Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9643
View in linear mode

Subject: "My Capture NX2 wont read NEF files from D3S" Previous topic | Next topic
EdT Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2006Wed 21-Nov-12 03:29 AM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"My Capture NX2 wont read NEF files from D3S"
Wed 21-Nov-12 03:31 AM by EdT

Wilberforce, AU

I replaced a D300 with a D300S, and a D3 with a D3S.
My View NX2 will open raw files from the D3S and the D300S, but Capture NX2 will not open those files. I get a "Cannot load file..." message. Yet it will open raw files shot with my old D300 and D3.

DX0 will open raw files from the new cameras, and I normally go Raw > DX0 > jpg.

My View NX2 is Ver 2.1.1
My Capture NX2 is Ver 2.0.0

I know there are later versions, but everything works fine with these, and I don't want to rock the boat unduly.

PC is an I7 running Windows 7. 64bit.

Any thoughts on where my problem might be ?

Ed

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: My Capture NX2 wont read NEF files from D3S
Del
21st Nov 2012
fmrnykr Silver Member
21st Nov 2012
Gromit44
21st Nov 2012
Gromit44
21st Nov 2012
Gromit44
21st Nov 2012
EdT Silver Member
22nd Nov 2012
ericbowles Moderator
23rd Nov 2012

Del Registered since 04th Nov 2006Wed 21-Nov-12 04:19 AM
444 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: My Capture NX2 wont read NEF files from D3S"
In response to Reply # 0

Claremont, US

I still would look to see what the updates actually do by going to the Nikon website. I think the current versions are 2.3.5 and 2.6 but I didn't look to see which version accomodated the needs of individual camera models.

del

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

fmrnykr Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Mar 2010Wed 21-Nov-12 06:09 AM
170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: My Capture NX2 wont read NEF files from D3S"
In response to Reply # 1

Oakland, US

I think you should rock the boat. It appears that the updates to CNX-2 enable it to read all of the newer camera's files.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Bob White
San Francisco Bay Area (BWO Brooklyn, N.Y.)

Don't push the river, just let it flow.

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/314628/cat/500

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012Wed 21-Nov-12 01:25 PM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: My Capture NX2 wont read NEF files from D3S"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

I think the first version of Capture NX that supported the D3s was v2.2.3 - http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10045-10382

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012Wed 21-Nov-12 01:38 PM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: My Capture NX2 wont read NEF files from D3S"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 21-Nov-12 01:52 PM by Gromit44

GB

>My Capture NX2 is Ver 2.0.0

You can't go straight from v2.0.0 to v2.3.5 (the latest version) - you need to get to v2.3.0 (or v2.3.4) first.

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18020/~/capture-nx-2---2.3.5

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012Wed 21-Nov-12 01:49 PM
#5. "RE: My Capture NX2 wont read NEF files from D3S"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

The versions I used (PC not Mac) were these:

EdT Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2006Thu 22-Nov-12 04:17 AM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: My Capture NX2 wont read NEF files from D3S"
In response to Reply # 0

Wilberforce, AU

Thank you all.

I upgraded 2.3.0 > 2.3.5, plus VNX to 2.6.0. Problem solved. Boat did not rock one little bit. Perhaps I should show more trust in Nikon software.

Ed

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 23-Nov-12 04:02 PM
8521 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: My Capture NX2 wont read NEF files from D3S"
In response to Reply # 6

Atlanta, US

You should also see a significant improvement in processing speed with the updates.

I have only seen a couple of cases where there was any reason to hold off on View and Capture updates. In both cases there were relatively quick workarounds or fixes.

Most of the members here are pretty good about trying updates and providing feedback on any issues. If there are problems, you will normally see something here within a few days or a week. Otherwise it is safe to update.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9643 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.