Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9637
View in linear mode

Subject: "Windows 8 and NEF files view" Previous topic | Next topic
Highlander_Italy Registered since 09th May 2012Tue 20-Nov-12 09:21 PM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Windows 8 and NEF files view"

Milano, IT

I just upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 64 bit to Windows 8 64 bit and wonder what's the best tool for NEF files view.

Can I install the Nikon Codecs made for Windows 7?

Thanks

Gianluca

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Wed 21-Nov-12 03:56 AM
286 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Windows 8 and NEF files view"
In response to Reply # 0

Ayden, US

If not you should be able to get one from Microsoft. I do not remember which codec I installed. I know I looked at one from Microsoft and Nikon. When I upgraded from win7 to win8, my installed codec worked fine.

Laverne

fmrnykr Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Mar 2010Wed 21-Nov-12 06:13 AM
175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Windows 8 and NEF files view"
In response to Reply # 1

Oakland, US

Why not Nikon View NX2? It's free and reads all of the NEF codes.

According to Nikon Europe, Nikon will be supporting Windows 8.

Here's the link: https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/54575

Hope this helps.

Bob

Bob White
San Francisco Bay Area (BWO Brooklyn, N.Y.)

Don't push the river, just let it flow.

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/314628/cat/500

Highlander_Italy Registered since 09th May 2012Wed 21-Nov-12 07:47 AM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Windows 8 and NEF files view"
In response to Reply # 2

Milano, IT

>Why not Nikon View NX2? It's free and reads all of the NEF
>codes.

Bob, I'd like to avoid to install another piece of software just for photo browsing.
My intention, same as on Windows 7, is to use Microsoft Explorer to preview the photos as any other files.

Thanks

Gianluca

Highlander_Italy Registered since 09th May 2012Wed 21-Nov-12 07:57 AM
#4. "RE: Windows 8 and NEF files view"
In response to Reply # 1

Milano, IT

Got it!

Microsoft Windows 8 codecs available here:
http://www.nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Nikon & Nikonians Imaging Software (Public) topic #9637 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.