Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9666
View in linear mode

Subject: "NEF vanished" Previous topic | Next topic
expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Sun 25-Nov-12 07:41 AM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NEF vanished"
Sun 25-Nov-12 07:41 AM by expat

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Any explanation please?

I have several hundred NEFs all saved in number sequence.
One image has diappeared when viewed in Capture NX2 ie no 0003 from its folder.
Unfortunately it was not also saved as a version but I do have an intact TIFF.

The attached image is of the offender which appears like this in Windows Viewer complete with its number and deatils even though the night scene itself is missing apart from the moon.

I can understand it somehow became corrupt but why does Windows retain so much when MX2 has lost all trace?
The attached is a straight jpeg from the NEF

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

fmrnykr Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Mar 2010Wed 28-Nov-12 06:18 AM
179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NEF vanished"
In response to Reply # 0

Oakland, US

David,

I've encountered something similar and I've found that NX-2 is a little fussy about ratings.

If I've accidently given a photo a star rating, which I don't like to do, and try to open a folder without that star rating, I cannot see any photos in the folder. I have to move the star indicator to the right until I can see my photos.

I've done numerous uninstalls, registry wipes and reinstalls but nothing has helped.

I don't know if it's a quirk in the software or what.

The fact that you can still see it in the windows viewer means it's still there.

Download a free copy of View NX-2 and have a look at your folder and I think you'll see your photo.

I don't know if this will help or you can understand any of it, but I tried.

Hope it helps.

Bob

Bob White
San Francisco Bay Area (BWO Brooklyn, N.Y.)

Don't push the river, let it flow.

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/314628/cat/500

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Wed 28-Nov-12 07:33 AM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NEF vanished"
In response to Reply # 1

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Thanks Bob, I will look again at the ratings etc.

I do have View NX2 (but dont use it) however as suggested I had a look and find that the image is there looking just as it does in Windows Viewer.
The difference is that View NX2 shows all the image /camera info with histograms showing the RGB colours but all pushed up the left axis.
The original RAW is a night shot but of a bright scene apart from the moon which is still there.

ps just had another look after several days and the image is back in Capture NX2 (& Photo Mechanic) but with the same problem ie as my posted image. Very strange as until now it was not there at all in Capture NX2.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

fmrnykr Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Mar 2010Thu 29-Nov-12 06:02 AM
179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NEF vanished"
In response to Reply # 2

Oakland, US

David,

You can turn off all of those dropdown items by going to the top of the frame, mid right hand side and you'll see a bold "i" icon, a histogram icon, full frame icon, etc.

You can toggle these items on or off.

Hope that helps.

Bob

Bob White
San Francisco Bay Area (BWO Brooklyn, N.Y.)

Don't push the river, let it flow.

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/314628/cat/500

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9666 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.