Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9687
View in linear mode

Subject: "Unearthed my old Capture 4 - do I need to update?" Previous topic | Next topic
D2xer Registered since 31st Oct 2012Thu 29-Nov-12 07:05 AM
195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Unearthed my old Capture 4 - do I need to update?"
Thu 29-Nov-12 07:43 AM by D2xer

Oakland, US

Don't laugh - me and my D2x and D2hs have got along fine for years now without any software more recent than PSE6 8>O

I did however buy Nikon Capture 4 'some time ago', and tonight (wooden you know) I wanted to use the Camera Control feature for some macro bellows work.

So I installed Cap7 on my new Win7 laptop, and downloaded whatever updates were available. The editing software opened up OK... but the Camera Control function would not open or even recognize my D2x 8>/ ??

(I tried running it in WinXP compatability mode with no luck.)

So I'm guessing I need to upgrade/update to Capture NX? 8>/

Or, is there some way to still use Capture 4 with Win7? (I can hear you laughing again! 8>)

(PS - If I do need to upgrade, what's the best route and 'how far' do I need to go? I only need the use of Camera Control.)

thanks
D2xer

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Unearthed my old Capture 4 - do I need to update?
mklass Platinum Member
29th Nov 2012
D2xer
29th Nov 2012
cliddell Silver Member
30th Nov 2012
D2xer
30th Nov 2012
robsb Platinum Member
01st Dec 2012

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 29-Nov-12 04:35 PM
6060 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Unearthed my old Capture 4 - do I need to update?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

As far as I know, Capture NX does not contain any camera control functionality. Instead, Nikon offers Camera Control Pro http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Imaging-Software/25366/Camera-Control-Pro-2.html

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

D2xer Registered since 31st Oct 2012Thu 29-Nov-12 04:46 PM
195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Unearthed my old Capture 4 - do I need to update?"
In response to Reply # 1

Oakland, US

>As far as I know, Capture NX does not contain any camera
>control functionality. Instead, Nikon offers Camera Control
>Pro
>

Thanks.
That sucks. I don't think I can do the $69 upgrade path from NC4 to Camera Control Pro, can I?

Ok, no problem - I'll just find another laptop with XP and continue using my old software 8>)

cheers
D2xer

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Fri 30-Nov-12 03:08 PM
1002 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Unearthed my old Capture 4 - do I need to update?"
In response to Reply # 2

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi D2xer,

I would persevere with NC4. BTW is it Version 4.4 which I believe is the "newest"?

I sometimes use NC4.4 because raw NEF files saved after editing can be better dealt with by ViewNX2 than NEF files saved from CNX2.

However when I need remote Camera Control I use the NCC linked to NC4.4 and it works as perfectly with my D70s and D200 cameras as the day I downloaded the program some years ago...

Yes, I am on XP and that may be the reason.

Good luck!

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

D2xer Registered since 31st Oct 2012Fri 30-Nov-12 04:28 PM
#4. "RE: Unearthed my old Capture 4 - do I need to update?"
In response to Reply # 3

Oakland, US

Thanks Clive. Yes, I'll keep using NC4. It's only v. 4.2.1, but decent enough. Especially now that you need to buy TWO separate software packages to accomplish the same thing(!)
(I see that Nikon doesn't even support Camera Control Pro for Win7, but offers a 'workaround'.)

XP it is then, onwards and backwards!

cheers
D2xer

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sat 01-Dec-12 09:34 PM
12966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Unearthed my old Capture 4 - do I need to update?"
In response to Reply # 4

San Jose, US

The latest Camera control Pro is Camera Control Pro 2 and it works fine on Win 7 and also passes compatibility to run on Win 8.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9687 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.