Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9759
View in linear mode

Subject: "Reverse engineering?" Previous topic | Next topic
William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Fri 21-Dec-12 07:13 PM
290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Reverse engineering?"

Rambouillet, FR

A strange idea came to me this evening. If I work on a RAW file in NX2 and then finally come up with what I think is the perfect set of settings, can those settings (after saving) be put into my D700 for the in-camera jpeg processing?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 21-Dec-12 09:18 PM
5590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Reverse engineering?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 21-Dec-12 09:24 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

Not really. You can create a picture control that is used by CNX on NEFs, and the camera to store in NEFs or to create the JPG. However, those picture control adjsutments are but you are limited to only certain adjustments, including: brightness, contrast, hue, sharpness, and saturation.

Here is a link to the procedure for creating a picture control and copying it to your camera: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16557/~/modifying-picture-controls-and-saving-them-to-your-camera.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Sat 22-Dec-12 07:25 AM
290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Reverse engineering?"
In response to Reply # 1

Rambouillet, FR

Thanks for the explanation and link. Since I shoot primarily in raw, I'll just keep my mostly neutral settings in the camera for the time being and then post process for my jpegs.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 22-Dec-12 01:24 PM
8169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Reverse engineering?"
In response to Reply # 2

Atlanta, US

If you use Capture or View for post processing it's not such a bad idea. There are times when you want a good image with no processing or minimal processing.

I find the Standard picture control or something close is pretty good as a starting point. Standard includes some sharpening, contrast and saturation that can be adjusted to taste.

Neutral still includes some sharpening but is otherwise minimally processed. If you have noisy images due to high ISO or other factors, you might need to modify this picture control in post.

I find Vivid works for some situations but you need to watch skin tones, excessive saturation of bright colors, and contrast. Of course, sharpening is also there.

Each person and situation calls for small variations of these settings. I created a picture control called Neutral No Sharp for those situations where I want no processing at all

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9759 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.