nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Top 5 impacts of switching NX2/Nik/PM5 to LR4/CS6 ?

newbird

Neuville, near Quebec City, CA
2010 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
newbird Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006
Mon 19-Nov-12 09:52 PM

Hi,

I love NX2 + Color Efex Pro + PM5. I feel I lose no quality from my raw files (D800 and D200) and it seems easier than the alternatives.

However, I'm retiring at the end of 2013 and want to increase my burgeonning photo business (shoot, organize files, PP, print Epson, sell fine art and digital files, teach). I specialize in landscape and nature.

In order to prepare myself for a pro-level service, I have switched to FX in 2012 and bought a new computer. I plan to up-stage PP, printing and file cataloguing in 2013. In 2014, I'll focus on applying my business plan and start serious marketing.

I would prefer to keep my actual workflow but I am uncertain about its future. 2013 would be the best time for me to move to an alternative workflow.

What would be the 5 main issues to switch from NX2/ColorEfexPro/PM5 to LR4 or CS6?

Personnally, I see the following top 5:

- learn a more complicated and less efficient user interface
- replace Nik Color Efex Pro by other products, loose the unique fully integrated user interface of my workflow
- much higher costs
- much larger files with sidecars
- save my best already-processed photos in TIFF for potential reuse/reprint (I presently save in NEF and JPEG)

And I assume I may loose image quality as only CNX2 uses the parameters of my camera.

On the other hand, I would be joining a much larger user community with all the advantages (books, add-ons, classes, etc.)

Your advices will be very appreciated, as usual !

Regards,

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Top 5 impacts of switching NX2/Nik/PM5 to LR4/CS6 ? JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
20th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Top 5 impacts of switching NX2/Nik/PM5 to LR4/CS6 ? newbird Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
20th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Top 5 impacts of switching NX2/Nik/PM5 to LR4/CS6 ? walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography
20th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Top 5 impacts of switching NX2/Nik/PM5 to LR4/CS6 ? newbird Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
20th Nov 2012
     Reply message RE: Top 5 impacts of switching NX2/Nik/PM5 to LR4/CS6 ? walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography
20th Nov 2012
20th Nov 2012
20th Nov 2012
          Reply message RE: Top 5 impacts of switching NX2/Nik/PM5 to LR4/CS6 ? pshnikchch Silver Member
21st Nov 2012
21st Nov 2012
                    Reply message RE: Top 5 impacts of switching NX2/Nik/PM5 to LR4/CS6 ? pshnikchch Silver Member
21st Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Top 5 impacts of switching NX2/Nik/PM5 to LR4/CS6 ? mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
20th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Top 5 impacts of switching NX2/Nik/PM5 to LR4/CS6 ? JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
21st Nov 2012
21st Nov 2012

G