nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9671
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question about Capture NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Tue 27-Nov-12 12:28 PM
1589 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question about Capture NX2"

Frederick, US

I have used CNX2 for years, but have never saved in a NEF format. When I do (after cropping and straightening in NX2) and then reopen the saved image in PS/CS6 (starts ACR) what appears is the original NEF image. Why is this happening? Can the NEF not be saved in a modified configuration? And if not, why is the NEF saving option even offered?

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, D750, and a handful of lenses.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Question about Capture NX2
gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014
27th Nov 2012
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
27th Nov 2012
walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
27th Nov 2012
slothead Gold Member
27th Nov 2012
fmrnykr Silver Member
28th Nov 2012
walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
28th Nov 2012

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Tue 27-Nov-12 01:54 PM
3753 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question about Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

The image data is not changed by CNX2 (of any other software that edits the NEF). CNX2 adds the edit steps to the meta data in the file and updates an embedded JPG in the NEF file to reflect the latest edits. If you save the NEF and then run CNX2 again, CNX2 retrieves the image data and applies the latest set of edit steps. Thus subsequent runs of CNX2 will let you pick up where you left off. CNX2 will also let you save versions of the edit steps and recall them by name, so that you can have multiple editing scenarios in the NEF meta data.

Most other software is unable to interpret the CNX2 edit steps to render the picture and thus will start from the never modified image data in the NEF.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 27-Nov-12 01:54 PM
6232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question about Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

The edits that you make in CNX are saved with the NEF as a set of instructions that the software uses when displaying on screen or saving to another format. Those instructions are CNX specific. ACR/PS/LR cannot read them, so you continue to see the base file.

This is why editing a NEF in CNX or VNX is non-distructive, the original data isn't modified, only instructions are added and a JPG preview and/or thumbnail of the edited image is embedded in the NEF.

I hope that makes sense.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 27-Nov-12 02:00 PM
14880 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question about Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Every raw program stores its edits differently, including NX2, and they're not compatible with each other (with some exceptions within the same brand of converter). NX2 stores its edits in the NEF. If you want to re-edit your NEFs originally edited in Capture NX2 at a later date (which makes sense), you'll need to save them in the NEF format and then use Capture NX2 to edit them. Photoshop can't read the Capture NX2 edits (and neither can ViewNX2), but you can save the results as a TIFF and then open that file into Photoshop. If you want to edit your raw files within the Photoshop environment, you'll need to use ACR throughout the process.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Tue 27-Nov-12 02:33 PM
1589 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Question about Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 3

Frederick, US

Thanks guys. I'm sure I should have known this but my memory ain't what it used to be.

Thanks again,

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, D750, and a handful of lenses.

fmrnykr Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Mar 2010Wed 28-Nov-12 07:01 AM
194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Question about Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 4

Oakland, US

Tom,

You can configure CNX-2 to open you NEF in another editing program, i.e. Photoshop, as a 16 bit TIFF. You just have to set the application in your preferences in the EDIT list.

I'm not sure if the NEF instructions are imbedded when the TIFF makes its move. Hopefully one our more learned Nikonians can come to our aid.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Bob White
San Francisco Bay Area (BWO Brooklyn, N.Y.)

Don't push the river, let it flow.

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/314628/cat/500

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 05th May 2002Wed 28-Nov-12 01:17 PM
14880 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Question about Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 5

Colorado Springs, US

Once you save the file as a TIFF, the original edits are no longer accessible, but their effects are seen in the file.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9671 Previous topic | Next topic