2 for processing. Photo Mechanic has lots of extra features, notably (to me, anyway) the ability to extract the JPG embedded in the RAW file. Photo Mechanic just added the catalog feature but I have not used it nor read much about it.

• Lightroom essentially does everything that Photo Mechanic and Capture NX2 do — browse, sort, keyword, catalog, and process. Obviously things are a bit different, and some prefer PM/CNXs and others prefer Lightroom. As I said above, I think Lightroom is overall more powerful and up-to-date than the other two together.

I admit to still occasionally using Photo Mechanic for a fast browse-and-delete of a large shoot and or the quick export of JPGs from a shoot. But other than those rare moments, I live in Lightroom.

Jon Kandel

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 29-Dec-12 04:52 PM
#12. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 8

New York, US

Regardless of the software, you're going to be a LOT happier on the new Mac!

Jon Kandel

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 29-Dec-12 03:04 PM
8688 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 7

Atlanta, US

I'm with Jon - PS is not that important for most tasks. In fact you could go for years with out it.

The choice really comes down to your choice of base editor - View/Capture or Lightroom. PM could be an addition later if you need it for the Nikon based workflow but is not needed for most Lightroom users.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 03:13 PM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 9

Los Angeles, US

Very helpful information. I'll take it in baby steps so I don't become overwhelmed. Need to get that Intel Mac first.

But I'm growing weary of ViewNX2 limitations, running on my PPc G4 Mac, at least.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 29-Dec-12 04:16 PM
#11. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 10

Atlanta, US

Feel free to share your limitations or issues. There may or may not be solutions.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 12:07 AM
#13. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 11

Los Angeles, US

Oh boy. A chance to complain!

In truth, I believe most of these hurdles are due to the PPc chip (1.6Ghz speed) in my G4 tower. And think they'll evaporate in a few weeks when i get the new iMac. But, here are my annoyances.

1) program crashes if I try to CONVERT more than one image from RAW to Jpeg. Sometimes even with 1 image. And, it takes forever.

2) Nagging tendency to file uploads in folders I didn't choose. And which are named with old names that I've changed multiple times. Arghhh!

3) Sluggish navigating from folder to folder.

4) General slowness. Even in renaming.

Give me an Intel-equipped computer. Give me Lightroom. Give me a break.

Happy New Year

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 30-Dec-12 03:25 PM
#14. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 13

New York, US

• You'll be much happier in general with your soon-to-be new Mac.
• CNX2 behaves better, a bit faster, but "things" will occasionally still happen.
• Lightroom, for many of us, is wonderful.

Jon Kandel

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 30-Dec-12 03:49 PM
#15. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 13

Atlanta, US

I'm running Windows 7 with an i5 chip and 8MB of RAM. I'm not seeing the same issues unless dealing with very large files from the D800 - and even then not to the same extent. I do have an upgraded graphics card.

<1) program crashes if I try to CONVERT more than one image from RAW to Jpeg. Sometimes even with 1 image. And, it takes forever.>
I'm not seeing this issue. I'm seeing conversion times of around 2 seconds per file for D600/D800 images - faster for smaller files. You may get slightly better performance if you save a file before converting it when you are concurrently applying edits. It also can be slow if you have prior steps that are not finished processing.

<2) Nagging tendency to file uploads in folders I didn't choose. And which are named with old names that I've changed multiple times. Arghhh!>
This is completely user controlled - in Nikon Transfer. You might take a look at workflow. I create a new folder with the date for every upload.

<3) Sluggish navigating from folder to folder.>
I see this too. It takes time to render thumbnails and large folders make it much slower. I try to keep folders at 500 images and smaller - ideally 250-300 images. That's basically one card per folder.

<4) General slowness. Even in renaming.>
I have not seen this, but I don't rename files in batches very often. Typically I see individual files renamed instantly. There was a major step to faster speed with the upgrade early this year, but it is partially offset by larger files from the D600 and D800.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 04:16 PM
#16. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 15

Los Angeles, US

Eight GB of ram explains a lot. I'm limping along on 2Gb. With a year 2000 vintage CPU.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 30-Dec-12 04:40 PM
#17. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 16

New York, US

The 2 gigs is almost certainly your problem. Most photo software — certainly CNX2 and Photoshop — are memory hogs. 4 gigs would be a minimum, 8 gigs passable*, 16 gigs very nice. By the time you subtract out your system software and anything else running, you are probably only allowing CNX2 a bit over 1 gig.

*I run 8 gigs on my office iMac and home MacBook Pro and am very happy.

Jon Kandel

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 04:48 PM
#18. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 17

Los Angeles, US

When I get my 2012 iMac 27", I'm ordering 16GB of RAM. So all this slogging through mud will soon be a distant memory.

jagdpanther Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Aug 2008Mon 31-Dec-12 03:00 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 18

Burbank, US

I have been happely using Capture NX 2 for years (along with Color Efex Pro 3 for Capture NX 2) and currently run it on a 64-bit Windows 7 system with 12GB of RAM. I don't have any issue with processing RAW files from a D800. (I use digikam for digital asset management.)

One speed tip: I assign 4GB of my system's 12GB RAM to a RAM disk and then point CNX2's caches at the RAM disk.

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012Sat 19-Jan-13 03:33 PM
671 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 19

GB

>
>One speed tip: I assign 4GB of my system's 12GB RAM to a RAM
>disk and then point CNX2's caches at the RAM disk.

I've got a spare SSD - is it worth using it as a RAM disk for NX2?

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Wed 09-Jan-13 12:11 AM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 16

Houston Texas, US

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't a PC running 8GB of RAM only give you 8GB if you are using a 64 Bit motherboard?
If you are using a 32 Bit mother board with 8 GB of RAM you only have 4GB of that memory available at any one time.
That is my current set up and I have no problems with speed except with those files from the D800. Those are s-l-o-w to load!
Perry

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 27-Jan-13 01:36 AM
12818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#22. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 20

San Jose, US

You need a 64 bit OS and a Motherboard/processor that supports the 64 bit architecture. If you are running 32 bit OS like Windows you don't even get use of all the 4GB, it is more like 3.5GB. If you run 64 bit, there is more memory freed up for your programs, so if you have been memory starved and the OS had to put stuff in virtual memory then you will se a big improvement out of even 6 GB. If you are in the habit of keeping many programs running in the background a 64 bit system and at elast 8 GB (more is better) will let you run many programs without slowing down. All of the recent Intel processors support 64 bit operation.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Sun 27-Jan-13 02:27 AM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 22

Houston Texas, US

Thank you for the clarification robsb.
I built this computer several years ago and used a motherboard and processor that runs on 32 bit. At the time 64 bit was not that common and when it comes time to build another computer, it will certainly be a 64 bit processor.

I usually do not have many background programs running and normally pictures taken with my D700 or my D300s zip through the 'save' action.
However, recently I got a D800 and those pics t-a-k-e f-o-r-e-v-e-r to save. That is why I wish I now had 64 bit.
Perry

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 29-Jan-13 08:53 AM
#24. "RE: Question about using Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 23

San Jose, US

with a 64 bit processor and a fast video card you should see a major improvement in speed.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9763 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.