Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9728
View in linear mode

Subject: "Stranger's files/folder on opening NX 2" Previous topic | Next topic
atorphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2008Sun 16-Dec-12 09:07 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Stranger's files/folder on opening NX 2"

Silver Spring, US

Happened once or twice before and I ignored. Running NX 2 vers 2.3.1 (although I updated last year and currently shows no updates available).
When it opens the top folder, named 5L4WUKDT (not one of mine), has 5 images 5 starting w/cbk (cbkCA29E4LR.jpg, cbk<2>.jpg, cbkCA23TEST.jpg, etc.). 1 is a shot of the Place Contrescarpe in Paris that appears to be shot from a 1st (U.S. 2d) floor window over the Cafe Delmas; one is of an urban street in the U.S. with a sign advertising "The Eden" condos or apartments--looks to me like Baltimore or Washington. When in Paris I'm often at the Cafe Delmas but I've never been upstairs. I live in Maryland.

Right clicking the NX2 icon tells me "The folder C:\Users\Lloyd\App.Data\Local\Temp\nsiBA42.tmp is not valid."

My security software is fully active and I've noticed no problems with anything on the PC. NX 2 seems to work just fine.

I'm a bit weirded out by this and I've asked Nikon support, but wondered if anyone here has experienced a similar phenomenon.
Attached is a resized copy of one of the images.

At the moment, I plan to remove the program, reinstall, and upgrade to the current version.

Any thoughts?

Lloyd

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Stranger's files/folder on opening NX 2
ericbowles Moderator
17th Dec 2012
Covey22 Moderator
17th Dec 2012
atorphoto Silver Member
17th Dec 2012
ericbowles Moderator
17th Dec 2012
atorphoto Silver Member
19th Dec 2012
jrp Administrator
20th Dec 2012

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 17-Dec-12 01:22 PM
8790 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Stranger's files/folder on opening NX 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Possibly images from a family member or from synching and importing images form another device.

Just delete the folder if it is still there.

I've never heard of any similar problems from Nikon, and since the location is one you have visited, it seems that the images are from someone near you. There are a lot of default settings in other software programs that can create a folder and import images. Many of them are only noticed if you are paying close attention.

Definitely update your software to the current version. Be sure to remove any odd folders.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 17-Dec-12 01:37 PM
10786 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Stranger's files/folder on opening NX 2"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Shared PC? Shared Memory card? It seems you're getting images from someone else for sure, but would be curious to know what the context is behind that. Did you buy this PC, hard drive or memory card used?

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

atorphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2008Mon 17-Dec-12 03:44 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Stranger's files/folder on opening NX 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Silver Spring, US

Thanks for your suggestions. Although the Contrescarpe is familiar territory, I don't recognize any of the other places.
I'm the original owner/purchaser of the PC and as far as I know, no one else has used it. Ditto for the CF and SD cards. The photos have no real apparent object or purpose. One of the images is blurred as if panned using a superwide angle lens like a screen grab from Google Earth streetview and at about the right height to have been shot from the top of a van.
I did a search for files with cbk and found 9, all of which were created or modified yesterday, w/names like C:\Users\Lloyd\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows . . . 1 was a close-up of the Microsoft Fixit icon.
They don't show up in my Picasa files which is where I unload them.
I let Mrs. Santa know last night that I would like a new NX 2 CD (rather than reinstalling and upgrading from 2.0.0). In the meantime, I removed the program and reinstalled with my original CD and it seems to work fine.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 17-Dec-12 05:59 PM
8790 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Stranger's files/folder on opening NX 2"
In response to Reply # 3

Atlanta, US

If you have 2.0, the download and update to the current version would be free.

My guess is someone plugged in a device that triggered an autorun or auto download of the files. I've seen that with iPhones and Blackberry devices. It could have been anyone and could happen in seconds. You might be able to read the EXIF with one of the many EXIF viewers.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

atorphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2008Wed 19-Dec-12 02:18 PM
#5. "RE: Stranger's files/folder on opening NX 2"
In response to Reply # 4

Silver Spring, US

Thank you. This morning I went to Google Earth and searched for Place de la Contrescarpe, Paris, France, and went to street view. One of the posted pictures is identical, except slightly cropped, to one of the mystery pix on my PC. I may have accidentally clicked copy during a Google search and, for whatever reason, it and the others went into a folder that NX 2 picked up for the first time on the 16th. Still something of a puzzle to me, but it doesn't seem threatening. Thanks for reminding me about the free upload. I did that to get to 2.3.1 but kept getting a "no updates available" reply with NX 2 open.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 20-Dec-12 06:52 PM
34797 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Stranger's files/folder on opening NX 2"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 20-Dec-12 06:53 PM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

For you to see an image in your computer it has to be downloaded into your computer.
You may have set those files to go into the Pictures folder (if you are on a Windows PC).
I have it set to go into a temporary folder that gets cleaned every time the machine is re-started.
Your own images are best kept in a separate folder. If in a separate drive even better.
Then you can point View NX2 and Capture NX2 to read from such folder.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9728 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.